6.8 Western or 7 PRC?

EmperorMA

WKR
I’m looking to downsize and not spend so much time on my hunting, shooting and hand-loading. I still own several rifles but most are just sentimental pieces that don’t seem to get used much. They’re old and the cartridges they’re chambered for are old and no longer as inspiring as they once were. Even my beloved 6.5-284 has lost its luster in favor of a cheap-ass 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty much anything from 120-147gr into tiny little groups. Factory ammo included.

I'm very much looking to just carry two or three rifles for all my hunting, which is done in predominantly four Western states for Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Pronghorn and Elk. The aforementioned 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be one of the rifles because it is just so easy to shoot well and it is such a "no-brainer" with the whole plug and play thing with a bunch of different factory ammo. It is a nice feeling to not really worry about anything other than lots of practice because the rifle is so easy to shoot well.

The next rifle is one I am asking about here that will be a clear step up in power but with manageable recoil. It will have a "normal" barrel length for the cartridge and will be carried, so weight is at least somewhat of a concern, although ultra-lightweights are not on the table. I will end up getting a shorter barrel version of this rifle in the same caliber for eventual use with a suppressor so I am thinking it may be a couple years out for the third rifle unless the current administration manages to ban suppressors before I can get one. So, regular length barrel with a brake comes first.

I honestly believe that there will be absolutely no difference at all in performance on game between the 6.8 Western and the 7 PRC. The PRC's case may hold a few more grains of powder due to the length of the cartridge and the long action it will be used in, but the numbers are so close that no animal will ever know the difference. I just want a modern cartridge design that takes the worry, thought and time out of shooting well, and I have confidence that both these numbers will do that just fine.

I'd give a slight edge to the 6.8 Western for less recoil (easier to shoot well!) but also a slight edge to the 7 PRC for having a slightly better heavy bullet selection in factory ammo, given there are more good bullets available in 7mm than .277. Other than that, not much more to differentiate other than a few ounces of savings for the short action (6.8 Western).

I will not hand load for this rifle.

Any thoughts on which you might choose? Both will have 24" barrels with a good brake and will have excellent glass riding on top. Anything other than bias that you can point to for a preference? Both have modern designs and are accurate with tight tolerances, so I can't imagine more inherent accuracy in one over the other and they both will shoot 162-180gr bullets (180 in 7mm should equal 175 in .277 for BC) so not much advantage there, either.

What is your pick and why? Just looking for points of view I may not have considered, which helps with a decision. Thanks!

EDIT: Adding that is is strictly about the cartridges. I can find a rifle chambered in either one that suits me just fine.

Last edited:

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I agree they are both versatile modern big game cartridges, but I plan to go with the 7. My all around set up will eventually be two rifles: the Tikka 6.5cm I currently have for deer size game. Next, a powerful 7mm built for heavy bullets that will be my elk gun.

Like you mentioned, the 7mm category has better bullet selection.

If the 7prc gains enough support, that's what I'll get. (I like to have a variety of factory ammo to choose from). If not, I may get a 7rem mag or even a 280ai. But I'm hoping 7prc is here to stay

Unckebob

WKR
The 7mm PRC is not going to be commonly available for at least two years and requires a long action. In terms of performance, it is basically a beltless 7mm Rem Mag. I am building a 280AI because I reload and don't want to mess with reloading a belted case. I would get either of those cartridges before I wait 2-3 years to see if the 7PRC is a hit.

The 6.8Western is basically a short action 270. From what I can tell, it is not a big hit as nobody besides Winchester/Browning is chambering rifles for it or offering factory ammo for it. I would I avoid it.

Wrench

WKR
I'd buy enough components or ammo to last a couple of years of serious shooting....and pick a rifle that fits the above. Lot's of guns out there.....not alot of ammo.

WCB

WKR
If you reload get whatever one you think will have the most components. IMO 7prc will be supported better factory wise. But also in my opinion I would wait a couple years to see. You are not going to see wide spread support or tons of options in the current ammunition climate. No reason for ammo companies (besides those that developed the cartridge) to support new cartridges when they can sell all the standard stuff almost as fast as they can make it.

