7prc just slayed the 6.8 Western

Flyjunky

WKR
Waaay more recoil, way shorter barrel life, waaay less efficient
Ah, I thought you said performance.

Sorry, but yes, the 7prc is the best performing 7mm out the box*.

* when other things besides performance is taken into account

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
In any case the 7PRC is a long action and more powerful round than 6.8. It will also have significantly more recoil. Despite marketing claims, recoil will be on par or higher than 300 Win mag factory loads. A 180 at 2975 kicks same or hair more than one at 2960

That being said, it looks like a great round. However in a light weight hunting rifle, particularly one I would want a can on I would far prefer a 6.8W or 6.5 PRC unless I just really needed the added performance of a heavier round

Lou
Came here to say this. Most folks looking into newer calibers like this won't be comparing a 6.8 Western to 7 PRC. The 6.8 is a really great short action cartridge. 7 PRC looks pretty great, too, but it's not a substitute for 6.8 in most instances.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
This thread has a terrible title, almost like a you tube thumbnail. I guess in reading, I do not understand the need to either affirm it’s the greatest thing ever, or crap on it? Sure, you can build anything. Go ahead? Similar comments on build threads. Is there something wrong with a modern design, throated and twisted appropriately? It doesn’t invalidate 7 RM, 7 SAUM, etc. Apart from this thread title, not sure I’ve read that anywhere.

Ammo: it exists. I believe they’ve said they held the cartridge back in the face of those shortages, which got more than the PRCs. I just saw cases of CM, along with all of the PRCs on the shelf. I’ve already got 8 boxes, just waiting on premium brass release. None of it was hard to get, locally OR online.

7 PRC is only for people who want factory ammo and rifles? Really? News to me (and besides that neither good nor bad). Is it an easy button if you want a modern 7? Yes…..I don’t follow why that’s bad. Better tell the gunsmith’s building them to stop.

I keep seeing posts about how this thing is going to be way longer than spec - if 180’s fit just fine within the spec, I guess I don’t follow that. The 195 berger and similar are obviously going to be longer. Why is the new 3.4” mid length action UM is releasing, in their words, “perfect” for 7 PRC builds if there’s such an overall length problem?

Gila

WKR
“At SAAMI length, the 7mm PRC will fit inside the 3.4” magazine boxes of last century’s design in SAAMI form. With the larger bullets, it will exceed the 3.4” magazine, but will not need a Wyatt’s box.”

The 6.8 Western or the 284 Winchester does not have this problem!

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
“At SAAMI length, the 7mm PRC will fit inside the 3.4” magazine boxes of last century’s design in SAAMI form. With the larger bullets, it will exceed the 3.4” magazine, but will not need a Wyatt’s box.”

The 6.8 Western or the 284 Winchester does not have this problem!

If only somebody would make a lomg action with magnum bolt face capable of handling a cartridge longer than 3.4"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
Sooooo they reinvented a 7saum with a lot more powder and recoil. 😜 at least brass will be available!
If only somebody would make a lomg action with magnum bolt face capable of handling a cartridge longer than 3.4"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Most custom action REM 700s do. The REM 700 magnum length action will work. You can get bottom metal that will get you out there with AICS mags. But I don’t like using AICS when hunting. If I can’t use a P-Mag, I would just as soon hunt with a BDL type floor plate.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Most custom action REM 700s do. The REM 700 magnum length action will work. You can get bottom metal that will get you out there with AICS mags. But I don’t like using AICS when hunting. If I can’t use a P-Mag, I would just as soon hunt with a BDL type floor plate.
Hawkins Hunter DBM and flush mags will get you there easily...

WKR
Most of us can't shoot good enough for it to really matter if it's hotter than this or that.
I believe that’s one of the truer statements I’ve read. It’s like thinking that a 1/2 MOA rifle on the bench makes you a 1/2 MOA shooter in the field. Ballistic charts become a wish list for most people as soon as you stand up.

High power and service rifle competitors known that consistent 2 MOA shooting from field positions is good shooting.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I have two 7mm Rem mags, one of which has been my go-to for 20 years, I'm very found of the cartridge. That said, the 7mm PRC looks to be about perfect. In my opinion, better for big critters like elk at longer ranges and easier to shoot than the 300 Win Mag and better BC with comparable weight bullets. Thinking I may build one next year once I finish the 6.5CM build I have in the works.

I just had my 7mm STW rebarreled over the summer with a Brux 1:9 twist. It likes the 162 ELD-X.

7mm STW brass is getting harder to come by so maybe I sell it and get a 7 PRC lol

AkRyan

WKR
In just a few short days since it’s official release the Hornady 7prc has destroyed the 6.8 Western. Savage Arms, Springfield Armory, & Fierce have already announced they will be chambering the 7prc. I’m sure other ammo manufacturers will be doing the same.
Since it’s release, the marketing hype behind the 6.8 Western died rather quickly, other than Browning & Winchester, no other rifle manufacturers have offered the 6.8, nor has any other ammunition manufacturer offered support. It’s a shame really, I think the 6.8 Western is a good cartridge.
That's because it was made by browning and winchester...if Hornaday made the 6.8 it would have been a hit.

Unckebob

WKR
That's because it was made by browning and winchester...if Hornaday made the 6.8 it would have been a hit.
Agree. They have it surrounded by the 6.5 and 7mm PRC cartridges.

If there is enough demand for 270 bullets and cartridges, they will roll out the 7mm PRC and finish off the 6.8 Western

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering building a 6.8 western on a Remington model 7, lots to like about the cartridge. I handload for everything so it's not An issue for me. Mostly hunt deer( muley's and whitetail) with the very occasional elk, seems like the perfect choice for a new build. 7 prc looks good but more than I need with being the main species I'm after being deer. Actually have a donor long action and a 7mm barrel blank but think I'm going a different direction.