Best Long Range Fixed Blade Broadhead?

How do the Silver Flames do at longer range in terms of accuracy?

I was a die hard slick trick fan (still am really) but bought the 125gr 1.5 inch German Kinetic XL just to play around. I could not believe how well this 1.5 inch BH shot out to 60 yards. Never tested it beyond. I will say this, I agree with above, they fly better than the slicks at 60 based on my backyard testing. I could not ask for more. 1.5 inch, COC, and by far the sharpest BH out there.... I love them....

Having said that: I always tell people, use what flies best out of your setup. I go against the grain on the whole "tune tune tune" subject. Yes, tune is a given and important, but you will find, some setups simply better with a certain head/arrow combination. Not saying others won't fly - they will....but i have seen a slick trick fly like a dart, put in on another arrow, same shooter, same bow, same so called spine arrow, same length, fly like hell. I think this is why you see so many people passionate about a certain head.

I once had the owner of one of the largest Hoyt dealers in the country tell me.... I like the broadhead that flies the best out of my setup..the light came on for me and he was right...if you test it. They will all kill critters....

I switched to a trad favorite last year and find the long taper of the Woodsman Elite to fly like field tips and penetrate very well.

ELITEscrewinanimation.gif

Elky_man

FNG
testing done using a hooter shooter show Wac-Em's for best long range shooting.

Gotta have a well tuned bow first off!

+1 WAC-EMs or G5 Striker (basically same thing) both available in 125gr. I shot my bull last year at 72 yards uphill with the G5 Striker and it flew like a field point! One and done shot 2/3 of the arrow was hanging out the far side with a soda straw wide stream of blood running off my BH

AitchAr

FNG
I have a ton of the Ulmer Edge and love them so it will take a lot for me to go back to fixed

Joe, what is it about the Ulmer's that you like so much? I've been using QAD Exodus for the last two years, but have been thinking of trying the Ulmer Edge.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ulmer Edge flies like a dart. Extremely accurate. This last year I did have one fail. One blade broke off and the other didn't deploy. Last time I will shoot a mechanical. If things can go wrong they seem to when it is the worst time.

The Ulmer Edge flies like a dart. Extremely accurate. This last year I did have one fail. One blade broke off and the other didn't deploy. Last time I will shoot a mechanical. If things can go wrong they seem to when it is the worst time.

Same here I loved the flight and I killed a few animals with them but I shot a bear last year with them that I'm almost sure something failed on the head. I'm shooting fixed from here on out not worth the occasional failure to me.

AitchAr

FNG
Thanks for the info fellas. Goes without saying, but the increased chances for failure of mechanicals is why I've held off trying them so far.

The Ulmer had my eye because the design appears to be less failure prone than other mechanicals.

desertcj

WKR
I've used Slick Trick Mag 125's with good results out to 50yds. I wouldn't call that long range, but that's all I can swing with my current setup. A new stab and a single pin slider and I believe I'd be game on out to 70/75ish? Who knows, hopefully I can swing a few upgrades soon. I did recently try some Rage Extremes and I have to say that they shoot good. Slick Tricks shoot good enough for me that I don't like to shoot more than one at a time at closer then 40yds.

MattB

WKR
I have heard a fair bit of negative anecdotal evidence on the Ulmer heads in regards to lack of blade deployment or breakage. That is not encouraging as I have 6 sitting in the garage.

ChanceH

FNG
I have had good flight out of Wac 'em for elk set ups. However, I do agree that the blades seem to get trashed easier. I am going to definitely play with some muzzy trocar, shuttle T, and exodus this year and see which one my set up likes the most.

As for the Ulmer edge, i know this was a thread on fixed blade, but i see it was brought up. I will say that I have shot a dozen deer and pigs with them and they all resulted in quick recoveries. However, I did have one on a mule deer I shot that got HORRIBLE penetration. Upon inspection i couldn't see that it hadn't deployed, but i cant explain the poor penetration, so it may have not preformed correctly. It was not a shoulder shot and even with the rib it hit should have not been that bad.

