AR vs Bolt

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have both and would never take my AR hunting. My bolt guns are much easier to carry than my AR. Shooting is much more comfortable with the bolt gun than the AR for me. The ergos are just better with the bolt gun, of course.

xsn10s

WKR
22 arc will scratch that itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 22 ARC is interesting though, and I'll be watching it. It's a possibility, but I also have 22-250 components and dies in stock. I could always get a fast twist 22-250 barrel for my rem 700 SA and be done.

I have both and would never take my AR hunting. My bolt guns are much easier to carry than my AR. Shooting is much more comfortable with the bolt gun than the AR for me. The ergos are just better with the bolt gun, of course.
I am the exact opposite, in every sentence of your statement. Now I don’t think you‘re wrong, you are just different from me. I grew up with an AR, didn’t do much with a bolt gun in a standard stock until about a year ago.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I am the exact opposite, in every sentence of your statement. Now I don’t think you‘re wrong, you are just different from me. I grew up with an AR, didn’t do much with a bolt gun in a standard stock until about a year ago.
There’s nothing about an AR that would make me want to tote it over my bolt guns. Different strokes for different folks.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Why not get a 350 Legend upper for what you have? Plenty of ammo on shelves. Are you planning on shooting beyond 200 or so?

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Not really. We routinely mistreat our patrol guns and there's a pretty solid history of them running in adverse conditions. All they need is lube, reliable mags, and ammo.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
It's cheaper than a complete build, no ffl required, has alot more energy within its intended range, plenty of ammo options on shelves(at least where I am).

All fact, not perception. Now whether those are facts you care about is a matter of opinion.

I think what's being asked is what that additional energy you reference is doing as far as the wound tract goes, since that's presumably what you really mean. Unless you're talking mass on target for steel shoots, which aren't really done anymore.

I bought a bolt gun in 556 to “round out” the option that I have. I have quickly come to realize that I don’t care for standard stock configurations and immediately wanted to change the stock out to a chassis so it was closer to replicating my ARs……however, I don’t think I am willing to pay more for a chassis than I did for the rifle. I may just end up going back to ARs exclusively and shuck this whole bolt gun thing.

I've been tracking similarly in my own thought process. If I didn't already have an AR, the bolt gun would be more convincing. As I do, and at least one is already about as accurate as commonly recommended bolt guns, it's a lot harder a sell for me to seek one out to add to the safe. I still will one day, I'm sure; there's little that compares to a nice, tame bolt gun with a suppressor. However... AR's can come pretty close, especially if you're reversing the gas block or closing an adjustable gas block.

they both have their place.

as A mountain gun, I think a bolt gun has a theoretical weight advantage but it all depends on how each gun is built.

Setting aside the success others have had with 77 Grain pills on deer and bigger critters, I would prefer something with a bit more crack for a whitetail or larger animal.

For most big game, I would hope one round would do the trick but for something where I might want a fast follow up shot - like hogs - an AR would be my choice

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
I think what's being asked is what that additional energy you reference is doing as far as the wound tract goes, since that's presumably what you really mean. Unless you're talking mass on target for steel shoots, which aren't really done anymore.
40% More energy at impact(Fed Fusion vs Fed Fusion) + bigger entry hole + more expansion almost definitely means more damage.

However, the purpose of my question really wasn't about dead deer or deader deer, that's a silly discussion to get into. It was more of a why build another AR in 223 that will do 99.99% the exact same as 99.99% of 223s out there(likely including any 223/s the OP already owns). Something different could be interesting.

Instead it was assumed I meant 350 was better.

Last edited:
As much as I'm a bolt-gun man at heart, the AR-15 is the greatest gun design ever conceived. If you doubt that, consider the production numbers. If you still doubt that, consider how many applications where the AR shines. Now, is the AR the best hunting gun for _______ animals? Probably not. However, it's impossible to beat the AR's versatility for everything from home defense to 99% of hunting most people do.

Unlike any other rifle, the AR can be built at home into whatever the owner desires. For an ultralight mountain rifle, a 6mm ARC will rival any bolt-gun available. For a long distance prairie dog gun, a heavy AR in .17 Rem., .204 Ruger, or .223 is hard to equal. Squirrel hunting, go .22LR or .410. For hogs, a big-bore semiautomatic will make bacon. About the only application where an AR struggles is wingshooting, as the inline action requires iron sights, a red dot, or magnified optic to properly aim.

