Sweet & sour bear

Conducted an experiment on the weekend and the results were favorable enough to share with you guys...turned out downright delicious actually.

Ingredients:

1x bear round roast, could substitute almost any cut of whole muscle meat, tenderloin would be amazing.

1/2 white onion

1/2 red bell pepper

1/2 green bell pepper

4x cloves garlic

2 tbsp himalayan pink salt

2 tbsp black pepper

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

2x eggs

3/4 cup rice vinegar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

2 cans pineapple chunks

1/2 liter or more sunflower oil

Chop up onion and peppers and dice garlic. I generally brine bear if possible beforehand with a 50/50 mix of pink salt and brown sugar with a few liters of water. After that while still semi frozen cube up the bear into bite size pieces. Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper together in a bowl and beat up your eggs in another bowl. Fill up a pan or wok with oil and heat it up to about 350 and set up your egg wash station.

Ir736FX.jpg

Start coating the chunks of meat in the flour mix, then dip them in the egg wash and back in the flour one more time and into the oil. Only have to cook them for a couple minutes until they start getting golden brown then when they're all fried transfer them into a dish and fire them in the oven at 325 for 20 - 30 minutes.

NKznvm6.jpg

Add some oil to a saucepan, sautee the garlic and brown the onions. Add the peppers and cook until soft, then add the pineapple and stir until warm. At this point add the vinegar, ketchup and sugar and bring the sauce to a boil, once it starts boiling add a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up a bit. Once you have the sauce to your liking add it to the dish of meat and let it bake for another 10 minutes or so. If you did things right you should have something that looks like this and tastes pretty damn similar to the sweet and sour pork you get at the best Chinese restaurant in your city!

hwEoHFl.jpg

Last edited:
damn! I will be referring back to this thread in May 😉 thanks for posting this!

I will probably roast as much as I can with my bear (really like corned bear) and plan on canning the scrap. we don't need any more ground meat right now, so I appreciate recipes like this.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Appreciate you sharing the recipe. Looks simple and delicious! See how it’d work with any meat too. Need a “go to” sweet and sour recipe. Thanks.

Pulv

FNG
Conducted an experiment on the weekend and the results were favorable enough to share with you guys...turned out downright delicious actually.

Ingredients:

1x bear round roast, could substitute almost any cut of whole muscle meat, tenderloin would be amazing.

1/2 white onion

1/2 red bell pepper

1/2 green bell pepper

4x cloves garlic

2 tbsp himalayan pink salt

2 tbsp black pepper

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

2x eggs

3/4 cup rice vinegar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

2 cans pineapple chunks

1/2 liter or more sunflower oil

Chop up onion and peppers and dice garlic. I generally brine bear if possible beforehand with a 50/50 mix of pink salt and brown sugar with a few liters of water. After that while still semi frozen cube up the bear into bite size pieces. Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper together in a bowl and beat up your eggs in another bowl. Fill up a pan or wok with oil and heat it up to about 350 and set up your egg wash station.

Ir736FX.jpg

Start coating the chunks of meat in the flour mix, then dip them in the egg wash and back in the flour one more time and into the oil. Only have to cook them for a couple minutes until they start getting golden brown then when they're all fried transfer them into a dish and fire them in the oven at 325 for 20 - 30 minutes.

NKznvm6.jpg

Add some oil to a saucepan, sautee the garlic and brown the onions. Add the peppers and cook until soft, then add the pineapple and stir until warm. At this point add the vinegar, ketchup and sugar and bring the sauce to a boil, once it starts boiling add a bit of cornstarch to thicken it up a bit. Once you have the sauce to your liking add it to the dish of meat and let it bake for another 10 minutes or so. If you did things right you should have something that looks like this and tastes pretty damn similar to the sweet and sour pork you get at the best Chinese restaurant in your city!

hwEoHFl.jpg
Gonna give this a try if I can track down a bear this spring!