Any advice for career burnout? Can’t think of a new interest to pursue?

BigNate

WKR
First , I didn't read a single reply. So it's possible it's already been said.
Jobs rarely are what you enjoy or are passionate about. I am one year into a new "career" although it is related to the industry I've been working in for 27 years. I understand burnout, and changing paths, done it several times at this point, including changing states a few times.

Here's the truth. Find something that gives your life meaning that isn't job related. Help at a youth program, soup kitchen, habitat restoration, habitat for humanity, etc.
Jobs are a means of affording life. They don't define you unless you let them. They don't determine who you are. Find something that is gratifying to do for others. Your circle of friends and influence will change, your perspective will change, and your satisfaction with life will change.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a similar place and took a two month leave of absence from my job, went to Alaska, and walked the docks until I got a gig on a salmon seiner. That LOA changed my life but allowed me to keep the "security" of my job.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
For me the solution was a demotion. I didn’t hate maintenance or construction… I hated supervising. Once I put the tool belt back on I was so much happier. YMMV
I understand this completely. I've always joked that as soon as our house is payed off and the kids schooling is funded, I'm taking a stress free job. Something where I don't mind saying "you deal with it, I'm going hunting"

Now is the time to find a new job. Everyone is looking for help.

If willing to move to WI, I'd hire you, your wife, and your kids (I'd even be prepared to accept fake IDs if they aren't old enough).

Last edited:
OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So are you a mechanic?
so much side money potential there. People can’t and won’t fix vehicles these days.
Friend of mine opened his own garage and is making money like gangster.
Another friend works for the water company for benefits and retirement.
Does oil changes, brakes, tune ups after work and on the week ends in his home garage.

Don’t go to nursing school 😁
No not a mechanic. I do autoglass. Damn near impossible to do it on the side. Definitely no plans for nursing school 😄

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think finding that place that has a lower cost of living is becoming more and more difficult. I made a slight career change back in 2019, went from field clinician working with Home Health patients to managing the office staff for that Home Health and Hospice agency, mainly took the job to get more experience and access to the Electronic Health Record that we used. I then became very proficient with that program and used that experience to segway completely away from the patient care side of healthcare and got into the computer side of healthcare. Do I sit behind a computer all day yes, but is it better than what I was doing and pay me more, yes. It also is a step into a career path that has a broad opportunity range. I won't have to stay in healthcare forever and likely won't. I guess moral of the story is this, if you are at all computer literate you would be surprised the jobs you could qualify for and likely get, most of the training is on the job.

Could you take your industry knowledge and get into sales? That experience and knowledge is valuable to the right company somewhere.
No computer skills. The only sales in my industry would be from the products we use which isn’t a bad idea and I know a couple people I can reach out to.

tony

WKR
What interests you as far as working ?
Can you swing it and go back to school?

bozeman

WKR
@fng4life to change careers you will need a new skillset.....what are you naturally drawn to? talent? keep in mind, there are vocational jobs and individual calling.........they may be one in the same or may be different, but until you know your individual calling (why you are here on earth), you will never be happy/content in life. Best of luck no matter what path you take!

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What interests you as far as working ?
Can you swing it and go back to school?
Like I said in the title, I’m too burned out to know. Tried school last year, willing to do it again for the right interest

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said in the title, I’m too burned out to know. Tried school last year, willing to do it again for the right interest
I’m not a healthcare professional. But after hearing this, you may be depressed. It can take away your interest and energy in things you enjoy. Getting some help with depression first may give you back the drive and motivation to change your career.

BigNate

WKR
I've never been depressed but I've been burned out.

Most people that think they're depressed have low D3, and eat terrible. It's amazing how much eating well can effectively change mood and energy levels.

Sleep deprivation can be another issue.

I completely agree with the above post that points to finding your why. Some are more driven than others.

gbflyer

WKR
I've never been depressed but I've been burned out.

Most people that think they're depressed have low D3, and eat terrible. It's amazing how much eating well can effectively change mood and energy levels.

Sleep deprivation can be another issue.

I completely agree with the above post that points to finding your why. Some are more driven than others.

That and drop 10-20lbs. Huge difference!

stonewall

WKR
what about becoming an insurance claims adjuster? I know nothing about the profession, other than I thought it interesting based on the times I’ve had adjusters out for things

The other thought is a bit out there… what about a YouTube Channel of your kids playing with toys or what have you. My kids would watch hours of that garbage if I’d let them. I absolutely don’t get it, but those channels sure seem to make some money

Been there. Not necessarily burned out on my career, but burned out working a certain area in my field. 5 years in emergency medicine and I was struggling. I took the first job that was offered to me outside of the ER and hated it. Bored out of my mind and not fulfilled. Ended up going back to the ER. Turns out I just needed a break to clear my head. My boss told me “next time, just request a leave of a absence for 3-4 weeks instead of quitting.” Sometimes a break and a little perspective is all you need.

Extrapale

WKR
Mobile auto detail guys are making a good living around here. Be your own boss. Set your own hours.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

DuckDogDr

WKR
I feel you. Although I am not married I have a serious relationship that I’m pretty invested in which is a deciding factor…
I have decided I am not renewing my contract in October . I’m riding my time… keeping my mouth shut at work and going to use my quarterly bonuses to pay off debt that admittedly I have accumulated unwisely.
In the mean time I am planning my exit strategy i have been doing working interviews with other companies on my occasional day off here and there..

I have a solid offer from one.. but it’s a decent pay cut and longer commute… but soo much less stressful

Another offer I have I 3x the pay what I make now with 1/3 the hours but i would have to fly to commute… as of right now they cover travel but no benefits at all.

But I am tired man… so tired. I have literally been working 90-100 hours a week. Because we have been short like every one else. My boss just did the whole company dirty and sold in the middle of the night to corporate which he swore he would never do… and we have one department the head of that department is just a thieving pompous Dick… caught him stealing from several of us twice … we’ve informed management … had meetings… shown proof…he lets the smoke blow over then starts again and I am done.. .. I probably wouldn’t get a good review.. because of our last meeting.. I told everyone to go F&$K themselves and walked out. but I have offers if Shtf

My advice..work like you’re not quitting.. bank you some reserves.. tighten the coffee or eat out budget .. quickest and easiest place to cut.

Talk with your family make yourselves a budget to stick to see what’s viable them and what can be done

Take some off days and instead of vacation then interview elsewhere

Set you a goal for a day you’re done and be done

It’s a buyers market where you want to get hired

Good luck

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot of great advice in this thread, also a lot of garbage.

If there is one thing that is clear to me it is this:
We sacrifice about half of our life(time/energy/focus) to our job. If that job fits our personality and gives our life purpose, then it enriches our life. If our job is a poor fit and feels “meaningless” to us, it can be a soul sucking endeavor that can lead to depression, addiction and broken families.

I spent about 15 years in a job similar to yours. I dreaded going to work each day. Looking back, I wish that I would have left sooner.

But something in the tone of your posts make me think that you might be suffering from depression. Ask yourself this: does your “burnout” extend to other areas of your life, or is it solely confined to your job? In other words, are you able to relax and have fun when doing the hobbies that you usually enjoy?

If the answer is no, then you really should get with a health professional and have them do a thorough exam. Low T or a thyroid issue might be the root cause.

dtrkyman

WKR
I can find a way to make any "job/career" suck, always want to be else ware, particularly when things are not going as planned!

That coming from a person who is a guide, fishing and hunting. My two favorite activities, there are times I wish I never pursued the profession and times it is just an absolute blast.

I think the people you are surrounded by make it or break it!