Is the AR politically incorrect? Yep. Does it have more protrusions for carry? Certainly. Is it colder than a wood stock? Undoubtedly. I've been told that what the AR is lacking is "soul." That could be. But if you're into utility, the pros of an AR far outweigh its cons. Anyone who doubts that isn't an objective gun guy.

Last edited:

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
40% More energy at impact(Fed Fusion vs Fed Fusion) + bigger entry hole + more expansion almost definitely means more damage.

However, the purpose of my question really wasn't about dead deer or deader deer, that's a silly discussion to get into. It was more of a why build another AR in 223 that will do 99.99% the exact same as 99.99% of 223s out there(likely including any 223/s the OP already owns). Something different could be interesting.

You’d be wrong… factually. The evidence is in the forum. Not opinions about it, but actual hard evidence. What your talking about and how bullets actually kill is fundamentally false. I too was an energy and diameter guy…. It’s just not true. And yes, I’ve tried them both, as well as heavy magnums and all the things in between.

WestTN2288

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I'm a bolt-gun man at heart, the AR-15 is the greatest gun design ever conceived. If you doubt that, consider the production numbers. If you still doubt that, consider how many applications where the AR shines. Now, is the AR the best hunting gun for _______ animals? Probably not. However, it's impossible to beat the AR's versatility for everything from home defense to 99% of hunting most people do.

Unlike any other rifle, the AR can be built at home into whatever the owner desires. For an ultralight mountain rifle, a 6mm ARC will rival any bolt-gun available. For a long distance prairie dog gun, a heavy AR in .17 Rem., .204 Ruger, or .223 Wild is hard to equal. Squirrel hunting, go .22LR or .410. For hogs, a big-bore semiautomatic will make bacon. About the only application where an AR struggles is wingshooting, as the inline action requires iron sights, a red dot, or magnified optic to properly aim.

Is the AR politically incorrect? Yep. Does it have more protrusions for carry? Certainly. Is it colder than a wood stock? Undoubtedly. I've been told that what the AR is lacking is "soul." That could be. But if you're into utility, the pros of an AR far outweigh its cons. Anyone who doubts that isn't an objective gun guy.
Ditto on the sheer utility of an AR

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved

Hm. I'm not the initial person to ask about the perceived benefits of the 350 Legend so I've no real dog in that race. And to be clear, I'm not against the 350 Legend at all and I think it's actually a very cool cartridge for its design purpose. Straight wall case restrictions are wonky but those mental gymnastics already happened years ago so they are what they are. Within the restriction of those places, the 350 Legend is a damn fine option. Understand that the energy difference is irrelevant though as that's not a wounding mechanic. This is a known thing. Velocity and bullet design are your work horses for developing a wound tract.

In any case, the argument for the ability to host different caliber uppers absolutely stands as an awesome feature of ARs. Want a handy little thing to roam the tight local woodlands with? Throw on your shorty upper. Want to go out west and hunt the plains and want a little more velocity buffer? Throw on your longer upper. Heading up to Ohio and its neighbors? Grab an upper chambered in a straight-wall cartridge. All the while retaining your comfy length of pull and familiar trigger and ergos. How awesome is that?

Floridave

FNG
Last year was the first time I’ve hunted with my AR. I loved it. This week so far I’ve spent 2 days hunting with my bolt gun( 1 deer and 1 hog taken) and 2 days carrying my AR.
2-3 miles walking a day with combination of ground blind, box stand and still hunting.
I really like having a choice and will continue to use both but I prefer the AR to the bolt. I find it so much handier and easier to carry.
A few years ago I sold most of my bigger caliber bolt guns and can’t see adding any more bolts. For 223, I’m using my AR.

f7b89dcf0263471a4b5457b3add266e9.jpg

7147b75aeadc4248a2ae464597b08d90.jpg

64dd5e96198d35cc3118ca2027c9c29d.jpg

I think the platform largely depends on what is more comfortable for the user. I’ve noticed I shoot more accurately from a bolt because it feels more rigid and sturdy.

Every once in a while I get the bug to do more stuff with ARs. Doesn't take long to remember why I like bolt guns. The recoil impulse, the noise (especially with a can), the way they trash brass, gas in the face, and general handling characteristics while hunting with an AR are not attractive.

Last edited: