Best non-Tikka lightweight rifle under $1500 today?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sauer 100 or Barrett Fieldcraft if you can find one for a realistic price (good luck). At the price of a used Barrett give me a Sako 85 though.

KenLee

WKR
My brother, who is really into rifles, insists that the most accurate rifle he owns is the $275 T/C jr model .308 he bought for his kids. Essentially told me that any time the holes aren't touching at 100 yards it's his fault, not the rifles. My guess is its not a model that's consistently that good, but I feel like you really dont need to pay a lot for performance that just a few years ago was considered harder to get.
It's a TC Compass which isn't being produced because S&W basically parked TC and walked away with the keys. Usually now $400 IF you can find one.

z987k

WKR
Sauer 100 or Barrett Fieldcraft if you can find one for a realistic price (good luck). At the price of a used Barrett give me a Sako 85 though.
The fieldcraft and the sako are nothing alike at all. Not even close. I think the FC is wildly overpriced, but so is Sako.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The fieldcraft and the sako are nothing alike at all. Not even close. I think the FC is wildly overpriced, but so is Sako.
The request was a rifle comparable in out of the box accuracy and durability to a T3X. These are two that I’d recommend, although over the stated budget. Never said they were “alike” other than those two factors.

I’ve owned 6 Sako 85s and 4 75s before the 85s came out. I’d never call them overpriced, but everyone has different budgets.

sndmn11

WKR
This

Plus this
Or this depending on comb taste

Plus

Plus https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2988124114
Plus https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100886220?pid=965194

Plus

z987k

WKR
No idea. I just came across them because I’m moving towards shooting supressed full time so I’m just looking at guns that come ready to take a can.

I suppose if they aren’t ceracoated stainless then I have no interest.
I sent them an e-mail. It's not stainless. Too bad.

KenLee

WKR
Not a super lightweight but Sauer 100’s are right around 6.5 lbs. I bought one earlier this year and the thing shoots. The factory stock is very stiff, not cheap feeling and the only plastic on it is the magazine. Great adjustable trigger too. Don’t see many people talking about them but they are worth a look and can be had for around $700 if you keep an eye out.
You must be tall. The LOP is too long to fit me.

The ones with the palm and cheek swell. :D

I've no idea what you're talking about. Maybe some high gloss wood stock from bygone years? The standard xbolt sporter stocks dont have any monte carlo cheek piece, just straight back that's the same on right and left sides. The have a modest sporter grip but imo it is better for me than any of the other factory traditional sporter stocks i've tried.

I've no idea what you're talking about. Maybe some high gloss wood stock from bygone years? The standard xbolt sporter stocks dont have any monte carlo cheek piece, just straight back that's the same on right and left sides. The have a modest sporter grip but imo it is better for me than any of the other factory traditional sporter stocks i've tried.
I agree. My X-bolt stock is very thin and streamlined. Points easy. Reminds me of a nice upland bird gun the way it handles.

I've owned quite a few of the rifles mentioned. So far, IME, nothing in the price range comes close to the Tikkas for out of the box accuracy and long term durability. Not saying that the other models mentioned aren't good guns or that they won't likely provide years of good service, just that I've found the Tikkas to be better in one way or another.

I still own and use quite a few Browning's. I love their tang safeties, and I like their low bolt throw. I also like the floor plate mounted magazines on the A-Bolt 1-2's. They've all been accurate shooters. I main thing I don't like about them is that they have limited aftermarket parts available, especially in LH. Also, I have had a few mechanical issues here and there with a couple; nothing big or difficult to fix, but I just don't have trouble with the Tikkas I have, and they get shot and bounced around more frequently than anything else I have.

The Tikkas also have robust aftermarket parts availability; by extension, you can make them into whatever configuration fits your sensibilities.

Last edited:

Long Cut

WKR
It's a TC Compass which isn't being produced because S&W basically parked TC and walked away with the keys. Usually now $400 IF you can find one.

I own a TC Compass in 6.5 CM that I bought on sale plus a $75 Rebate.
Gun cost me after FFL/Shipping $225.

I got around .40-.75” groups at 100 yards with handloads. The stock and action is cheap, but a sub $250 truck gun that averages .5” MOA ....

The value is in the 5R Rifling. Change the stock and bolt handle, adjust the trigger springs and it will give Tikkas a run for their money for half the price.