I don't think you will see another cartridge supported like 6.5 creed anytime soon.

AZxp

FNG
I'd stick with the 7 PRC.
300 PRC ammo has been around 2 years and still hard to find so I expect the same foe the 7. But I'd still take a 7 (280ai or 7 saum ideally) over a locked down 6.8 cartridge

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I've been going through the same mental gymnastics for the past 4 months deciding on a more powerful cartridge for an elk rifle while having a separate lighter recoiling rife for the wife and kids or as a deer gun. I also do not reload yet so ammo availability is a concern.

The 6.8 western ticks all the boxes except questionable long term adoption and current rifle selection unless you like Winchester/ Browning. Like others have said the 7mm PRC is likely to be widely adopted, however ammo is probably at least 2-3 years out from being easily available.

This led me to deciding on a 30-06 due to ammo availability at reasonable prices, moderate recoil, and good rifle selection. I think a 7mm Rem Mag could fit in this spot as well. With .500 G1 BC or better the 30-06 is over 2000fps at 500 yards. I've got a limit of ~500 yards on game and if you are looking to reach out much further on elk these might not be the ideal cartridges.

I really wanted a 280ai or 7SAUM for their ability to push high BC bullets with moderate recoil but ammo availability and cost persuaded me to the 30-06 so I will be more likely to practice more.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
I am not worried about long-term adoption of either cartridge. One bein g offered jointly by two companies as large and influential as Winchester and Browning almost guarantees support. Ditto for Hornady who has been on a roll lately.

Nobody has that kind of skin in the game for the 7 SAUM or .280 AI. And older cartridges just aren't set up for the big, long, heavy bullets.

I am a HUGE Winchester fanboy so there's that. Big Nosler fanboy, too. I'll probably lean toward a Browning rifle if I get the 6.8 Western just for the 1:7.5" twist, which is likely to be better with the purported 175gr ABLR for .277" I have been hearing about, which should come in close to a .660 BC. Nothing wrong with a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather shooting 162 monometals, 165 ABLR, 170 NBT and 175 TGK, either.

The worst we can get from Hornady will be the 175 ELD-X and 180 ELD-M. A CA Ridgeline flinging those would be quite all I'd need.

Just purchase about 250-500 rounds of whatever the rifle likes best when available and call it good.

Last edited:

Buzby

WKR
I think 7prc will be the favored out of the two you mentioned. But try and find ammo for the 6prc. It’s hard to come by and when you do, it’s overpriced. 7prc will be the same. For years.

6.8 will only have ammo from one company (winchester/browning), there won’t be a large selection.

Since you are only looking at factory ammo, I’d skip both and go 7mag. No, it’s not optimized for newer heavy-for-cal bullets. But it’s just as capable killing large game at distance, and you can get reasonably priced ammo much cheaper.

I would just get the 6.8 now and have fun with it. The nice thing about rifles is you can always sell it and move on to the next one. When the PRC is wildly available buy one and then compare and keep the one you like better.

If you are worried abuot factory ammo I would look at something different entirely.

WCB

WKR
I am not worried about long-term adoption of either cartridge. One bein g offered jointly by two companies as large and influential as Winchester and Browning almost guarantees support. Ditto for Hornady who has been on a roll lately.
The only reason it is supported by both companies is because Winchester makes Browning's ammo. So they can catch two fan bases at once and in turn Browning can sell a few more guns with a new caliber. It wasn't because the 6.8 was such a great idea. Doesn't mean it is not a good option but kind of false or default support.

Laramie

WKR
For competition shooting out to 1500 and big game hunting to 1000, there is a pretty good argument for the 6.5 PRC. Beyond that, I personally would choose the 6.8 Western... or the 300 PRC.

Reactions: PRC
My next rifle I have spun up will be a suppressed 18" 7prc shooting 162gr ELD-M bullets. Reason being is that I am a 7mm fan and the reason for that bullet is that it is a killing bullet and will still have decent velocity from the 18" barrel.

WKR
I’m looking to downsize and not spend so much time on my hunting, shooting and hand-loading. I still own several rifles but most are just sentimental pieces that don’t seem to get used much. They’re old and the cartridges they’re chambered for are old and no longer as inspiring as they once were. Even my beloved 6.5-284 has lost its luster in favor of a cheap-ass 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty much anything from 120-147gr into tiny little groups. Factory ammo included.

I'm very much looking to just carry two or three rifles for all my hunting, which is done in predominantly four Western states for Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Pronghorn and Elk. The aforementioned 6.5 Creedmoor is going to be one of the rifles because it is just so easy to shoot well and it is such a "no-brainer" with the whole plug and play thing with a bunch of different factory ammo. It is a nice feeling to not really worry about anything other than lots of practice because the rifle is so easy to shoot well.

The next rifle is one I am asking about here that will be a clear step up in power but with manageable recoil. It will have a "normal" barrel length for the cartridge and will be carried, so weight is at least somewhat of a concern, although ultra-lightweights are not on the table. I will end up getting a shorter barrel version of this rifle in the same caliber for eventual use with a suppressor so I am thinking it may be a couple years out for the third rifle unless the current administration manages to ban suppressors before I can get one. So, regular length barrel with a brake comes first.

I honestly believe that there will be absolutely no difference at all in performance on game between the 6.8 Western and the 7 PRC. The PRC's case may hold a few more grains of powder due to the length of the cartridge and the long action it will be used in, but the numbers are so close that no animal will ever know the difference. I just want a modern cartridge design that takes the worry, thought and time out of shooting well, and I have confidence that both these numbers will do that just fine.

I'd give a slight edge to the 6.8 Western for less recoil (easier to shoot well!) but also a slight edge to the 7 PRC for having a slightly better heavy bullet selection in factory ammo, given there are more good bullets available in 7mm than .277. Other than that, not much more to differentiate other than a few ounces of savings for the short action (6.8 Western).

I will not hand load for this rifle.

Any thoughts on which you might choose? Both will have 24" barrels with a good brake and will have excellent glass riding on top. Anything other than bias that you can point to for a preference? Both have modern designs and are accurate with tight tolerances, so I can't imagine more inherent accuracy in one over the other and they both will shoot 162-180gr bullets (180 in 7mm should equal 175 in .277 for BC) so not much advantage there, either.

What is your pick and why? Just looking for points of view I may not have considered, which helps with a decision. Thanks!

EDIT: Adding that is is strictly about the cartridges. I can find a rifle chambered in either one that suits me just fine.

I chose 6.5 prc but of the two you mentioned, I'm more concerned the 6.8 western will drift into obscurity so I'd choose 7 prc.

the 21st century 308 is the 6.5 Creedmoor, if factory ammo, set and forget, you can do no wrong to 600 yards, find ammo anywhere anytime, then that is #1 choice, beware the man with only one gun, you get intimate with a 6.5 cm and nothing is going to walk away from you, no other ammo will be more available for the next 100 years...it's not exciting but you will get teased so there's some excitement there I guess, the freezer and the walls will never be bare, and don't forget very good barrel life, just shoot the shat out of it whenever you feel like and anyone you hand the gun to will likely shoot it very well also, they don't bite very hard on the shoulder end

neither of those two options would make my list for your criteria but if had to choose I'd likely lean into the western, got a soft spot for the .270 win...I'd likely choose that over the western lol

Last edited:
OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
For competition shooting out to 1500 and big game hunting to 1000, there is a pretty good argument for the 6.5 PRC. Beyond that, I personally would choose the 6.8 Western... or the 300 PRC.
If I had gotten a 6.5 PRC first, I’d probably be all set. As it is now, it just doesn’t give me something a whole lot different than my 6.5 Creedmoor. A 140-147gr bullet is still all I’d be flinging. Now, a 175gr bullet is a nice difference.