Minimus Nutrition, minimized weight

Clarktar

WKR
I didnt realize the subtle play on words for this product until I sat down to author this post about it. Maximized nutrition, minimized weight? Perhaps...

I caught wind of a new product (Minimus Nutrition) being developed and tested so I pestered one of the entrepreneurs ( @Larry Bartlett ) for product samples. In the shortest description this is a type of nutrient dense powder that can be added to meals or drank or eaten as a standalone supplement. Why would you add MORE to backcountry meals that are already loaded with protein, fats, carbs etc? A few reasons that I consider intriguing:

• More food (protein, carbs, fats)
  • More nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc)
  • More time afield?
But, after following the path of the ounce counter and visiting my various gear spreadsheets, food spreadsheets etc. I really did not see many places to cut weight to accommodate MORE food (atleast none that I was willing to sacrifice). In 2021 I was gearing up for the typical “I am new to AK 10-day DIY sheep hunt”. I have always been well aware that the longer the hunt, the heavier the pack, and that a larger proportion of that weight is food as the duration of the hunt extends. As I looked at my food pile for that 2021 hunt, with the added Minimus I wasn’t too happy with the weight. But after talking with Larry B. I decided it was not irrational to cut all my dinners in HALF (reduced by 2.5oz) and add a 2oz. package of TaterDust to each half dinner. In this example the total weight loss of ½ a meal equals about 2.5oz of bulk food and replaced with 2oz of instantized nutrients that muscles begin using immediately.

Using Peak refuel Chili Mac meal as my example. Cutting that meal in half I end up with 2.6 ounces per meal. Adding 2 ounces to each bring each dinner to ~4.6 ounces. Original dinner weight 5.33 minus new dinner weight 4.59 comes to~ 0.75 ounces saved per dinner. Multiply that savings by my 9 dinners and the total weight savings equals 6.75 ounces(~1/3 a lb), and that’s only one component of the daily menu where savings potential exists.
20230509_101953.jpg
20230509_102100.jpg

Great we are saving weight, but what are we getting in return for the weight.

We can compare the nutritional label (calories, protein, total carbs) of the original meal to that of ½ meal + minimus (we will make the assumption that half the meal is roughly half the nutritional label of original meal). First, a bit about labels….

The package of Minimus TaterDust states it has an optimized Carbohydrate blend, Instantized Essential Amino Acids, all the Omega 3s and healthy medium chain triglycerides. Now, my nutritional knowledge starts and ends with beans are good, beans cause gastronomical stress which is manifested in a toxic posterior combustion. BUT, I do remember a little bit from organic chemistry… and that is Protein(s) is made up of amino acids (actually I think its several amino acids make a polypeptite chain and protein is made of one ore more polypeptide chain). Essential amino acids are those that are not produced by our body so we have to ingest them (usually in the form of plants and animals). But, the weight of the amino acids are not counted in the weight of the protein. More clarity is needed on the amino acid to protein ratio for a more solid comparison. Nonetheless….

Macro Comparison:

MealWeight(oz)CaloriesTotal Fat(g)Total Carb(g)Protein(g)
Peak-Chili Mac5.33720297440
TaterDust22004.5374
½ Peak + TaterDust4.5957019.57524*

A couple thoughts thus far:

• Weight reduction is welcome
  • The increased nutrition benefit depends on a persons perspective on nutrition
  • A google search of amio acid to protein ratio yields a variety of different values. Likely the 4 g of protein in the table above for the TaterDust does NOT account for the amount of protein you are getting in the form of amino acids.

Of the three Minimus offerings I have only used the TaterDust in the field while hunting (sheep and goat hunts in 2022). But I was able to get my grubby paws on some of the CocoaDust and MaterDust in 2023.

TASTE

TATERDUST:

I did not really track how much water I was adding to the peak/taterdust meals on my hunts. I just add water, stir, check consistency and add more if I find I need more. Overall the taterdust would make the meals a bit more bland. I usually have a packet of Cholula in my meals so that helped. I was never starving after the meal nor was I “full”. I was satisfied as much as one can be (sans those occasional thoughts about belly bustin’ burgers etc). I ended up losing 7 lbs on the sheep hunt. I never felt like I was underfed, low energy etc. I generally don’t eat a lot while hunting and it is more of a chore that I have to do rather than something I look forward to (besides the coffee and bullion!). The Tater Dust seems to just assimilate into whatever you are adding it to. I have tossed it into my blender at the house for post workout smoothies even. No taste red-flags or gastronomical irregularities for me.

COCOADUST:

The Cocoa recommends 5 oz of water. I would say for me, when I used 5 oz, the result was too thick and some was not dissolved. I upped it to 7oz and thought that was the minimum for my preference. Coffee is a mainstay in my life no matter the activity. When I hunt I have atleast two servings of coffee for every day (usually both consumed in the morning). I added one CocoaDust to my coffee and it tasted good. I wouldn’t say it was this flavor explosion or anything, but it tasted good to me. I have not penciled out how the added nutrition would change my meal approach, likely it would not as I do not bring much for breakfast anymore.

MATERDUST:

Anymore, bullion cubes are always in my food bag. I usually have enough for one per day. When time allows and I am not being lazy, I will heat up water mid-day and toss in a bullion cube. Other times I will drink it while I am waiting for my dinner to rehydrate. I tell myself all the salt in the bullion is good for me and I need it. I doubt that is true, but I feel damn good drinking it. The MaterDust recommends 5 oz of water. I found 5oz of water was just fine. All the substance dissolved and it was not overly thick. I also added a package to 7 oz of hot water and a bullion cup. Man, I really thought that was a great combo and will be bringing that materdust bullion combo into my rainy hunts from here on out! The materdust really tastes like a fancy, thin type tomato soup to me.

There is a good amount of science and research behind amino acid blends, proteins etc. I am hoping others on here can offer their knowledge on these topics (@Larry Bartlett , @V2Pnutrition ). Weight and macros aside when you look at the variety of vitamins, minerals and other elements on these products, it is like adding a multivitamin to your dinner. If I can get better nutritional quality (more good stuff) AND save weight that is appealing to me. Looking forward to some engaged discussion on these products and hopefully more of the “science”.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Fantastic write up, thank you!

If it’s Larry Bartlett’s product, you know it’s solid!

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I saw Larry mention it, went to their website and couldn't find any nutritional facts. I'm no computer guru, but it kept showing me the photo of the product when I hit "details". I'd like to know the content and breakdown. Following along-

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I saw Larry mention it, went to their website and couldn't find any nutritional facts. I'm no computer guru, but it kept showing me the photo of the product when I hit "details". I'd like to know the content and breakdown. Following along-
Here are some label photos
20230509_132309.jpg20230509_132254.jpg20230509_132237.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20230509_132309.jpg
    20230509_132309.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230509_132254.jpg
    20230509_132254.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230509_132254.jpg
    20230509_132254.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thanks for posting the nutrition facts and summary. I was planning on giving it a shot.

X2 on seeing this a week or so ago and then visiting the website and pulling my hair out because I couldn't find any nutrition info! I was going to make the recommendation last week to Larry to add that info to the website and got sidetracked.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Does it actually save weight though? Now, not all freeze dried meals are equal on this (and the Peak Chili Mac is one of the more calorie dense). But, based on your numbers above:

Peak Chili Mac is 135.1 Kacl/oz
Tater dust +1/2 chili mac is 124.2 Kcal/oz

Now, the Tater Dust has a density of 115 Kcal/oz, and from memory many freeze-dried meals are under that. It also probably saves on bulk.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
Does it actually save weight though? Now, not all freeze dried meals are equal on this (and the Peak Chili Mac is one of the more calorie dense). But, based on your numbers above:

Peak Chili Mac is 135.1 Kacl/oz
Tater dust +1/2 chili mac is 124.2 Kcal/oz

Now, the Tater Dust has a density of 115 Kcal/oz, and from memory many freeze-dried meals are under that. It also probably saves on bulk.
Larry will have to chime in and correct me or add more specifics, but I don't think the calories, carbs and protein amounts on the minimus label take into account what is provided by the instantized amino acid blend (I also do not have a firm grasp on what instantized means but I believe this gets as how the body will assimilate those aminos rapidly as opposed to breaking down meat into proteins then further into aminos/peptides..). I guess what I am trying to get at, it's likely more calorie dense than the labeling illustrates.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Larry will have to chime in and correct me or add more specifics, but I don't think the calories, carbs and protein amounts on the minimus label take into account what is provided by the instantized amino acid blend (I also do not have a firm grasp on what instantized means but I believe this gets as how the body will assimilate those aminos rapidly as opposed to breaking down meat into proteins then further into aminos/peptides..). I guess what I am trying to get at, it's likely more calorie dense than the labeling illustrates.

Looking at the label, I'm inclined to think the amino acids are included in the protein.

57 g total = 36 g carbs + 9 g protein + 6 g fat + 6 g unacounted for.

