A few gel tests

Ucsdryder

WKR
A couple thoughts from last few tests,
-Pics did not do justice to the Damage made by the 225eldm, block was obliterated it busted 2' square of 3/4 plywood under it.
-Small sample size and not direct size comparison but the barnes lrx shows more damage than hammmers
I’m hoping my 300prc spits out 225s around that velocity. Going to be some good elk medicine!

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
That is a sweet spot on that one.
SMOKING!!!!!
I was very interested in this one and surprised by the complete pass through. But at the same time disappointed in how little permanent/pulverized cavity it made, with only a pencil lead size exit. This peaks my interest in how a lite for caliber high velocity barnes would compare.

sndmn11

WKR

I was very interested in this one and surprised by the complete pass through. But at the same time disappointed in how little permanent/pulverized cavity it made, with only a pencil lead size exit. This peaks my interest in how a lite for caliber high velocity barnes would compare.

What you see is what I experienced on a ~125yard broadside buck. Dead where he stood, buy very literally no blood on either side and his heart was untouched. Very small exit and normal sized entrance.

The LRX is a little concerning with how much it seemed to penetrate before making a permanent cavity....edit to add--> I think I am a dummy! @eoperator is the entrance side on the right for that pic?

I'm very glad I have several hundred of the berger 140hunt.

I did have a 130grttsx load for our 30-06 and 300wsm, but sold those bullets because I was getting low on that fast powder it needed. I'd bet that they would have done cool stuff.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
These are great, thanks for the effort.

Any chance you could test the 22cal 88g ELDM? I can mail you some if needed. Lmk.

chamois

FNG
That should not be a problem. At least in my case, my 1:8" shoots them fine. It is a 22-250, though, and its higher MV could be helping.
I'd love to see them tested, too

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
It looks to me like the 73 eldm tip bent over almost zero permanent cavity until the last 1/3 where it started to tumble. Maybe @Formidilosus will give his take on this one.
It is a 1:8 twist bartlein a 3 shot group with the 73eldm was very good. 88g eldm accuracy was poor at best.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It looks to me like the 73 eldm tip bent over almost zero permanent cavity until the last 1/3 where it started to tumble. Maybe @Formidilosus will give his take on this one.
It is a 1:8 twist bartlein a 3 shot group with the 73eldm was very good. 88g eldm accuracy was poor at best.

The results are odd. The 73gr ELD-M is as destructive as ever other tipped fragmenting bullet. You should be getting right at 12” of penetration with a .5” neck length, and a 4’ish inch TC.

Ucsdryder

WKR

I shot a deer with a cutting edge bullet, I too wasn’t impressed with the caliber sized exit. I think it shed all its petals and all that was left was the shank.

chamois

FNG
I think might help most to interpret what they are seeing. It is not an in-depth explanation. But is a brief overview to help.

These are the major parts of the wound channel we are measuring.
View attachment 524095

Pen= Total penetration depth

NL= neck length. Depth that bullet penetrates before upset begins.

TC= temporary stretch cavity maximum diameter @

Max TC depth= the depth of maximum temporary cavity

TC Length= the length from “x” inches to “y” inches of the temporary cavity.

There are a couple more things that take some education, primarily the difference between max TC and actual TC that causes permanent damage.

This is a picture that shows the differences in the expected variability of standard 168gr and 175ge SMK’s. It also shows the different parts of the TC (look at middle wound profile) -

View attachment 524100

These show the basic parts of a wound channel and with what bullets cause them and at what impact velocities:

View attachment 524151

View attachment 524152

View attachment 524153

View attachment 524154

Now with those parts color outline matched on @eoperator picture of the Berger 140gr EH-

View attachment 524141

Photo credit to Dr. Gary K Robert’s and Dr. Martin Fackler.
First, thanks to @eoperator for all the trouble he is taking. His tests may not be perfect but they are fun to watch, and then, they do illustrate how different bullet designs correlate to different behaviours on his expansion test media. By the way, maybe you could repeat for us the 73 gr ELD-M test for us? It seems obvious that something failed there...

Second, ask from @Formidilosus if it is not asking too much, if he could table the results showing bullet, impact speed, neck length, diameter of temporary cavity with permanent damage (green colour outline) and point of penetration where it is found, and total penetration. And, of course, whichever other parameter you find useful. I tried, but I do not have his understanding and interpretation of the pictures to do it.

A very enjoyable this thread is!

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I shot a deer with a cutting edge bullet, I too wasn’t impressed with the caliber sized exit. I think it shed all its petals and all that was left was the shank.
I agree, these tests have pretty much killed my interest in monos.