Bear Recipes

Clarktar

WKR
I smoke it all, bone in. Low and slow, then shred it like pulled pork, vac seal and freeze.

So good. I also put a heavy dry rub all over it before smoking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Someone before mentioned pepper stout beef as a good one, and I concur. Just look up "pepper stout beef" and substitute bear for beef. It was a big hit at home, even for those typically not thrilled with bear.

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
I smoke it all, bone in. Low and slow, then shred it like pulled pork, vac seal and freeze.

How much fat trim do you leave on your meat for this? I fear I may have done too good of a job trimming, compared to a pork butt that usually has a good fat cap on it.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
This one has my vote

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a huge roast fan, but by far black bear makes a phenomenal roast. It's hard to eat a deer, elk, or beef roast after trying it. No special recipe for that, just salt, pepper, and garlic in a slow cooker. Some honey and brown sugar glaze can really put it over the top.

I don't really have any exotic recipes for black bear. It's probably the best tasting meat I've come across so I don't make too much of it into brats or jerky. Mostly roasts and ground.

About the only recipe I can think of that I've tried was the following meatball recipe. Honestly I think you could use any red meat in it and not make much of a difference. I'd rather use my bear ground for rice bowls, hash, and burgers.

Poser

WKR
Ground bear makes for a phenomenal bolognese. Make your own sauce or buy the premium stuff.

Guinness Stew.

Corned bear and hash

Shepard’s pie

Barbacoa style tacos with the shanks.

Old world style stew

Those are all of my bear staples.

yohavos

FNG

Do you brine before smoking or just dry rub then go low and slow?

I tried brining like a ham and think I left it in the brine too long. It was way too salty. I’m defrosting another roast now and really don’t want to mess this one up!

But man is bear tasty!

Clarktar

WKR
Do you brine before smoking or just dry rub then go low and slow?

I tried brining like a ham and think I left it in the brine too long. It was way too salty. I’m defrosting another roast now and really don’t want to mess this one up!

But man is bear tasty!
No brine for me. Only dry rub. Sometimes I get fancy and spray with apple cider vinegar every hour or so...

Seriously, I've just heard all of the negatives about eating bear meat. Never tried it.
I have a bear tag in my pocket for another hunt this fall and am glad to hear some of the bear recipes. Nice work on the thread @BabyT
I'll keep watching for feedback from @Clarktar
Good stuff.

Bear is great eating, provided you don’t try to cook it like a beef steak and the bear hasn’t been eating something rancid.

Last night I made tomales incorporating bear three different ways. I used rendered bear lard and stock made from bear bones to make the dough. For the filling, I slow cooked and shredded bear shanks and combined them with adobada sauce.

I thought it was one of the best wild game meals I’ve made, but I tend to geek out about this stuff. My wife, who does not mince words about food or eat wild game to be nice, said it was delicious.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Cube the meat, season with whatever seasoning you like. Add equal parts soy sauce, vinegar, and water. Let it simmer all day, adding water as needed, until meat is falling apart. Serve with coleslaw and some spicy mayo on a tortilla. Best tacos ever.

yohavos

FNG
How did they turn out?

Darn good. I used some beef broth, salt, pepper, minced garlic, onions, carrots and celery in both. Tossed in some rosemary and a few bay leaves and let them go.

I enjoyed them so much I’m doing a bear ham on the smoker today for my hunting partner and his family. I’m using the “smoked ham” recipe from meat eater.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Just killed my first one. Seems like it is gonna be good in any good recipe. I have slow cooked shank and done tacos and bbq. Whole family loved it. Backstrap and eggs (fried in bear fat) was great. I have a roast thawed and I will put it on the traeger in the next couple of days. I am sure it will be great. In my opinion, no need to season much - just salt and pepper.

yohavos

FNG
I ran my second roast after a brine and still find it too salty. It’s good, but is going to bet sliced to be used as a salted sandwich meat.

My next big piece is going on the smoker with limited seasoning, just like a few folks mentioned.

This is my second year cooking and eating bear and I’m really enjoying it. Chili with ground bear and bear tallow soap have been my most successful endeavors.

I ran my second roast after a brine and still find it too salty. It’s good, but is going to bet sliced to be used as a salted sandwich meat.
I had the same experience. My first attempt at a ham was a complete failure, second one tasted good but was way too salty. I’m sure I could get the brine ratio and timing right but it’s proving to be more work than it’s worth.