AR vs Bolt

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
AR's get cold when its cold...

And while I like them, they will never replace a good fitting bolt gun for shooting stuff on the move.

I haven’t looked, but I’d imagine a polymer style upper exists somewhere. If you want to stay aluminum, you can always wrap or get a grip etc to better accommodate yourself.

I’d argue there is no better platform than a suppressed AR with an adjustable gas block for shooting anything on the move. 10-30 round mag, light recoil and muzzle jump with 77gr bullets, seems deadly enough.

Northpark

WKR
I use an AR a lot these days. I know the tmk is popular. I’ve been using a 63gr absolute hammer to really good effect. 3030fps out of a 16” barrel. Super handy rifle even with a suppressor on the end. Coyotes, hogs, deer, well most stuff actually are all on the menu with a .223 these days.

If you do an AR-15 frame, get it in 6.5 Grendel. Far superior as a hunting round in every single way besides ammo availability, but there is plenty out there.

At this point in my life I’ve spent more time killing deer with a A R than I have a 223 bolt gun. It was my preferred set up for culling trips for ranches that had me out. Still like breaking one out every once in a while but nowadays have mostly transition to bolt guns for hunting trips.

2531usmc

WKR
For east coast deer hunting with a climbing tree stand, an M-4 configured rifle w/folding stock is just about perfect

TheHammer

WKR
What scope mounts are yall liking?
On a gas gun, I have seekins precision 1piece 20moa and a f3r 20moa.
I’ve hunted white tails, hogs and yotes with a 223.
White tails and hogs with a 450bm
And my go to gas gun which has taken several North American animals is a dd5 ambush in 308, has a griffin ultralight 300 on it with an mpt skeletonized lite weight stock.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
I've got an Aero Precision 1pc ultralight mount waiting for my new scope to arrive to test out.

Boltgun

Lil-Rokslider
ARs are great. Most of my hunting is done with an AR, generally in the Grendel flavor. I’ve found 1.5 MOA is pretty easily doable building with decent components. Would be interesting to try Form’s practical hunting test with one.

Attachments

• F3AE2326-488F-4C66-93C2-4404FC411CAE.jpeg
    F3AE2326-488F-4C66-93C2-4404FC411CAE.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 5346AF40-D342-4EDD-B731-7C5A6042E214.jpeg
    5346AF40-D342-4EDD-B731-7C5A6042E214.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 024B1EFF-C839-4510-9869-8023E4288A14.jpeg
    024B1EFF-C839-4510-9869-8023E4288A14.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 25
My boy will hopefully take his first deer this year with my 6.5 Grendel. He shoots it well!

Personally I don't like the ergonomics of AR's and will hunt with a bolt gun when it's my tag. Just seems like the mag and the pistol grip are always catching on my jacket or vest or pack.

I had one for awhile and wish I still had it… extremely accurate with 77gr smk and used it for calling lions but got tired of packing it, just never was nice to carry, but I think a gun bearer would have solved that

The short time I used it I called in a lion, quartered to, and shot him 4 times before he could get out of sight, which was nice because it was all dog hair reprod and I wasn’t excited about tracking that thing in that stuff when you can’t see the ground… he didn’t make it far

My wife killed her first buck with it too. I miss it, but I just liked packing a bolt gun more… I think it wouldn’t matter today considering how I carry rifles

I really considered getting another AR rather than a tikka for a 223, but I decided to go bolt. My AR was exceptionally accurate, it was a sig m400 predator and I was really surprised how well it shot, accuracy was not a factor at all

Attachments

• IMG_6884.jpeg
    IMG_6884.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 47
I bought a bolt gun in 556 to “round out” the option that I have. I have quickly come to realize that I don’t care for standard stock configurations and immediately wanted to change the stock out to a chassis so it was closer to replicating my ARs……however, I don’t think I am willing to pay more for a chassis than I did for the rifle. I may just end up going back to ARs exclusively and shuck this whole bolt gun thing.

I bought a bolt gun in 556 to “round out” the option that I have. I have quickly come to realize that I don’t care for standard stock configurations and immediately wanted to change the stock out to a chassis so it was closer to replicating my ARs……however, I don’t think I am willing to pay more for a chassis than I did for the rifle. I may just end up going back to ARs exclusively and shuck this whole bolt gun thing.
Eh, don’t look at it like that… big picture man!😂

I’m for sure putting a new stock on mine. And probably all rifles going forward, but it’s not trying to turn them into AR’s, just making them easier to shoot. Most factory stocks that are aesthetically pleasing to the masses aren’t great to shoot… maybe that will shift eventually (doubt it)

AR’s do come with pretty good ergos for shooting though, and are fairly adjustable out of the gate which is nice. I would like to find an older Noveske in good shape, AR’s certainly have a place hunting when they are superior to a bolt rifle

xsn10s

WKR
The one area the bolt rifles excel over an AR is if your concentrating on the 75 gr ELDM. I've read about some modifications we can do to an AR to shoot the 75 EDLM. But many bolt rifles can run with the 75 gr ELDM seated out right from the factory.

amassi

WKR
The one area the bolt rifles excel over an AR is if your concentrating on the 75 gr ELDM. I've read about some modifications we can do to an AR to shoot the 75 EDLM. But many bolt rifles can run with the 75 gr ELDM seated out right from the factory.

22 arc will scratch that itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk