Idahoans do not like out-of-state hunters

The reason I left most social media groups. The drama and the hate. I do this site and ifish.
I’m a transplant to Sw Idaho and always confirm to them I’m not local…Not all but a lot are like me. Transplants…..I have been treated good by all but I feel I’m a pretty good person who loves the land/rivers and wants to keep it pristine. I constantly clean up garbage in the outdoors so I’m doing my part. A lot of people just don’t respect our public lands nation wide.

Anyways there Are Good people everywhere mixed with a few bad apples.

I do understand why people are upset though with out of staters. Same thing that happened in Sw Washington with all the growth, cost of living increases and the liberal ways. People where I’m from used to hate out of state plates while hunting/fishing especially California!!!! Back when elk hunting was good near Mount St Helens I ran into a lot of out of state people there and it was upsetting. I get it…
The great thing about this country is that we still have a choice where to hunt if you want to PAY. We have a choice where to live and work and play.

Derrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the only “social media” I’m a part of. While it is better than most there is some hate here too. Just read this thread. 😂😂😂

Seems like most of the people breaking the law in the area I work this weekend were an Idaho outfitter and Idaho residents. Most of the non residents left after a week without seeing anything.

USMCav8r

FNG
Nobody likes out-of-state hunters, no matter which state you go to! It's just the way things are, and in my experience, always have been.

Luckily us Washingtonians don’t have to worry much anymore about out of state hunters

Probably see more bear and cougar than out of state folks and now wolves……Washington NR resident tags are pretty expensive to.

Pretty soon grizzlies to if the state gets their way

Living in a place people come for vacation I can sort of understand why. I hunt in two states I dont live in.
I try my best to be a good guest. That said If I’m being a good boy and someone has a problem with me because I’m sporting a license tag on my pickup they can go pound sand.

I might add over 30 years of hunting out of state I have never had an issue. That I can recall anyway.
I have had some dang good times with local folks And consider some of them to be good friends.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
It’s as if we, as humans, were tribal in nature! It’s in our dna folks. Native tribes didnt welcome each other with open arms into their honey holes and these traits get passed on down whether we admit it or not. When all I see is Washington plates on our road ways all summer towing trailers I’m like wtf is there no national forests in WA? And I want to start chucking spears at tires…then they run generators 24/7 in the woods which is so relaxing to listen to in nature. But I know it’s ridiculous especially since I’m not native to ID. I think the main issue is getting away from the masses is harder and harder every year because of technology, and we all crave solitude from time to time.

Seems like most of the people breaking the law in the area I work this weekend were an Idaho outfitter and Idaho residents. Most of the non residents left after a week without seeing anything.

What kind of laws did you see broken?

What kind of laws did you see broken?
Gates being destroyed and locks being shot off and ripped off with a chain. Motorized vehicles on closed roads and non motorized trails. Went through 10 locks this weekend.

The responsible people are definitely gonna love it when PotlatchDeltic makes a lot of their land in Idaho lease to hunt ground.

Gates being destroyed and locks being shot off and ripped off with a chain. Motorized vehicles on closed roads and non motorized trails. Went through 10 locks this weekend.

The responsible people are definitely gonna love it when PotlatchDeltic makes a lot of their land in Idaho lease to hunt ground.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't already.

I heard they already have made it that way in some areas. ???
Unfortunately Gates being destroyed and ripped off is nothing new and has been happening for years.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I get upset that so many people let their friends do it and watch them do it then blame Apple maggots. It ain’t them most likely

The responsible people are definitely gonna love it when PotlatchDeltic makes a lot of their land in Idaho lease to hunt ground

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider

This stuff really pisses me off. I recently reached out to a timber company to ask about permission to hunt on a parcel of theirs in the chain lakes area. The reply was they only allow non-motorized access but "the locals won't let me keep the gate closed up there, you'll probably see guys zipping through on their 4 wheelers the whole time."

Sure enough I get there and the gate is all shot to hell. Great goin' guys, that paints the rest of us in a good light...

Few years back we were putting in gates for a couple of the timber companies. Was amazing how many people driving by would stop and bitch about how they had been hunting this area for years and the government just keeps shutting down the public land blahblahblah. Goofballs had no idea they were on timberland.