The first ingredient is potato flakes, which accounts for a large portion of the carbs. The second ingredient is the amino acids. This is followed by ingredients that would add fat. The 6 g unacounted for are things like sodium (0.5 g), garlic powder, vitamins, minerals, etc.

MattB

WKR
Proteins are comprised of amino acids. Suggesting they are not accounted for as protein is like saying weighing water doesn’t account for the weight of the hydrogen and oxygen molecules.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
1. Our product is formulated to match sustained physical activity with a nutrient blend that prevents lean muscle loss when food bulk is lacking. Our target customer is not looking for muscle hypertrophy but rather an instantized nutrient delivery formula that sustains physical output and prevents muscle loss while operating under calorie deficient demands. We can now reduce our food kit to drastic standards, eat the same stuff as before, just much less of it.

2. Not all proteins are equal: Intact protein vs amino acids are two different beasts. Whey, BCAA powders, meat and edible plant proteins are all intact, which means the body must metabolize (at time and energy cost) before the muscles utilize the nutrients. Instantized essential amino acids go right to work absorbed by the gut and into muscle synthesis.

I can weigh in on menu weight savings tips all day long as to how this product has helped me shed pack weight, but for formula defense I'll ask the PhD who developed the actual combination of ingredients for Minimus. I've asked Trey Coker to weigh in.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
1. Our product is formulated to match sustained physical activity with a nutrient blend that prevents lean muscle loss when food bulk is lacking. Our target customer is not looking for muscle hypertrophy but rather an instantized nutrient delivery formula that sustains physical output and prevents muscle loss while operating under calorie deficient demands. We can now reduce our food kit to drastic standards, eat the same stuff as before, just much less of it.

2. Not all proteins are equal: Intact protein vs amino acids are two different beasts. Whey, BCAA powders, meat and edible plant proteins are all intact, which means the body must metabolize (at time and energy cost) before the muscles utilize the nutrients. Instantized essential amino acids go right to work absorbed by the gut and into muscle synthesis.

I can weigh in on menu weight savings tips all day long as to how this product has helped me shed pack weight, but for formula defense I'll ask the PhD who developed the actual combination of ingredients for Minimus. I've asked Trey Coker to weigh in.
Looking forward to hearing from Trey.

Being able to consume the same amount of fats, carbs, and proteins in a package that weighs less, and in a form that is quickly absorbed sounds excellent!

Last edited:

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well you're not consuming the same amount of those nutrients and that's the point. I think Coker's input will be more explicit. But when he's asked a question...he gives a thorough response.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Well you're not consuming the same amount of those nutrients and that's the point. I think Coker's input will be more explicit. But when he's asked a question...he gives a thorough response.
I'm sure a powered formulation has near complete bioavailability. So, fewer calories one the label does not mean fewer calories the body can use (though it could).

An easy example is nuts. A creamy nut butter gives near total bioavailability, a handful of nuts does not (unless one masticates very thoroughly) as some amount will not be digested. Of the top of my head I cannot put numbers to the difference.

OP
Clarktar

Clarktar

WKR
I'm sure a powered formulation has near complete bioavailability. So, fewer calories one the label does not mean fewer calories the body can use (though it could).

An easy example is nuts. A creamy nut butter gives near total bioavailability, a handful of nuts does not (unless one masticates very thoroughly) as some amount will not be digested. Of the top of my head I cannot put numbers to the difference.
So judging by the toilet, corn gives me near zero bioavailability.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bioavailability of most foods we eat (especially field diets) aren't that great by percentages since our bowels move as fast as they do. A solid portion of our diet's nutrients are pooped out before digested and used by muscles, especially when our cells are dehydrated and/or food is not well chewed. Minimus is formulated to support continuous movement without being a calorie enhancer or electrolyte booster nor sourced like everyone else with intact proteins. We want to pack in drastically less food and still provide a stable nutrient platform from which to operate for up to a couple weeks if necessary.

RHCOKER

FNG
Allow me to dive into the details about the development of Minimus®. Mr. Larry Bartlett, Sheri Coker, PhD, and I began having discussions about how to reduce the weight/volume of our food kit on backcountry excursions about five years ago. We have all witnessed rapid improvements in gear efficiency when it comes to weapons, backpack, tents, sleeping gear, but backcountry nutrition really has not changed since I bought my first pair of used hiking boots in Jackson, WY in the early 1990s. Coupled with our own collective expertise, advice from special operators in the military and additional input from Brent Ruby, PhD (a former Ironman triathlete and Research Scientist), we utilized the doubly labeled water method to determine caloric expenditure (considered the gold standard in this regard) in backcountry hunters during remote expeditions in Alaska. This would be the first steppingstone for Minimus®.

