When to add a second dog?

*zap*

WKR
Raising and maintaining working dogs is a lot of work and can be challenging. At the moment I am happy with one just turning two years old..

Wellsdw

WKR
Any opinion on whether a Pudelpointer would be a good candidate to train for tracking wounded deer while ignoring the healthy ones?
I expect the 2nd part to be by far the hardest.
I track deer primarily with my dog from a working stand poin.I don’t bird hunt. Honestly there is a misconception when it comes to training tracking dogs (technically trailing). you can use blood, hide interdigital gland or what ever. Basically the dog learns to trail what you tell it too.. Ive laid mock tracks using kids, other dogs, even boots covered in “scent away” (to prove a point to a buddy). We as humans have no idea what the dog is actually trailing when it is tracking. Likely pheromones, dander, interdigital scent salvia, blood, intestinal enzymes etc….. or a combination of all. Which basically means the dog naturally tracks the one it starts the trail on. This is because no 2 deer smell alike to a dog, much like a humans. That said One issue I have run into is power line right of ways. These areas become trailing issues at least for my dog. I’d suggest reading a couple books on blood tracking training as well basic k9 tracking. It’s really more handler training than dog.
I’d also recommend “leashed tracking” over gps tracking. My .02

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
When I was debating about male or female for my last draht puppy, I got this advice…

Get a wiffle ball bat and use it VERY liberally anytime there is attitude. The guy that told me this owned two stud dogs and is a longtime VDD judge.

It’s been my experience males coexist fine in the field but really get to be a pain around camp, feeding time, the pickup, etc.

Manage them firmly and leave no question about who is alpha.
You know it's funny I never considered it to be anything more than play, slightly annoying play that didnt bother me until theyre loud. but logically it makes perfect sense that the little dog is perfecting his plan for the take over. I just figured he hadn't evolved his off switch yet.

When it gets out of hand pup goes to the kennel, I think ill police it a little differently moving forward. Thanks fellas.

You know it's funny I never considered it to be anything more than play, slightly annoying play that didnt bother me until theyre loud. but logically it makes perfect sense that the little dog is perfecting his plan for the take over. I just figured he hadn't evolved his off switch yet.

When it gets out of hand pup goes to the kennel, I think ill police it a little differently moving forward. Thanks fellas.
I’d give it a bit, keep putting him in his kennel for now. Your older dog will keep pup in his place for a while. After about 10-12 months of age I’d keep a pretty tight rein on things.

OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
4 month old pups already 40 lbs. Thinks he's a contender.

Attachments

• 20240406_174625.jpg
    20240406_174625.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 16
OP
TSAMP

TSAMP

WKR
My 1yr old is at 45lbs and will probably fill out to 50. My 7yr old is 42-45lbs and I love that size. It seems like more and more pudelpointers are in the plus sized range, with females over 60 and males in the 70s.
It is certainly a trend. The big one is nearly 7 and is very leggy and athletic. He hunts around 68 lbs usually. The pups parents are both over 65 lbs and more of a lab build. blockish rectangle of a frame. I wasn't specifically after a big dog and would fine If he turns out smaller but right now he's trending about 8 weeks ahead of my others weight schedule.

Edit: I just noticed you called my dog plus sized lol ouch

Last edited:

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I track deer primarily with my dog from a working stand poin.I don’t bird hunt. Honestly there is a misconception when it comes to training tracking dogs (technically trailing). you can use blood, hide interdigital gland or what ever. Basically the dog learns to trail what you tell it too.. Ive laid mock tracks using kids, other dogs, even boots covered in “scent away” (to prove a point to a buddy). We as humans have no idea what the dog is actually trailing when it is tracking. Likely pheromones, dander, interdigital scent salvia, blood, intestinal enzymes etc….. or a combination of all. Which basically means the dog naturally tracks the one it starts the trail on. This is because no 2 deer smell alike to a dog, much like a humans. That said One issue I have run into is power line right of ways. These areas become trailing issues at least for my dog. I’d suggest reading a couple books on blood tracking training as well basic k9 tracking. It’s really more handler training than dog.
I’d also recommend “leashed tracking” over gps tracking. My .02
I have experience with German versatile dogs used for both bird hunting and blood tracking with no major issues with running deer. It does add a degree of complication in that you can't just condition them to keep their attention off deer, period, but they figure it out with the right opportunities, rewards and corrections.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: I just noticed you called my dog plus sized lol ouch
Ha, plus sized as in over the 40-60lbs 'standard' as it is loosely acknowledged by the various PP groups. I've seen 2 males over 90lbs and solid muscle at that. The one, we babysat for a week when he was just over a year old, still growing, and in the mid 80s. Fella is over 30" tall at the shoulder. Super sweet dog, but damn you could put a saddle on him and ride up the mountain. He absolutely dwarfed my Ava.

IMG_8935.jpg