AR vs Bolt

Long Cut

WKR
With the traction the .223 thread has gotten, I’m curious if anyone has hunted with AR15’s more so now than in the past.

I’m looking to buy/build out another “whitetail” specific AR15 in .223 wylde in a 16” barrel but looking for suggestions. Seriously considering an MK12 route because they’re awesome

Choupique

WKR
I'm gearing mine up to be a deer rifle. Hopefully will be hunting with it next year.

There's really no negatives to it. The only drawback to the platform to me is the caliber, and that seems totally addressed.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Shooting the same bullets, its personal preference IMO, because at ranges acceptable for .223 ballistically, the precision gains of a bolt over an AR are marginal. And, the benefits of the AR will be useful when shots are quick and up close, with quick follow up shots possible.

The benefits of having a semiautomatic can be more obvious than drawbacks. I'm not sure that the drawbacks are really an issue for a shooter who practices, but here they are. It takes a more skill to shoot an AR with the same precision as a bolt rifle because of things like trigger locktime and multiple recoil impulses before the bullet leaves the AR barrel. At typical ranges I see for eastern hunts, the difference is really not material.

Also, the recoil impulses of an AR with the buffer moving adds some to recoil management to recover the target picture in the sight. But, being a semiautomatic it can be a difference without a distinction when you have to cycle the bolt which can be hard to maintain sight picture. The AR can weigh more than a bolt gun, so that can increase wobble in unsupported shooting positions.

If you are familiar with an AR and like to shoot it. Or, you want to build one and learn to shoot it, I say go for it.

PNWGATOR

WKR

JCS271

FNG
LOVE the pics!

However, I assure you the 7.62x39 isn’t the answer.

That said, please share your wisdom regarding killing wolves! You’ve killed a pile purposefully and everyone here will benefit from your wisdom.

PS I wouldn’t choose an M4 for a dedicated hunting rifle, but would for a big bear rifle.

When it comes to calibers I have just about one of each. That said, the 7.62x39 AR works perfectly for the very thick timber where I hunt wolves. Total reliability with the option for a near instantaneous second shot is a BIG plus when the max distance is 40yds. It simply crushes 70-100 lb wolves on the spot. It also will give decent service if I ever have to knock down a grizzly.

I am a big AR fan, I have been carrying one for two and half decades now and got my first bolt gun in 556 earlier this year. While the bolt gun shoots well, I hate the ergonomics and always prefer to go to my AR, again just a preference for me. Mostly just what I am familiar with.

The reality is that this is a moot point as I can’t use 223/556 west of I25 in colorado for big game, but it is just fine for the eastern side of the state for the same animals.

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shooting one because it’s the only 223 I own. Works great, holds 1.5 or a little better with 77 TMK handloads. Dropped a timney gold in and screwed on a harvester Evo. Haven’t looked back.
3f2a585abcbaed028a9ff8d5388cd197.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCS271

FNG
Does that dog decoy?

No, I just have her as a grizzly alert and if necessary, distraction system. She will also locate downed animals. On the trail and while calling she stays at my side. This past weekend we had wolves on three sides all howling at less than 50yds and she just sat quietly waiting for me to shoot.

IMG_20220821_104956869.jpg

Great dog with a ton of heart. First experience with Catahoulas but won't be my last.

IMG_20220227_101249074.jpg

Choupique

WKR
With the traction the .223 thread has gotten, I’m curious if anyone has hunted with AR15’s more so now than in the past.

I’m looking to buy/build out another “whitetail” specific AR15 in .223 wylde in a 16” barrel but looking for suggestions. Seriously considering an MK12 route because they’re awesome

Well, I didn't know what that was until today, and now I want one. This place is expensive.

I’ve heavily considered it, I did it in the past but never was successful.

The aluminum rails do get cold. Honestly not super sure of another negative. The stock is naturally much better aligned to the bore than most bolt guns which we like to complain about heavily here.

amassi

WKR
Mk 12/ DMR is never the wrong answer.
Mk 12 parts are ridiculously priced since the clone cosplay crowd started building them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
Some of the most prolific hunters I've know personally use ARs almost exclusively these days and done have done so for 20+ years. As long as the barrel shoots and the scope stays zeroed I'm not sure if there is any special knock against them compared to a bolt gun of like price. It'll be my first hunting platform as well.

Big game agreed..but yotes, pigs, and ARs go together like peas and carrots...I like the ergonomics of bolt gun better...but a hunt with multiple targets at one time they work well. The ones I have set up for hogs are chambered in 6.8 spc shooting 110 grain .277 cal bullets.
Yea makes sense on the pigs. For me for coyotes thou I still prefer the bolt gun as it’s quieter suppresses than ARs. ARs are just noisy and dirty

xsn10s

WKR
I partial to bolt rifles but my truck gun has been an AR. My experience with AR's is one is never enough. My builds have been 20" with focus more on hunting and 16" for general duty truck gun. A SPR length would be fine. AR's are like Harleys, you get one and then modify it to your liking lol.