7prc just slayed the 6.8 Western

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
In just a few short days since it’s official release the Hornady 7prc has destroyed the 6.8 Western. Savage Arms, Springfield Armory, & Fierce have already announced they will be chambering the 7prc. I’m sure other ammo manufacturers will be doing the same.
Since it’s release, the marketing hype behind the 6.8 Western died rather quickly, other than Browning & Winchester, no other rifle manufacturers have offered the 6.8, nor has any other ammunition manufacturer offered support. It’s a shame really, I think the 6.8 Western is a good cartridge.

In just a few short days since it’s official release the Hornady 7prc has destroyed the 6.8 Western. Savage Arms, Springfield Armory, & Fierce have already announced they will be chambering the 7prc. I’m sure other ammo manufacturers will be doing the same.
Since it’s release, the marketing hype behind the 6.8 Western died rather quickly, other than Browning & Winchester, no other rifle manufacturers have offered the 6.8, nor has any other ammunition manufacturer offered support. It’s a shame really, I think the 6.8 Western is a good cartridge.

Hornady is a marketing behemoth.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
How will either of those calibers do for elk size game with factory ammo in a 20” barrel to 700 yards?

I’m not sure what numbers to run.

gabenzeke

WKR
How will either of those calibers do for elk size game with factory ammo in a 20” barrel to 700 yards?
Using velocity and altitude run a ballistic calculator. You need about 2000 fps at impact for most bullets. I would think the eldx and eldm loads would be sufficient at that distance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mojave

WKR
I have a 7mm Blaser, which is very similar to the 7mm PRC, but not designed with modern bullets and long range as the goal.

I am excited about the 7mm PRC, I am going to build a 7mm PRC eventually. 7mm's are my favorite caliber for 90% of my hunting, so it is something that makes a lot of sense.

The fact that the barrel is set up to shoot VLD's at a reasonable speed is great.

manitou1

WKR
I just wish the manufacterers would concentrate on providing ammo/componants for existing cartridges instead of inventing new "boutique" cartridges every year... that really offer nothing over previous cartridges that have killed proficiently for many years.

There is no one to blame except we, the consumers as WE create the market and seem to have to purchase the newest in order to impress our buddies.

OXN939

WKR
I just wish the manufacterers would concentrate on providing ammo/componants for existing cartridges instead of inventing new "boutique" cartridges every year... that really offer nothing over previous cartridges that have killed proficiently for many years.

Unfortunately, selling guys what they need to reload for their '06s and 7mm-08s won't cover what it costs to support the gargantuan "outdoors industry" and everyone riding its coattails... so you get 6.8 Western, 7 PRC, Weatherby magnums, graphic T shirts, flavored powders with pictures of elk on the side and hunting specific workout plans that have definitely not already been around for decades.

The 180 eldm is marketed at 3000 fps from a 26" barrel I believe (might be 24"), anyway at 20" expect 2800-2850 fps.
That'll get you beyond 1000 yards with an impact velocity of 1800 fps, the eldms expand well down to 1400 fps from what I've seen.
I run an 18" suppressed 7-300 wsm improved and I'm at 2800 with 180 vlds.

There is no one to blame except we, the consumers as WE create the market and seem to have to purchase the newest in order to impress our buddies.
Totally..
Im not on the fanwagon but the 7 prc stomps the 6.5 version, that was an overhyped obnoxious era that hopefully comes to a close.

The 180 eldm is marketed at 3000 fps from a 26" barrel I believe (might be 24"), anyway at 20" expect 2800-2850 fps.
That'll get you beyond 1000 yards with an impact velocity of 1800 fps, the eldms expand well down to 1400 fps from what I've seen.
I run an 18" suppressed 7-300 wsm improved and I'm at 2800 with 180 vlds.

Totally..
Im not on the fanwagon but the 7 prc stomps the 6.5 version, that was an overhyped obnoxious era that hopefully comes to a close.
Stomp may be a bit of a stretch (even with world-reknown WKR ninja sniper skills) until you get past 900 yards....

1666976901550.png

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
The 6.8 western was never going anywhere because of brass. It will always be a niche cartridge because you will never get good brass for it. I don’t see any way Lapua or any of the other high end brass manufacturers are going to make brass for something with such a little following, with so few bullets. Who knows maybe I’ll eat my words but I see it going the way of the 7wsm.

If there is one thing Iv learned about shooting and reloading, it’s that I will no longer waste components or barrel life on junk brass. If I can’t get quality brass for something I ain’t building it.

I bet Lapua makes some 7prc brass here eventually.

There's more to stomping than velocity friend
Please enlighten us with every single item that comprises your interpretation of "stomping" and include those metrics.

I'll give you one item and associated metrics to get started since we are now friends. The 7mm PRC will have higher recoil than the 6.5 PRC. The recoil numbers are 19.1 for the 6.5 PRC and 26.4 for the 7mm PRC. So the 7mm PRC will "stomp" the shooters' shoulders ~27% more.

Christensen arms have begun offering rifles in 6.8 western and many custom rifle and barrel makers have been offering it for a while. Federal is also rumored to be releasing a heavy for caliber 27 version of their terminal ascent bullet which may lead to factory loadings from them. So it’s not been completely ignored by the rest of the industry. It’s really going to comedown to the 7 prc avoiding the problem the 6.8 had when it released. Tons of ammo on the shelf but no rifles anywhere chambered in it. If it can avoid that it will be a big success I imagine.