Arizona Game and Fish - Pays Influencers - Newberg cancels contract after backlash

tdhanses

WKR
It's 20% of the total harvest for a particular unit. If that is reached on an OTC tag, they will recommend that unit close to OTC the following season.
In other words, if 200 deer are thought to have been killed in unit XX by all weapons. 40 of them can not be by OTC archery, or they will recommend that unit close next year.

This is where AZGD has a big problem IMO. Without mandatory harvest reporting, they do not know exactly how many deer have been killed. Just guessing. I digress tho, this thread is about the influx of Non-resident OTC hunters and the loss of opportunity for all. Sucks to know that of those 3000+ non-res hunters, they are concentrated in only a handful of units. Those units' Thresholds will certainly be met sooner than later due to many factors and will close to OTC.
Sounds like OTC needs to go away in general for resident and nonresident, make it an easy resident draw. I don’t think AZ is seeing the increases of NR hunters like other states and seems to me that’s just a scape goat when resident participation increases from 2019 to 2020 are much higher overall. What is the R vs NR draw allocation, if 10% then currently NR would be at that threshold, you would be able to scatter them out more then toss them in a few units, so maybe the change to draw is for the better in these units that are changing.

I agree with mandatory check-in.

tdhanses

WKR
That’s one thing I can agree with you here: unlimited OTC, during peak rut, in 90% of the state. Mind boggling.

Our mule deer herd is struggling.
Yeah sounds like they need to make these units draw for all and reduce the total number of hunters to help bring the herds back.

Reactions: AZ8

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah sounds like they need to make these units draw for all and reduce the total number of hunters to help bring the herds back.
There’s a harvest threshold idea floating around that would be more popular. Similar to bear, you’d have mandatory harvest reporting and the unit would close after the quota is hit.

Nobody wants the draw, as they want to build points for a quality hunt and use the otc for opportunity in their off years.

While it is true that NRs are intrinsically superior in most respects, including lethality (and this holds true outside of AZ... ), I gotta believe the concentration of animals around water during the drought played a major part to increase bow hunting kill rates over the past couple years.
in other words don’t just blame Randy?
Yes, this is absolutely true. There are many contributing factors.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's 20% of the total harvest for a particular unit. If that is reached on an OTC tag, they will recommend that unit close to OTC the following season.
In other words, if 200 deer are thought to have been killed in unit XX by all weapons. 40 of them can not be by OTC archery, or they will recommend that unit close next year.

This is where AZGD has a big problem IMO. Without mandatory harvest reporting, they do not know exactly how many deer have been killed. Just guessing. I digress tho, this thread is about the influx of Non-resident OTC hunters and the loss of opportunity for all. Sucks to know that of those 3000+ non-res hunters, they are concentrated in only a handful of units. Those units' Thresholds will certainly be met sooner than later due to many factors and will close to OTC.
How do know where these non residents are hunting? I'll wait...

Don't twist the narrative to fit your objective without hard numbers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

CJ19

WKR
What the other 2 instances that RN made content under these types of contracts? I would be curious what species, states, and time frame those occurred. Where those instances already disclosed somewhere and i missed it?

TheTone

WKR
What the other 2 instances that RN made content under these types of contracts? I would be curious what species, states, and time frame those occurred. Where those instances already disclosed somewhere and i missed it?
My understanding is SE Montana tourism group and Colorado

GusF16

FNG
Like I said in my post before, this is a small part of the problem. As for them advertising to NR, as of right now the way AZ structures their OTC, there is no need to advertise as the 20% of total harvest is being hit by bowhunters in lots of units, hence closing them off. What needs to happen and what will probably end up happening is OTC will be a thing of the past. I think it might be a little before that hits, but it will hit at the rate we are going. Closing 15 hunts in Dec, just puts more pressure on the hunt units that did not close.

I doubt since some units are closed, that less guys will be in the field. What will happen is, those guys will just move to the next unit that remains open. Then in a year or 2, that unit will hit the 20% harvest threshold and it too will close. Limiting NR OTC is the most logical next step. AZGD limits draw hunts to 10%, I see no reason not to limit OTC as well. I hunt in plenty of other states and feel the residents of those states should get priority.

GusF16

FNG
Agree. I see both sides as I hunt other states too and it frustrates me that I can't participate is things like "Ranching for Wildlife" in CO hunts. There's just no easy solution.

Still trying to figure out why it took everyone so long to figure this out. He was quite obviously pushing AZ for a long time. I can understand (if I was an AZ resident) not wanting my tax dollars going towards decreasing my hunting opportunity but why this is anything bad on Randy's part I can't figure out. It's too bad so many things are controlled by the mob these days.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Still trying to figure out why it took everyone so long to figure this out. He was quite obviously pushing AZ for a long time. I can understand (if I was an AZ resident) not wanting my tax dollars going towards decreasing my hunting opportunity but why this is anything bad on Randy's part I can't figure out. It's too bad so many things are controlled by the mob these days.

Where has anyone said anything bad on Randy? If anything, most will praise him for self cancelling his contract. Not sure how there is any other way to go about it. The petition was titled " AZGFD: Stop paying influencers." Randy has over 130k followers on instagram and over 200k subscribers on Youtube. He is a pretty big deal in the hunting world.

CJ19

WKR

I think Randy and his fandom have kind of cultivated this idea that they are a cut above everyone else when it comes hunting ethics and anything public land. When that is the line you are towing, you better get ready to have the cynics jump all over you the moment your toes even approach the line of a conversial matter. Anyone who has been around hunting forums for any amount of time has probably seen seen his community and even RN himself get involved in a scrum for something they perceive as crossing the line.

What? They think they are a cut above everyone else? Lmao. No dude. Randy is more old school. If anything it would be fans of mountain ops or someone like that. All the dudes that think they are cool cuz they shoot the total archery challenge on a mountain with the flat brimmed hats, drinking sugar energy drinks, and pubic beards that hunt out west. Randy ain't that guy and he has been around a lot longer than these newer guys. He doesn't just tote AZ, in fact he always talks about his home state of Montana.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
My goodness. Some of you guys need to step back. At the end of the day you are complaining about a recreational opportunity. Think about that!!! It is recreational. Done for enjoyment and hobby. My mind cannot comprehend the complaining about “killing the golden goose” and the like.

Quit being so damn self-serving.

Randy keep doing what you’re doing. I hope I’m as happy as you some day.