6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Killed a lot of hogs and deer with 80-100gr soft point factory ammo from 0-400yards with my 16” t3 243win, and a lot with an old win70 243win 22” . A few with the Hornady 87gr hpbt handloads. Not sure those bullets will kill any better than a partition though. I’ve have had good luck with the Sierra game changers in other calibers but the 90gr version looks appealing for 1-10 twist but not sure of their availability.

Big_wals

WKR
I have a Tikka .243 with the 1-10 twist. What is everyone’s favorite bullet for deer and elk? I have been running nosler partitions, but things seem to die slow.
The nosler 95 ballistic tip seems to be the most recommended. Ive only personally seen two deer shot with them, but they worked great.

Edge

FNG
So here's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm torn between a 6 cm or a 243 ai. With a 243 ai, I can run a shorter barrel and still get my goal of 3000 fps or something close. The downside is it seems I may have to try a few powders and then there's the fire forming. With the 6 cm, it seems like 4350 is THE powder. Is it worth it to +p a 6 cm to get a bit more velocity? How short can I go and still get close to 3k shooting either the 108 eldm or 112 match burners? I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for some time, and need to just decide. Also need to sell some rifles and parts to fund this project....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Another option is RL16, it will give you velocities above H4350. Have worked up some good loads in both 6 & 6.5 Creed. Next test for RL16 is in a 6XC with 115 DTACs.

Downside if you don’t already have some RL16 on hand is cost, it has gotten outrageously expensive as most of the RL powders.

Another option is 6.5 Staball, I did some velocity tests and it did well, but haven’t gotten down to zeroing in on a load, too many other projects.

1000003960.jpg
6.5prc. Standard 143d hornady eldx. Coming out a weatherby vanguard platform with a radial brake.

Shot her at 250 yards. Hit more cows at a distance of 300 to 400 yards. Killed many goats and deer ranging 200 to 550.

For what it's worth always had great expansion and damage in the boiler room.

All elk went down within 20 yards.

letrbuck

WKR
So here's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm torn between a 6 cm or a 243 ai. With a 243 ai, I can run a shorter barrel and still get my goal of 3000 fps or something close. The downside is it seems I may have to try a few powders and then there's the fire forming. With the 6 cm, it seems like 4350 is THE powder. Is it worth it to +p a 6 cm to get a bit more velocity? How short can I go and still get close to 3k shooting either the 108 eldm or 112 match burners? I've been stuck in analysis paralysis for some time, and need to just decide. Also need to sell some rifles and parts to fund this project....

Literally having the same internal debate. Have wanted a 243 ackley for damned near ever but pretty sure I'll be buying a 6 creed barrel with norma 107 ammo being very available at $23/box right now

View attachment 748681
6.5prc. Standard 143d hornady eldx. Coming out a weatherby vanguard platform with a radial brake.

Shot her at 250 yards. Hit more cows at a distance of 300 to 400 yards. Killed many goats and deer ranging 200 to 550.

For what it's worth always had great expansion and damage in the boiler room.

All elk went down within 20 yards.

You’re in the wrong thread by 0.5mm 😂😂

Nice job though.

Literally having the same internal debate. Have wanted a 243 ackley for damned near ever but pretty sure I'll be buying a 6 creed barrel with norma 107 ammo being very available at $23/box right now

I'd look for sig 107 SMK, Federal 107 SMK that have been available for similar prices recently first. Even federal GMM berger 105s were on sale around $24/box at midway recently.

Reason being is the norma match stuff ive had has very thick necks on the brass, to where there is less than 2 thousandths clearance on a saami min chamber. There have been some other QC issues too.

The Guide

WKR
I'd look for sig 107 SMK, Federal 107 SMK that have been available for similar prices recently first. Even federal GMM berger 105s were on sale around $24/box at midway recently.

Reason being is the norma match stuff ive had has very thick necks on the brass, to where there is less than 2 thousandths clearance on a saami min chamber. There have been some other QC issues too.
Have you used the Federal GMM 105's much? On game? That's a dang good price! Might have to get some to try.

Jay

SloppyJ

WKR
Went down this same path. Torn between a Tikka 243 and sending off to AI the chamber and chop the barrel or just building a 6creed. I built an 18" 6 creed and have no regrets. TONs of components. At this point I have a match barrel and a hunting barrel and 400pcs of brass. 2850fps is roughly the max of my 18" barrel with 108s. Currently experimenting with N555 to see if there's any benefit and it's stacking 95 Nosler BTs on top of each other around 3070fps. Again, with the 18" barrel.

With H4350 there's a tiny amount of room in there but I think you're rolling the dice to +p that chamber. With N555, I'm vibrating it down before I seat a bullet. Can't wait to test this on some deer this coming year. Hardest decision is going to be what bullet to try first.

gabenzeke

WKR
Went down this same path. Torn between a Tikka 243 and sending off to AI the chamber and chop the barrel or just building a 6creed. I built an 18" 6 creed and have no regrets. TONs of components. At this point I have a match barrel and a hunting barrel and 400pcs of brass. 2850fps is roughly the max of my 18" barrel with 108s. Currently experimenting with N555 to see if there's any benefit and it's stacking 95 Nosler BTs on top of each other around 3070fps. Again, with the 18" barrel.

With H4350 there's a tiny amount of room in there but I think you're rolling the dice to +p that chamber. With N555, I'm vibrating it down before I seat a bullet. Can't wait to test this on some deer this coming year. Hardest decision is going to be what bullet to try first.
This is helpful. I think at this point if Peterson started making 243 brass with srp pockets again I'd be settled on the 243 ai.

SloppyJ

WKR
This is helpful. I think at this point if Peterson started making 243 brass with srp pockets again I'd be settled on the 243 ai.

I forgot to mention that but the availability of CCI 450s had a lot to do with that decision as well. I have 2k or so of them for my .223 and only 1200 LRPs. The SRP are consistently on the local shelves as well. I'm running that exact stuff, Peterson SRP. If you get the same, start low with your loads and work up. I found pressure quite a bit before book max.

gabenzeke

WKR
I forgot to mention that but the availability of CCI 450s had a lot to do with that decision as well. I have 2k or so of them for my .223 and only 1200 LRPs. The SRP are consistently on the local shelves as well. I'm running that exact stuff, Peterson SRP. If you get the same, start low with your loads and work up. I found pressure quite a bit before book max.
Interesting. Peterson indicates that the srp pockets are specifically for running higher pressures. I'm new to hand loading, so I don't understand enough of the why. I'll have to look into it.