Best all-around butchering knife

I’m sure this has been discussed many times but I’m too lazy to search for other threads.
I was fortunate to have just butchered my first elk. In the process I used a drop point fixed blade, a short and a long fillet knife and a havalon. None of them covered all of the bases. The fillet knife was great for most of it but just a little too flimsy. is there a single best knife I’ve never heard of? Thanks

Butchering or field dressing? Field dressing I’ve been using a outdoor edge swing blade mostly. Butchering I use a few different dexter russel knives depending on what I’m cutting. I added one of their curved boning knives to my set this year and really like it. They’re reasonably priced, seem to get sharp and hold an edge. Not fancy, but good quality commercial knives. Their fillet knives are also good if you fish. If you have the extra cash to spend I’ve heard the victornox knives are real nice. I probably use 3 or 4 different knives when butchering. I suppose you could just you one knife for everything, but they all have different jobs and you’ll get better results with at least a large butcher knife, a boning knife and for Me a paring knife for detail work if I’m being extra picky before I package. I might also use a medium chef’s knife for stuff that doesn’t need the big butcher knife.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I grew up in a butcher shop. All we used were Victorianox 6" curved for basically everything but some skinning. America's Test Kitchen did a testing on boning knives and this was the best value winner there as well.

for butchering at home that's exactly what I use as well (field breaking down- a Havalon and a BM Altitude)

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Another Victorinox user for at home butchering. I have a couple different style boning knives and a 10 inch breaking knife. I'll use a fillet knife occasionally as well.
In the field, I used a BM steep country this year and liked it a lot. Moving away from the Havalon, but still carried that as well.

slatty

WKR
Field dressing / quartering: havalon for hide, short and sharp drop point blade for breaking down

Home butchering: victorinox boning knife, curved breaking knife, large chefs knife (I use all 3)

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
For the field I’ve got a buck knife - open season skinner although I don’t think they make ‘em anymore. Fixed blade holds an edge really well. Big enough and solid but still pretty light.

Butchering - kershaw fillet knifes and Lem boning knifes. I could probably upgrade here but neither costs more than $20 and you can do a whole season with them. When they don’t hold an edge I just toss em and get new ones.

EastMT

WKR
Victorinox is my go to, with a custom sheath. I use the 4” rabbit knife for most hunts, 5” boning knife is nice as well. The sheep skinner is a nice all around knife if you want a little stouter blade.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I'm that guy that buys all the newest and popular toys for hunting. That said I bought a

Morakniv Knife at a army surplus store for like $15. I really like it for skinning and quartering. I use a basic fishing filet knife for butchering. All the expensive knives are just sitting gathering dust.

Mikido

WKR
Doesn’t exist. Dead deer hanging in my backyard, I have several knives laid out from skinning to the finish freezer cuts.

Trial153

WKR
I could break and process start to finish any animal that had four legs and a heartbeat with an 8" Victorinox breaking knife.

WCB

WKR
Victorinox or a short semi stiff fillet knife (6-8"). I use a short fillet knife for deboning/break down and a longer one for trimming/removing silver skin and the likes. I have used Victorinox and probably just need to by a couple.

In the field I have a a 4ish inch blade fixed blade I use for 99% and a havalon for caping out the face or any fine skinning for something that is going to be headed to the taxi.

If we're talking proper butchery and not necessarily taking apart an animal in the field, you almost can't go wrong with any commercial knife - Victorinox, F dick, Swibo, Victory, Dexter Russell, etc. They can all be used in the field and I've done it many times but some people find the slight up-swept point and extra length a bit harder to deal with.

For home butchering, any of them will do. I would say that the most important thing to think about is how to cut properly and how to steel properly so you maintain your edge before it gets too far gone.

Twtxga

FNG
Multiple knives for cleaning at home. But i have to say, switching to a havalon with different interchangeable blades is nice for field dressing

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
When I used to travel to hunt there would be a Mora knife in my backpack. It was a really good choice if limited to one blade.
When we do deer at our meat pole in our back yard I use a dedicated skinning knife then a boning knife. Brands are not important, just pick one you like and feels good in the hands.
Even though I own knives that cost me hundreds of dollars non do a better job than a plain Jane Mora in the field.