Best all-around butchering knife

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
At home one alternate suggestion to the victorinox that both work well and are affordable are the Mercer Culinary Millennia 6" curved boning knives. Typically $13.5 on amazon in a variety of colors to suit your fancy. I have a couple and enjoy them much more than my black handle victorinox. They hold an edge decently and sharpen up well.

Here's a green one: https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culin...+inch+curved+boning+knife,aps,278&sr=8-8&th=1

Haven't had a chance to use yet, but I just picked up a 6" Northern Arm filet knife in Magnacut. They also have a 9" in S35V. It has quite a bit more flex then the Vix. Hoping the new steel will get though the butchering process without switching up knives or stopping to sharpen. I envision this knife paired with a stiffer knife for the butchering and the new one for trimming and the like.

TheGDog

WKR
This year gonna try this Argali Carbon. Thing cuts like a lightsaber! (Havalon as backup.)

Lil Benchmade Mini-Bugout S30V w/ Orange handle scales clipped in my pocket, for everything else.

For butchering/processing at home, shaving off the silver skin as well, the Buck Paklite Boning knife has worked really well for those tasks!

When I need to cut apart a rack of ribs in the kitchen and separate the ribs from attachment to vertebral bones, I'll use a Schrade DeerSlayer I happen to have. Big beefy blade that's too heavy for in the field in my opinion.

For a better option for use as steak knives in the house, from when I shattered my wrist a few years back... the shape of the Schrade SharpFinger was the only steak knives I could use that would allow me to cut my steak while not being able to apply hardly any force with the hand that holds the fork... because that was the hand with the shattered wrist. The shape of the SharpFinger blade made it so I could pretty much just cut the steak one-handed on my plate.

So because of that I bought a couple more and now the whole fam has used them ever since when we're enjoying a nice cut of meat with the dinner. I did process a deer once with the SharpFinger. It does very well, but will require a touch-up at some point during processing of a Mule Deer. The chunky handle gives a lot of control.

As a blade smith I have the luxury of building what I want. Field dress and separate I’ll use this knife . Forged 1084 with desert ironwood.
A0ED1DD4-E442-4A2D-B05F-7123E6C4CEDB.jpeg
Butchering I’ll use a boning knife like this one. Just make sure you have a good stone or sharpener while in the field or kitchen. 440c SS with Bocote

37B5B77E-61B1-45F4-AD5B-7D4034CF9C5A.jpeg

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Amazing new 100% made in America knives at FORLOH - check them out!

Attachments

• 22-FORLOH-Culinary-Sale-Ad-580x400.jpg
    22-FORLOH-Culinary-Sale-Ad-580x400.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 32