A few gel tests

N2TRKYS

WKR
Thanks for taking the time to do this. 2400fps impact velocity or muzzle? If impact, what was the muzzle velocity?

Thanks

ljalberta

WKR
Thanks indeed. Love seeing these tests. You ever test low velocity performance of bullets?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
10% knox gel @40deg, not calibrated

I’m going to say that most likely the calibration is off. At those impact velocities you should be getting around 14-16” from the 77gr TMK, and 16” plus from the 108gr ELD-M. As well, the TC’s are a bit off from what they should be.

Just a note for those looking at it and thinking there isn’t enough penetration.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
Thanks for taking the time to do this. 2400fps impact velocity or muzzle? If impact, what was the muzzle velocity?

Thanks
These were approximate impact velocity.
Thanks indeed. Love seeing these tests. You ever test low velocity performance of bullets?
I don't believe in reduced loads for close range gel tests and long range gel tests are difficult to get good results.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I used 80lb water and 8lb fresh knox gelatin. Block was 45deg in garage and 37deg after returning. One single 8x14x20" block cut up after shooting

I get that, but you can do everything correct and when checked it doesn’t calibrate. I certainly appreciate the post- I just want to give a possible disclaimer to anyone looking at them. The depth of penetration is off enough from the average with those two bullets at that impact velocity that it warrants a note.

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
What is the muzzle velocity?
These velocities were pulled from previous labradar data on these rifles. I did not use actual velocity for the shots.
.223wylde is 20" bartlein 1:8 2825mv
6cm is 20" bartlein 1:8
100tgk 2845mv
103eldx 2840mv
108eldm 2800mv

Cool test. I was thinking about doing the same myself this summer.

What’s interesting to me is, depth of penetration aside, the wound cavities from the different bullets appear and measure about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk