A few gel tests

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What’s interesting to me is, depth of penetration aside, the wound cavities from the different bullets appear and measure about the same.

This is where it takes some understanding about reading gel blocks. The gel shows the whole temporary cavity, not the true crush cavity that is permanent. The 77gr TMK, 103gr ELD-X, and 108gr ELD-M are similar with the 6mm’s producing a slightly larger wound channel. The 100gr TGK however produces a measurably and noticeably narrower wound channel than the other three.

Can you post a link to all the other tests where the "average" is coming from? Thanks

Blackhills has gel shots with the 77gr TMK on their website. I will look to see if any of the others are public.

This one from Black hills looks to have similar penetration but doesn’t mention velocity.

This video shows similar, but a few more inches on the lower similar velocity shot.

This one has 14.5” penetration.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This one from Black hills looks to have similar penetration but doesn’t mention velocity.

Yes, at 10ft and 2,650’ish MV.

This video shows similar, but a few more inches on the lower similar velocity shot.

This one has 14.5” penetration.

As I said, at his impact velocity he is a few inches shy of average penetration depth. That doesn’t mean it’s not useful- it great that he shot them; it just means that it can’t be taken on face value as the blocks weren’t calibrated. Using 10% organic gel and calibration is a huge deal to get consistent results.

You should be seeing around 14” of penetration in gel from the 77gr TMK below 2,500’ish FPS impact. The other tissue, is the average depth of penetration between the 108gr ELD-M and the 103gr ELD-M is within a couple inches- he got a minimum of 8 inches difference between those two.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I don't guarantee this is 100% correct but I gave this balistic gel calibration a hell of a try and that's good enough for the girls I go with. The best I could do for a .177 bb at 590fps +-15fps is my air rifle at 85yds.
mv 1959
bc of .177 bb = .015
bb = 5.28grains
should be at ~593fps at 85yrds
Ended up with 7.7cm penetration witch is at but still within FBI calibration standards.
20230228_090423.jpg20230228_090522.jpg

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
The permanent cavity (heavily pulverized) area with the monos is very minimal compared to others.

I found the 103eldx bullet after some snow melted20230228_112511.jpg20230228_103555.jpg

The permanent cavity (heavily pulverized) area with the monos is very minimal compared to others.

I found the 103eldx bullet after some snow meltedView attachment 523449View attachment 523450
Having trouble seeing the 110HH wound cavity. Can you elaborate on the measurements for that one compared to some of the others? Stuck with copper for a lot of my hunts and probably will be shooting the 110HH

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
Having trouble seeing the 110HH wound cavity. Can you elaborate on the measurements for that one compared to some of the others? Stuck with copper for a lot of my hunts and probably will be shooting the 110HH
The early "splash or stretch cavity on the hammers looks ok but when looking at the permanent "shredded" channel it is very minimal compared to lead core bullets. Almost like a pencil hole with a temporary stretch cavity around it. The 110 and 124hh were very similar only notable difference was the petals were slightly bigger on the 124s.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
Good picture and job.
My giant 88lb block of jello does not work the best for pics but every single bullet has either stopped inside or complete pass through. I have tried the typical long skinny blocks in the past but a large % exit out the top or side prematurely.

My thoughts on why penetration is shorter than you are accustomed to is that the large block provides more resistance than the typical long skinny blocks.

The early "splash or stretch cavity on the hammers looks ok but when looking at the permanent "shredded" channel it is very minimal compared to lead core bullets. Almost like a pencil hole with a temporary stretch cavity around it. The 110 and 124hh were very similar only notable difference was the petals were slightly bigger on the 124s.
Interesting. I’ll have to open up more of the deer I kill with them and see how it looks on the inside. I’ve had great results (for a mono) with the hammers..one buck at pretty low impact velocity blew a baseball sized chunk of liver out of the exit wound. I expected a little better gel results.

My giant 88lb block of jello does not work the best for pics but every single bullet has either stopped inside or complete pass through. I have tried the typical long skinny blocks in the past but a large % exit out the top or side prematurely.

My thoughts on why penetration is shorter than you are accustomed to is that the large block provides more resistance than the typical long skinny blocks.
I’ve always wondered about such things. A larger block would stretch less and provide more resistance to stretch. Likewise penetration would seem to me that it would be deeper in cases where there is less material to back up and support. (Like having full penetration on a 14” block, but only getting 12” penetration on a 20” block)

I used to shoot lots of wet phone books. Penetration was always deeper in lightly bound books compared to the ones I bound well with duct tape.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I’ve always wondered about such things. A larger block would stretch less and provide more resistance to stretch.
Exactly. Not only does it have more cohesive strength but it also has more mass to move to create a channel. Is more resistance more representative of game animals maybe maybe not.