Best Long Range Fixed Blade Broadhead?

Sighting in is not a hunting situation. Neither is shooting at another peice of steel.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 100 grain Muzzy 4-Blade Broadheads. They fly straight and I don't have any drop compared to my field tips out to 60-70yds. I arrowed my elk at 55yrds this year and the arrow passed through the backside shoulder blade completely on a quartering away shot. These broadheads have great penetration, fly straight, kill animals and little drop at long distances...

MattB

WKR
And sighting your bow in is a hunting situation. Your preparing to hunt. I could have lied and shot a feeder leg and there is zero difference. I still shot something that broke a blade. It also took HALF of the blade off and did zero damage to the VPA. When you pay 90$ for something you expect better. At least I do. I'll stick with my German kinetic silver flames. They are thinker and tougher anyway

Ordinarily I would not respond on a thread such as this, but sighting in your bow is not a hunting situation - not unless you are regulatorily required to have a hunting license on your person in order to do it legally. Folks need to make an honest distinction between a defective product and poor judgment on the part of the consumer. Trust me - I have ruined numerous BH's and arrows by shooting 2-3 arrows at the same spot, but the fact that you are shooting at a target and not an animal precludes your ability to honestly use the Solid warranty.

Ordinarily I would not respond on a thread such as this, but sighting in your bow is not a hunting situation - not unless you are regulatorily required to have a hunting license on your person in order to do it legally. Folks need to make an honest distinction between a defective product and poor judgment on the part of the consumer. Trust me - I have ruined numerous BH's and arrows by shooting 2-3 arrows at the same spot, but the fact that you are shooting at a target and not an animal precludes your ability to honestly use the Solid warranty.

Please tell me what the difference is between hitting a rock or feeder leg and hitting shooting at a deer or hitting the back of another arrow. There is no difference. Both shots hit something and broke the broadhead. They should just not do the warranty is all I am saying. And I am honest by the way. Never told them or tried to tell them it was shooting at an animal.

I have ruined many broadheads too. And never wanted a replacement. I don't think any of my broadheads have any kind of a warranty.

If you want to buy a real "high dollar" COC, buy a German Kinetic :) The Solid steel steel is too hard IMO. Sounds good on paper, and holds an edge, but why do you need a broad head to hold an edge anyway? It needs to be sharp for one shot. I will take a less brittle steel all day long (i.e.: GK) IMO...

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Question for you Wac'em owners. Are the blades sharpenable after you use them on game or send one in the dirt? It seems I read that they don't last long.

I have lost count how many animals that I have shot with Wac'em heads of all sorts. The blades do dull fairly easy and I have broken my fair share. Almost every time I hit a rib it broke the blade. They do not take a lot of abuse but are the most accurate heads that I have ever shot. Just wish they made them in a deep six so I didn't have to start shooting other heads. I tried using the Penetrator II inserts so I could keep shooting a standard head with my Injexions but didn't like the combination.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
Question for Wac em users: Is there any issue with noise when shot because they are vented. The only other vented I have tried with VPA's and they had a teriible hiss sound when traveling through the air. Never shot the Wac Em heads. Thanks

MattB

WKR
Please tell me what the difference is between hitting a rock or feeder leg and hitting shooting at a deer or hitting the back of another arrow. There is no difference. Both shots hit something and broke the broadhead. They should just not do the warranty is all I am saying. And I am honest by the way. Never told them or tried to tell them it was shooting at an animal.

I have ruined many broadheads too. And never wanted a replacement. I don't think any of my broadheads have any kind of a warranty.

To simplfy, the difference from shooting through a deer or missing a deer and hitting a feeder leg and hitting another arrow while sighting in is that the former is a hunting situation (i.e. in the act of hunting) while the latter is not. As a result, the former meets the criterion necessary to invoke the warranty and the latter does not.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Question for Wac em users: Is there any issue with noise when shot because they are vented. The only other vented I have tried with VPA's and they had a teriible hiss sound when traveling through the air. Never shot the Wac Em heads. Thanks

I've never noticed any hiss or noise with them.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member

I too have never been told my Wac'em's had any undue noise when shooting them. I have never noticed and neither did any of the animals.

If I were going on a once in a lifetime hunt like this, I would use the same broadheads I do for everything else-VPA. Easy to get scary sharp, flew great for me out to 86 yards which is as far as I've ever shot, incredibly strong and you dont have to worry about replacing the blades.

SDHNTR

WKR

Let me guess, you shot the 125 vented. They can hiss some due to the unique harmonics created at that blade thickness. Never heard anyone complain about a 100gr vented hissing, and the big 1 1/4" 125 does not hiss, nor do the unvented models. So you have options if you still want to shoot a solid head. Ive killed too many critters to count with the regular vented 125s, and while i can hear some hiss, I can honestly say that I've never had an animal react to it, that i could tell anyway. Including, jumpy whitetails and western shots on critters out to 70 yards. They hear the sound of the bow long before they hear the hiss of the arrow.

I shot Wacems for a couple years. Very sharp and flew great, but the paper thin blades and the tiny tab of metal holding the rear of the blade into the ferrule (due to the vent design) would break easily on even very light bone hits. Forget about it if you hit a shoulder. I shot a small doe through the offside shoulder and the head only had one blade left when it poked out the other side. Maybe they have fixed this issue now. If they did it would be a fine choice for a replaceable blade head.

OP
T

Tilzbow

WKR
I've got this down to 125 Slick Trick standards, the new 125 vented VPA (based on the non-vented 150 grain) and 125 grain German Kinetic Silver Flames. I'm currently sorting through 20 arrows and shooting each with 4 different types of broad heads (the 3 above and an unvented VPA) to find the best arrows of the bunch and I'm hoping to net 15 or so "perfect" arrows. So far I've only found one of 12 arrows that wouldn't shoot all four heads good to 60 yards so that's going well. Through this process I've eliminated the unvented head from the running (not that it was in the running...) and it seems the Silver Flame is the front runner at this time; it just seems to hit the same with every arrow even I don't shoot it perfectly. That said I took several shots with the Slick Trick in some gusting cross winds this week and it shot right with my field points at 40 - 50 yards.

Since I've got at least 18 of each type of head it's going to come down to which head I feel most confident shooting after the next month or two of practice and I plan to start shooting the three combos at 80+ yards once I find the best of the 20 arrows.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have lost count how many animals that I have shot with Wac'em heads of all sorts. The blades do dull fairly easy and I have broken my fair share. Almost every time I hit a rib it broke the blade. They do not take a lot of abuse but are the most accurate heads that I have ever shot. Just wish they made them in a deep six so I didn't have to start shooting other heads. I tried using the Penetrator II inserts so I could keep shooting a standard head with my Injexions but didn't like the combination.

Have you tried the Firenock outsert with your Injexions yet? Might be worth a try. Much stronger than the Penetrator outsert and you can still use your standard thread heads. Good luck.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried the Firenock outsert with your Injexions yet? Might be worth a try. Much stronger than the Penetrator outsert and you can still use your standard thread heads. Good luck.

I have not. Tell us about them!