I used to have small bow shop and had this question asked often. At the time I sold a ton of the old 3 bld Rocky Mt Blitz. It had off-set blades and always flew and impacted to the same point as the field point. It maintained this flite out to as far as you could shoot. You can be skeptical about that claim, but I was so confident selling it, that I offered a money back guarantee! I NEVER had anyone come back, except to buy more. Then Rocky Mt. got bought out.

I see that Muzzy may have re-introduced that design. They are selling it as the Trocar. It is available in 100 gr and have a 125 gr in the xbow model. I would try it.

BTW, I usually tuned their bows, but customers still had form issues. This head seemed to compensate for those errors. I believe it was due to the blades not being perpendicular to the shaft. Interestingly NAP came out with a similar design...with the opposite off-set. I did not get the same results with that head.

For what it's worth, I see in the latest Extreme Elk mag that Cam Hanes used this head on Australian water buffalo.

I have some Muzzy Trocar 100 grain heads I'm testing. Have not given them the long range test yet but they are very sharp and hold an edge very good and should be easy enough for me to resharpen. They have a hardened steel ferrel that is incredibly strong. If they are good for me long range this might be my new BH for a while. And yes, I believe Cam Hanes has been shooting them for a year or more maybe.

For mechanicals, I've never had a Rage 2-blade let me down. I think I have 3 turkey kills and 4-5 deer kills with them. Huge entry and exit wounds. Attached photo of entry wound.
e4a8uzej.jpg
So far so good. Have not tried the rage extremes or the hyperdermic.

BSeals71

WKR
Personal experience, G5 Montec. I've heard a lot of great things about the Trophy Taker Shuttle T-Lock. I would have said Solid Broadhead if they kept making them in S30V steel, but not worth the price now.

Title says most of it but must be available in 125 grain. Looking for a broadhead for this year's Stone Sheep hunt where I may have to take a long shot and/or a shot in windy conditions.

a3dhunter

WKR
I really liked strikers. They were scary sharp and flew excellent. Only thing I didn't like about them was the brass ring. Once the head was used it got dents in the brass collar. And if you didn't line it up correcty it had a slight wobble. It's actually the reason I switched to the exodus it has the exact design just a much thicker steel ring.
I had the same experience with the Strikers, G5 stood behind their product and let me do an exchange for a different head.
After testing several heads, I started using the Shuttle T's.
I may switch to Terminal T's this year, or may just stick with what I have.

ktowncamo

WKR
Any suggestions on a longer range fixed broadhead that is deep six compatable? Slick Trick seems to be one of the consistently mentioned that is made with deep six.

I like the idea of the Terminal Ts and Wacems having straight blades. I ran Exodus straights last year. All of them chucked up in the Lansky and were sharper than new after bone and dirt stops. What's the story behind the Wacems "getting trashed" easier?

That said, how do the two compare one vs. the other?

chenashot

FNG
I like the magnus stingers, most accurate that I've shot out to 70yds.

I'll second that. This year I will be shooting the Strickland Helix. Two blade, single bevel. Shot the Anarchy's last year and they flew great and trashed the deer I killed, but the blades were very thin and were trashed after hitting two ribs. Took way too much sharpening to get the edge back, and even then the tip was slightly curled. Not what I was looking for in a re sharpenable head.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
I'm in process of testing VPA 125s (both vented and non vented), Silver Flames and Slick Trick standards. At 60 yards in a light breeze all except the non vented VPAs are holding 8" groups which is poor IMO. I was getting several fliers with the non vented heads that nearly missed the target. The Silver Flames and Slick Tricks seem to be more consistent than the vented VPAs.

After shooting Sunday and not being pleased with the groups (I was consistently in the X ring with field points). I took a hard look at my bow and with lipstick I found the bottom fletches were making contact with the rest. I swapped out the launcher arm and fixed that so it'll be interesting to see how much the groups tighten up.

What was good about shooting with the light amount of contact is that I learned which two of the fixed heads are most forgiving so I've now got it down to two.

Last edited: