Am I crazy for preferring out of state-ers?

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve come to the conclusion that (here in Alaska, at least) I’d rather run in to a non-resident in the woods than a fellow resident. Bear with me. I grew up dreading seeing the out of state license plate or rent a camper driving down my dirt roads, but the fact of the matter is that recently my interactions with non-residents has been much more positive than the locals. They seem to cherish the Alaska experience and respect the land so much more than some (most even?) residents who take it all for granted. Locals tend to hunt like a bunch of loud, 4 wheeler happy assholes. Does anybody have a similar perspective or am I going crazy. Not to mention the $$ brought in by visitors.

krist003

Lil-Rokslider
That’s good to hear about the out of staters. I don’t think it’s too out of line. Most who travel to hunt (especially to Alaska) probably are pretty serious about hunting.

I like to hear this because when I hunt in another state with my California plates I feel like a red headed step child. It takes all of me not to rip my plates off. Not sure there are many people who like seeing California plates in their state, but in my mind, we as hunters are cut of the same cloth no matter where we are from. We need to stick together and show each other respect.
I would much rather hang out with a CA hunter than an Alaska lawyer. Sorry if I offended any lawyers, lol. Unless of course that Alaska lawyer also hunts, then it’s a toss up.

It's hit and miss for me. I am an OOS in KY every year and CO this year. In FL I rarely run into an OOS hunting public land (very Rarely). But in KY it definitely seems to depend on what state they are from. I'm not going to mention states, but there are two that I have had many very poor run-ins with. Talking to locals they also have a very bad view of these two states hunters, but personally I have had very good run-ins with KY locals on public. Even been given some tips that have panned out as good info.

IL Red

FNG
Well... I'm a red headed boy from Kentucky....never gave it much thought. I go west to hunt elk and never had any run ins......yet. all I hunt is Public....had a couple mis-ques in Georgia when I lived there, but all good.....public ground

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Judging someone based on their license plate is something I can’t understand.

There are good people out there from all over. I’d rather be hunting my home state surrounded by a bunch of respectful hunters from out of state, than one group of residents who think they own the place.

Really depends on your location....some areas are full of residents appreciative of what we have here, some are straight out of Deliverance...choose wisely....:p

Judging someone based on their license plate is something I can’t understand.

There are good people out there from all over. I’d rather be hunting my home state surrounded by a bunch of respectful hunters from out of state, than one group of residents who think they own the place.
I'm not saying every hunter in those two states are bad that's why i didn't mention the names of the states, what I'm saying is those are the states that locals dread and I have had issues with.

Midwest.Bushlore

Lil-Rokslider
I can believe it. I've never been to Alaska but growing up in SD I knew and saw a lot of 'slob hunters'. Literally driving through the field with three for four guys in the bed of the pickup truck blazing away!😡 Dad never associated with the likes of them and raised us not to ever do anything like that. But it's the same principal, the locals sometimes take what they have for granted.

wyosam

WKR
It’s not universal, but there is a similar trend here in western Wyoming. I think people who put in the time and money for a big trip tend to take it a little more serious than many of more visible locals. Generally I don’t see much of the more serious locals, since we all just disperse to our favorite out of the way places. Looking forward to my first Alaska experience as a non resident! Making a trip up to help a friend (anchorage local) with a moose hunt in a few weeks! Maybe 2020 I’ll get a tag myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also much rather run into OOS hunters. Lots of Texans where I hunt and I appreciate their friendly, polite, and engaging demeanor.

Now, two Coloradans running into each other in the mountains can be akin to two Mountain Lions overlapping each other in the same territory. Whichever one has sprayed more of their craft beer against trees and rocks might win, but it's likely the one that has the most expensive gear and/or lived in Colorado the longest at the time of the interaction that will walk away feeling superior.

I firmly believe the same things can be said about residents and nonresidents in every single state.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Really depends on your location....some areas are full of residents appreciative of what we have here, some are straight out of Deliverance...choose wisely....:p
Here's some tastefully posted private land in Delta Junction.

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_192059452_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170522_192059452_HDR.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 106

VernAK

WKR
Oh Oh!
Are we Deltoids tastefully posting our land?.......hmmmm!

Alaska definitely has it's share of slobs.....no doubt!......but we also have a rather recent mix of more recent Alaskans many of which have families that recently immigrated to America.

It also seems as though the Dirt Bike and Mud Bogger group have slopped over into the hunting areas.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alaska might be a bit different as for the majority of non resident hunters they consider it a once in a lifetime trip and try to cherish every moment they are there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the 15 people I turned in for illegally hunting with OHV’s over the last 6 years, 10 have been residents, 5 have been non-residents. They all screw up the hunting just the same and have the same proud sense of entitlement. Only 1 of them genuinely didn’t know the rules and apologized.

nrh6.7

WKR
I'd be curious to know how many hunters actually drive to AK to hunt. I would think that most would fly, hence a fewer number of license plates.