Advice on a backcountry dog

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if the breed really matters. What does matter is the dogs ability to heel by voice or hand command, lie down and stay for extended periods while you make a final stalk, and obviously doesn't bark at or chase game. My buddy was told to lie down and stay at my backpack for 4 hrs while my partner and I put a stalk on and then quartered a moose :). She also led me back to camp on a dark and rainy night in the Brooks Range - like a horse taking you back to camp - amazing. It was 2:52 a.m. when we returned to camp that morning with a heavy pack of dall ram. She's 12 now and pretty much retired from sheep hunts as it's too hard on her old joints. Enjoy the company ;)

Alaska Range Ram, 2005.jpgBrooks Ram 2.jpg1st caribou_spring 2004 in ANWR.jpgView attachment 3092908 Moose.jpgView attachment 30929View attachment 30927

Attachments

• Tikka and Yote.jpg
    Tikka and Yote.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 112

charvey9

WKR
Awesome pictures. And dog.....what's your secret to the pictures.

I was in MT for a rifle hunt and one guy had a lab that went with him every where. I have a lab for bird hunting but the thought of bringing him on a big game hunt makes me cringe. Next dog I'd like to start em out right and get into that.

Thanks. No real secret to the pictures. Get a camera with a remote shutter and a dog that will sit still long enough to take a photo.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Jagdterrier
Fearless and can hunt just about anything. I take mine for doves, quail, grouse, squirrels, lion, bear, blood trailing, backpacking and more. Do not mix well with cats. A shock collar is a must if just hiking because they will find something to go hunt.

kickemall

WKR
Hard to beat a cowdog of any sort, especially Border Collies. Tough, smart, easy to handle, tell them to go get something and they will, tell them to leave it alone and they will. Best thing in the world to keep black bears out of camp.

ChrisS

WKR
My Britt mix is my first dog since I was kid. I got him as a rescue pup and spent a lot of time training him. He's very food motivated so that helps. Lol. Like others said, breed might matter little. But introducing them to a lot of different experiences is key. Jack has been up and down mountains and canoes, bigger boats, and all sorts of camps. He doesn't bark unless he needs to and generally stays close. He'll go all day and then some.
53f144ada2f7fe832dbf41b003e43720.jpg
f1b3b6f7708036fb668a9c3d7f0316cd.jpg
I'd like to get him into shed hunting next.
a1c6d1f90d2f9068e06618d28f4e1925.jpg

As I noted earlier my Britt can be a PIA on the trail but she's excellent around camp. Especially if you need to defend your ridge from a hoard of marmots.
de0a9883535341bddfe956bff1c04c47.jpg

Or not :).
ec630c779a9041fca23a72632c397ff0.jpg

I like the Chesapeake breed. Hard workers, tough, protective and loyal. They can be anywhere from 50 - 110 lbs. They have stamina to keep up on hikes. The cold does not affect them, even when soaking wet. They do not like the heat that much though. Mine is 8 yrs old and still wants to go after waterfowl. I have retired him from waterfowl since he has hip dysplasia, the cold water and muck makes it tough and you can tell he is in pain. He still wants to go though. He has cut his pad on ice and did not slow down at all, broke ice to get to birds. They can be stubborn, but I think that is just to test how loyal you are going to be back to them.

idig4au

WKR
My best friend was a Chesapeake Retriever. Extremely loyal and protective of family as well as a great gun dog. I never felt unprotected when he was by my side and certainly nobody was going to enter the house without him knowing. I will likely get another one when my lifestyle will allow.

Doghed

WKR
Like most here, love all dogs. Had many. I gravitate towards the Australian cattle dogs these days. I've had blues, reds, and purples. Heelers are as intelligent as they are athletic. Loyal and durable. Vigilante and high spirited. Will have at least one next to me till my last day. Happy Thanksgiving.

ironshafts

FNG
Classified Approved
Second Jagdt terrier and Airedale terrier. Had labs,chessies, heelers, nothing beats the above dogs pound per pound. Hates cats.