Any advice for career burnout? Can’t think of a new interest to pursue?

Traveler

WKR
I have no idea what your lifestyle and situation actually is. But if it’s as bad as you say make a change, even if it’s just a step towards the start of something new, personal or professional

cnelk

WKR

Use the filters and find your new career

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe relocate to a non high cost of living area....less stress, better environment to live and raise kids...less jackwads....
It’s been discussed, the wife and I agreed that I must first have something to go after before asking her to give up a good gig.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any way you can get some new training? Lotsa stuff online. I spent $8900 with a tech school, I’m really shy of spending again unless it actually excites me. That’s my main issue, finding something that’s exciting.

You may be able to slightly shift focus into a new career. Use your talents in a diff capacity. I just need out of my industry, looking at how I might shift out of it.

Imo, burnout often comes from above. not sure what that means?

Had a job for 2 years and it sucked. I was supposed to be the manager but they ultimately put a field guy in the office manager spot over me but i was still responsible for the technical end of things and had to sign off on all the reports. He gave me 2 bad reviews 2 years running for being micromanaged and doing what he told me to do. Told him to start doing what i did. He said he didnt have the qualifications, just said I know and left after the magical 2 weeks. 10 years later Im a partner at a diff company.
Similar situation with me lately. Took a job that wanted my industry experience as they were new to it. Turns out they also hired a guy who can’t do the physical work so he’s the one spearheading things and I’m back to being grunt.
Sometimes a move is beneficial for your mental health and will open new doors.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Micro dosing mushrooms to improve your outlook/introspection/depression. Or there is Macro dosing to completely change your outlook. Could go either way with that one, hey this job ain't so bad, or an off grid yurt in the woods is my destiny. YMMV

The former is becoming more widely supported by research, the latter-set and setting.....

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar situation 4 years ago. I had a good paying job that was incredibly stable. However I didn’t enjoy it anymore and there weren’t many opportunities to progress in the industry. It wasn’t easy but I put in the work to find another career. Since then I’ve tripled my salary since and have fun at my job most days.

Instead of looking for specific careers/jobs, start by determining what aspects of your job (or other jobs you’ve had) that you like and dislike. Then take a thorough assessment of what skills you have. I used the Clifton Strengths Finder which helps assess your skills and recommends careers based on them. You can research these careers to find which one best fits you. Use google, your network, reach out to people in the field etc. Lastly there are some great career sites that recommend jobs based on your skills, capabilities and potential rather than your experience. This is incredibly helpful so you don’t have convince recruiters to hire you for “random job” you don’t have any direct experience in. If you PM me I’d be happy to share them with you.

Marble

WKR
From an outsiders perspective, and if you were my friend or bother, I would tell you to not make any decisions for a few months.

Secondarily, I would try to help you figure out what you need to be happy and what you are experiencing that makes you unhappy.

If you do not have a clear vision of what you want, where you are going and how to get there, pause and ask why. Sometimes we make it more complicated than it really is. People from the outside can often offer insight and advice that can stear you in the direction you need to go.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Fairly late in my crreer at around age 50 I ran into the same thing. I was working as a building maintenance superintendent for the city. Good job great perks. I just started to dread going to work. For me the solution was a demotion. I didn’t hate maintenance or construction… I hated supervising. Once I put the tool belt back on I was so much happier. YMMV

Rob5589

WKR
Micro dosing mushrooms to improve your outlook/introspection/depression. Or there is Macro dosing to completely change your outlook. Could go either way with that one, hey this job ain't so bad, or an off grid yurt in the woods is my destiny. YMMV

The former is becoming more widely supported by research, the latter-set and setting.....
So, move to Oregon is what you're saying :LOL:

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Just going thru this myself! I actually quit though, last day was 4 days ago, and since I told my boss I was doen I haven't felt this great huge load off my shoulders. I've been burnt out for probably 7-8 years. And.it has affected me a lot with my attitude and overall general mood..

Background, construction manager/engineer with 20 yrs or so in the industry, worked all over the world. I've given my life to the job passed on a lot of great relationships with friends and family and always put work before everything. I sacrificed a lot only to end up being treated like a POS by a manager whom couldn't manage his way out of a wet paperbag and constantly lied and made false promises to his employees. 4 of use quit in a month for basically the same reason. I should also add, I've cancelled many a vacation/trip and can't actually remember the last time I took a legit vacation where I just camped/begged on a beach somewhere decompressing

No clue what I am going to do now, I just got an offer to relocate to the Northwest Territories , great money, outdoors life and probably the best hunting a guy/gal could want in North America (Caribou, Bison, bear, deer, sheep, etc and all cheap tags for a resident). That being I'm not sure if I even want another job in the industry and have literally contemplated going to work for the local archery shop and assembling bow for minimum wage.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. Just remember your happiness/mental health is more importabt then being miserable. Understandably you have a family to worry about. I'd suggest sitting down with the wife and kids and having a frank discussion with them about your situation and how you feel. I'd also suggest chatting with a doc to make sure it's not something else like low testosterone or something. My buddy was in the verge of a mental breakdown got heckled at the doc they put him on some sups and he is a totally different person now.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Automotive
What is your job title? What are your daily tasks? Have you done any other jobs n the past? How long ago?

What is your current income? How much do you think you should be paid for the job you do?

Do you have a boss? How many bosses? How often do you interact with them? Do you get along with them?

Everyone has different needs so trying to gauge your situation.

On a side note there are many many job opportunities now. May push you out of your comfort zone but that’s what growth is about.

The biggest hindrance to a great job is a good job! So if you have a bad job it’s usually easier to quit and move on

Transition and become self-employed. Your time, your hours, your choice of customers or clients, your choice to work or take the day off. Unlimited opportunity in this country for people who actually want to work and not wait on the next government handout.

Maybe relocate to a non high cost of living area....less stress, better environment to live and raise kids...less jackwads....
The jackwads are still here. I live in a lower cost of living area. But with all the transplants from high cost of living areas has driven our housing market out of sight. My house has doubled in 6 years simply because they can sell out and move and pay cash for our homes. Before long, they’ll be bringing their ideologies with them and it won’t be so great.

I’m at the same place, I’ve literally dreaded coming to work the last few months to a year. I’m in the process of changing jobs, should have a final answer about the new job in the next few days.
Work would be similar but the company can make a big difference in how much it sucks.