Get a cup of coffee as this is going to get sciencsy. Published in the peer reviewed scientific journal Physiological Reports (see: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33369890/ and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30430767/), we demonstrated that these hunters utilized ~4200 calories/day, consumed ~1800 calories and ~1.0 grams of intact protein/kg of body weight. To our knowledge, these are the first and only peer-reviewed publications on this highly specific topic. Both manuscripts are attached to this post. Consistent with even more extreme events studied by our laboratory (see: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29628417/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30662406/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27669446/), the hunters did not lose any muscle and/or their indices of metabolic health improved. Realizing that most hunters are physically active for about 14 hours/day, the average level of caloric expenditure in these studies equates to 300 calories/hour which represents low to moderate intensity levels of exercise. Sure, you may use more during certain periods of the day, but this information represents the average.

You may ask “what does this have to do with Minimus®?” Great question! The first answer is that carbohydrate recommendations developed by the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) are based on the caloric expenditure of the exercise and the body weight of individual. For a 14-hour day at a low to moderate intensity of exercise at about 3 grams/hour of carbohydrate, this is ~17 grams/hr for an 80 kg individual (average male) and ~11 grams/hr for a 60 kg individual (average female). One serving of Tater Dust contains 37 grams of carbohydrate. One serving of Mater Dust or Cocoa Dust contains 11 grams of carbohydrate. All versions contain a proprietary blend of fructose and maltodextrin that has been demonstrated to optimize exercise performance (see: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26373645/).

The information from the backcountry hunting studies then informed the fatty acid contributions to the macronutrient profile of Minimus®. Let’s discuss why it is different. To augment fuel availability and minimize glycogen depletion especially during intermittent bouts of high intensity exercise, we have added a proprietary blend of medium chain triglycerides and oleic acid to Minimus® (see: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12218743/). These additions are further bolstered by docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid aka fish oil that enhance recovery and mitigate muscle soreness (see: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33266318/).

We have been inundated by information regarding the amount and types of dietary protein in our food. Allow me to provide some background information on this topic. Intact protein is comprised of essential and non-essential amino acids. Our body requires the dietary consumption of essential amino acids (EAAs) whereas nonessential amino acids (NEAAs) can be synthesized without the need for their dietary intake. The protein quality or the nutritional benefits of a protein vary significantly from one source to another. Protein quality is determined by the EAA profile, digestibility and bioavailability of amino acids (see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...xt=Determining the quality of a,FAO/WHO, 1990). In other words, proteins are not created equal. Vegetable proteins must be combined with other vegetable proteins to provide all the necessary EAAS, creating redundant consumption of NEAAS. The digestibility of protein derived from wheat gluten is three times less efficient than protein derived from animal sources. The digestibility of soy protein is similar to sources of meat protein, but the EAA profile of soy protein is inferior to whey protein. We included an instantized profile of EAAs that has been specifically designed to ensure muscle remodeling while optimizing digestibility and bioavailability beyond that of any intact protein. What does this mean? Our provision of instantized EAAs combined with Sacha Inchi (a plant protein with all EAAs with high digestibility/bioavailability) maintain skeletal muscle resilience under conditions of chronic physical activity and negative caloric balance. Minimus® is not designed for body building or powerlifting but rather focused on complimenting muscle remodeling for constant activity.

Minimus® also contains L-Citrulline to enhance blood flow and reduce muscle soreness, coenzyme Q10 to optimize metabolism during physical activity, and konjac glucomannan to improve satiety and reduce gastrointestinal stress. Of course, the icing on the cake is a complete profile of vitamins and minerals that eliminate the need for that pesky bottle of tablets/capsules in your kit.

I hope this information sheds some light on the nutritional value of Minimus®. The overarching take home points are that the development of this product was informed by the first peer-reviewed publications on physiological stress of backcountry hunting. Second, not all calories are created equal. The calorie to weight ratio is just a starting point, not an end point. Third, the carbohydrate, fat, protein aka amino acids contained in Minimus® have been further informed by decades of scientific investigation. Finally, the nutritive benefits of Minimus® are not found in any other food product.

Use it by itself and/or supercharge your kit!

Attachments

• PHY2-6-e13925.pdf
    549 KB · Views: 2
  • PHY2-9-e14682.pdf
    864.8 KB · Views: 1