To be honest, until I got into building road. I had no idea how much "public land" was actually privately owned timberland. And I had some of the same opinions.

What will really confuse folks is when they lease out a section of ground. Now heres some chickenshit gate and posted signs in the middle of "public land". Which look the same as every other B.S. no trespassing sign. Mix in the fact that most folks have no idea that you can lease timberland. And you get folks that are doing some squirrely shit.

jjbloomer

FNG
I had quite the experience the last couple of days. To preface this I was an Idaho resident for several years. I hunted the same area for elk for two years, this being my third but with a catch. I had to move out of state for a job opportunity.

Let me tell you, people treat you completely differently if you have plates on your vehicle other than Idaho near hunting grounds. I did a lot of leg work learning this area prior to my first two years and when I elk hunted there I rarely saw other people. But when I did you could have a pleasant conversation with each other and I met a lot of really cool people.

I had to move out of state because I was presented with a job opportunity and it was very hard leaving Idaho as I greatly appreciated the area I was living. But I did not want to give up on hunting with my best friend and the godfather of my child. I knew that being an out-of-state hunter would pose its challenges but I am very respectful when it comes to hunting.

If I see a vehicle down a road that I want to hunt, I will try and stay clear of that area, even if I know there are MANY other points that I could hunt from out of respect. If I have to drive by a parked vehicle that someone may be hunting near I drive slowly so I don't spook anything if there on an elk. These are just a few of my many rules because I want everyone to enjoy there time out there.

I went on a short elk hunting trip that I and my buddy had been planning since the last trip. When driving if I see people I stop and say hi or just wave if they look busy. I had a couple of incidents where I pulled to the side to let the oncoming car go past me on a trail and several stopped and just stared at me. I would say hi and ask how there doing and most of them wouldn't even give me the time of day and if they did they would make a bizarre comment on out of state hunters which I would just laugh and leave.

Today I was leaving a trail and I had a guy rip and roaring on a 4-wheeler, most likely scaring all the elk away, flip me off.

I am surprised why people even waste their time hunting if they are so mad about out-of-staters coming in. I get it, it's packed and a lot of hunters in general suck at being respectful.

I would argue it's the people described above that are truly ruining this amazing activity. There the ones who leave the garbage everywhere and make the people who for years have let people hunt their lands stop. These are the people who do more talking about how people are ruining the sport while doing nothing themselves to help fund groups that protect hunting or at least protect their lands.

I doubt anyone on here would do this, but if you would. Maybe you should become part of the solution instead of contributing to another problem that this will create.

I really don't want to hunt Idaho anymore because I really don't want to come back to my vehicle's tires slashed, or deal with confrontations all of the time. I can handle my own but I go out there to get away from society's issues not to continue in them.

I will continue to hunt in Idaho because my best friend is there. But I don't see this problem getting any better.
NRs sure contribute enough in fees for the right to hunt there

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for your bad experience. I would suggest that it is the minority that are giving the negative experience. I know to a certain extent it happens in every state. I also know there are a lot of good people in Idaho. It's just the negative ones that stand out and get remembered the most.

I am not the most talkative person when I hunt instate as well as out of state. Perhaps you could tone down the social aspect and just wave as you go bye.

Be interesting to know how your future interactions turn out. Keep us posted. I am planning a hunt in Idaho shortly. Sounds like it might be interesting.

I was hunting Idaho about four years ago. I was parked in a pullout glassing my unit across the canyon. A herd of elk were about 200 yards below me, with a pretty decent six point bull in the midst.

A couple of residents came flying by in their side by side, bows in hand. I tried to flag them down to tell them about the elk. I got the booger eye and they kept going. Whatever.

There are jerks in every walk of life. Don’t be a jerk.

I went archery elk hunting in ID once. Met a local who put us on elk at a trailhead. Ran into 2 other hunters in a week and they were pleasant and complimented us for being the only other people they’d ever encountered back in this area in 10 years of hunting it. Not one negative experience for me in ID. Sounds like we got lucky. It is unfortunate that some people have to be such dic* heads.