Best all-around butchering knife

justmcg

FNG
I carry a 6" curved semi stiff Victorinox boning knife in the field as well as a havalon for caping. At home butchering the same 6" as well as an 8" breaker Victorinox, the 8" gives a bit more knife for cutting steaks and trimming. I use the same knives at my day job as a meat cutter so really whatever you are comfortable/used to is best IMO

Yeah the victorinox 6” curved is awesome. I got a 10x10 inch piece of kydex on Amazon and did a DOY sheath for mine. Works fantastic, I even put it in the dishwasher

Zappaman

WKR
My wife and I get a kick out of visiting the Good Will or other thrift stores WHEN we vacation (always looking for a pair of wine glasses (*since we always forget to bring them... and Air B&Bs NEVER have good ones). In the last 10 years floating around CO (mostly) I've found several nice German (Solinden) knives.. Hinkle, Hoffmann, and some others. Usually 25 cents... my block has several in it today.

Forschner (Victoinox) knives are what ALL the fish mongers on the Texas coast use for cleaning fish- good filet knives too. I've found a few over they years "digging" in the junk bins at old shops all over the Midwest. A couple in boxes of JUNK also have been found at auctions-- $1 or maybe $2 bid usually get the box-- I gift the rest to the church pantry here in town.

Cconrad94

FNG
I’m sure this has been discussed many times but I’m too lazy to search for other threads.
I was fortunate to have just butchered my first elk. In the process I used a drop point fixed blade, a short and a long fillet knife and a havalon. None of them covered all of the bases. The fillet knife was great for most of it but just a little too flimsy. is there a single best knife I’ve never heard of? Thanks
Ive got an Esse ashley game knife i like for Deer

Bmhunts

FNG
In the field I've been using the same $15 Morakniv for a few years. For butchering I use a Dexter filet knife, and a smaller victorinox knife.

Last edited:
Camillus Cuda Fillet Fixed Knife 4.25" 4116 Steel Full Blade Rubberized Handle

For boning and quartering these are fabulous. $15 on ebay. Good steel, secure handle. We took two hog hunting last month. Knocked apart 6 hogs and were very impressed.

I grew up in a butcher shop. All we used were Victorianox 6" curved for basically everything but some skinning. America's Test Kitchen did a testing on boning knives and this was the best value winner there as well.

This. I have semi flex and flexible. Easy to sharpen. Will last a lifetime for the average guy.

Another vote for victoronix For butchering. 6 inch curved or straight. I have 3-4 and will use 1-2 on a whitetail. For skinning and gutting I will tend to use a havalon.

Benchmade grizzly creek with gut hook for field dressing and quartering. Havalon with multiple blades for processing.

Forget to mention the knives.

Blue handle knife is 6” curved semi-stiff boning knife. Next is 6” straight wide boning knife. Last is a 8” curved breaking knife.

Other knives are a 6” lamb skinner. 8” beef skinner. 6” straight wide boning knife I use for sticking and bleeding.

One picture is of my two scabbards. One for cutting and one for the kill floor.

Steep Country for quick field dressing. Deboning or more detailed field butchering I use a 5" Victorinox Curved Boning Knife. Buddy made a snap sheath optimized for one handed operation so I could use it in the field easier. Belt clip lets me stick on a pack strap or belt for convenience. 6" might be better for really large animals, but I've never found it too short.
20201130_201132-1.jpg
20201130_201103.jpg

I blew the money on two Benchmade knives.

-Altitude for in the field
-Meatcrafter for home

Haven’t tried either yet and I know I could have spent less money. They both have great steel and look/feel like they should be perfect.

Before I’ve always used either a bushcraft type knife or a big giant K-Bar in the field. At home I used a cheap boning knife + a decent fillet knife. I’ve never tried a replaceable blade knife. I’m leery of them. Maybe someday I’ll give one a try and kick myself for not trying sooner.

Last edited:
I blew the money on two Benchmade knives.

-Altitude for in the field
-Meatcrafter for home

Haven’t tried either yet and I know I could have spent less money. They both have great steel and look/feel like they should be perfect.

Agree. Meatcrafter is an excellent butchering tool IMO.
20200811_134434.jpg20211109_122945.jpg

Oh man. That one is pretty. It’s a recent addition isn’t it? Mine has the orange rubber like handle. I would have bought that one if it were available.

No, it's the original. I think I paid $300 for it and endured a bit of ribbing on here. Now they sell on Ebay for $1000+. Not why I bought it, but nice.

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Victorinox boning knives and a BM Meatcrafter for butchering. Have a new MKC Speedgoat to go with a Havalon for field dressing.