Been trying lower carbs....need input.

*zap*

WKR
So, I have been cutting carbs down but not to keto lows. Probably around 50g a day but I have not actually counted. I need suggestions for good carb foods and input on really any info/input you might have on this including ideas for diet in general. Goals are excess fat loss, general good energy level, increased strength and cardio fitness. So far things seem positive but looking for ideas and feedback on this, marco %'s and effects of lowering protein intake ......thanks in advance.

The foods I am currently eating are:
avocado, grass fed ground beef @10% fat, good eggs, wild salmon/tuna, raw almond butter, 100% natural peanut butter, low fat/low sugar/high protein yogurt, walnuts, blueberries, raw honey with the tuna and no sweetener ketchup with the ground beef, no sugar added chocolate powder with morning coffee and about a pot of coffee daily, average 2 protein drinks daily and plenty of H2O.

If you are feeling good and seeing results, don't change a thing.

Now, if you just want to know some better sources of carbs I would ditch the high octane sugars like honey and go for the slow burn of something like a sweet potato, most berries are pretty decent. If it were me, I would ditch the protein shakes/yogurt and eat more meat. But, again, see above.

Lawnboi

WKR
Eat some low carb veges.

Find a healthy outlet for sweets. Sugar free pudding with half and half, there’s even sugar free candies to keep yourself sane.

There are a lot of good recipes out there for low carb. My wife likes to eat low carb occasionally and we have a list of recipes we really enjoy.

Last edited:
Ditch the sugar, yougurt, fruit and honey add low carb veggies. When I do no carbs I shoot for 30 grams net a day...had to go to net method as I needed more fiber in my diet. I also do some itermmit fasting...dont eat after 6pm till lunch next day.

Justenfl

FNG
Cruciferous vegetables like, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, collard and mustard greens. You really cant go wrong with meat and veggies. And I too am an advocate for intermittent fasting. I typically dont consume anything except for black coffee and water until 1400 everyday, sometimes even later if I'm busy. Also if you are getting carbs from anything other than veggies make sure it's something like plain oatmeal or something like that. Hunger is typically spiked by glucose levels. So even though honey is natural it spikes your glucose and then comes down quick causing you feel hunger. That and drink more water, dehydration can cause your brain to misinterpret that for hunger.

So, I have been cutting carbs down but not to keto lows. Probably around 50g a day but I have not actually counted. I need suggestions for good carb foods and input on really any info/input you might have on this including ideas for diet in general. Goals are excess fat loss, general good energy level, increased strength and cardio fitness. So far things seem positive but looking for ideas and feedback on this, marco %'s and effects of lowering protein intake ......thanks in advance.

The foods I am currently eating are:
avocado, grass fed ground beef @10% fat, good eggs, wild salmon/tuna, raw almond butter, 100% natural peanut butter, low fat/low sugar/high protein yogurt, walnuts, blueberries, raw honey with the tuna and no sweetener ketchup with the ground beef, no sugar added chocolate powder with morning coffee and about a pot of coffee daily, average 2 protein drinks daily and plenty of H2O.

If you want to cut carbs, you should avoid them. Eating foods like blueberries, honey, or oatmeal is contradictory to cutting carbs. You’ll get plenty of carbs by eating things that are high in fat and protein, yet also have carb. Like almond butter and peanut butter. I try not to eat anything that is mostly carbs. I view eating fat as a positive thing to get my energy and calories without carbs. You have to consciously consume fat to ward off hunger and lethargy. I would go with a higher fat content in the ground beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winters Kamp

Lil-Rokslider
Been doing keto for two years and I’m very “fat adapted”. My wife is also a keto coach, so that helps also. To get into a deep state of ketosis you need to be strict (25g) carbs per day. I’ve been able to reach my ideal weight for my type of build and maintain it. I will cheat every now and then but it’s not candy or sweets, it’s usually a burger with buns or some potatoes with my eggs. Good luck! Once you’re fat adapted you’ll be a fat burning machine.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
When you counting these carbs are you counting all carbs or excluding some carbs that are fiber or sugar?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Exclude carbs that are fiber from your total carb count. Example... you might be around 40 total carbs, but your net will be 30 because 10 of it is fiber.

1. Like others have said, get off the sugars for the most part. A bit in your coffee is all you need (if you drink your coffee sweet).

2. Eat as much colorful veggies as you like. Green leaves of any kind, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, peppers, carrots, peas, squash, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber.

Number 2 will help with digestion, regularity, reduce sugar highs and lows, and just make you feel great. Veggies are superfoods that provide the micronutrients, vitamins, fiber, and slow digesting carbs that meat lacks.

Winters Kamp

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes I put Stevia in my coffee, it might cause congestion because it’s part of the ragweed family. Try different sweeteners but beware of artificial sweeteners like maltodextrin, they’ve been known to spike blood sugar. The whole point of keto is to maintain healthy blood sugar levels while maintaining a healthy weight.
Here is a before and after pic of me down 40lbs.

Attachments

• C049CB94-9FF6-430C-8A4C-693E2999A53C.jpeg
    C049CB94-9FF6-430C-8A4C-693E2999A53C.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 78

Block

WKR
Just be aware on really low carb diets ur body will hold less water.,, only time I ever cramped real bad on a hike/hunt was when I switched to a super low carb diet.

Eat the fruit and yogurt b4 workouts/activity only if possible

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
The yogurt I use has 35 g carbs (30 is sugar), 85 g protein and 0 grams fat.....per 2#. I run walnuts thru the mini food processor and dump those in the yogurt. Just looking to lower carbs and it has been very good so far....energy level is up, workout recoveries have been very good, strength keeps going up and I have reduced rest time between sets a bit with no bad effects. Appreciate everyone's input.

Werty

WKR
I did Atkins, a couple of years ago. I lost a bunch of weight. Go in there website and look at phases, it goes through everything your looking for.

The yogurt I use has 35 g carbs (30 is sugar), 85 g protein and 0 grams fat.....per 2#. I run walnuts thru the mini food processor and dump those in the yogurt. Just looking to lower carbs and it has been very good so far....energy level is up, workout recoveries have been very good, strength keeps going up and I have reduced rest time between sets a bit with no bad effects. Appreciate everyone's input.

If this is working for you great, but yogurt with 30 grams of sugar shouldn’t be included in a low carb diet. I consider anything with added sugar in the ingredients junk food. Sugar is way more negative than positive. There’s just no reason to add it to food, other than taste. We should be thinking about eating as fueling our body, not mouth pleasure.

Once you go lower carb intake you honestly won’t miss them. And in my experience I feel better. Haven’t done the keto thing yet but just trying to keep my carb intake to around 125per day has helped alot

WKR
I did bacon and eggs with black coffee every morning for a few months. Lots of salads with ranch dressing. Dinners were low carb veggies with some kind of venison or chicken or steak. Lost 23 pounds in 2 months. Felt great. May do it again this spring not so much to lose weight but thinking in normal daily life I am consuming too many carbs again. It takes real effort to avoid them.