Build a 6cm, Buy 243 1/8 twist or go with a 6.5cm?

OP
Brandon

Brandon

FNG
I bought a factory Tikka .243 with a 1/8 twist, then took it to a gunsmith and had him ream it to a 6CM. Have been super happy with it and I can now shoot the factory 108 ELD-M. Cost me about $150, and couldn’t be happier.
I have only read about one other guy doing this. I don't know a lot about gunsmithing, but if it works, it seems like an easy way to go.

PineBrook413

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I went the tikka 1-8" 243 route.

I reload so that helps but it shoots the 108 eld-m's very well at 2800 fps. I figure i'll run this until it needs a barrel and then maybe throw on a 6 creed prefit. Definitely the easy way to shoot 6mm heavies right off the shelf.

OP
Brandon

Brandon

FNG
I found and bought a 6mm ACE barrel blank just in case I decide to buy and swap a barrel or build. I still haven't ruled out going 6.5cm and shooting 120 eldm suppressed.

Thank you everyone for the info and thoughts! Keep it coming and I will let you know what I end up doing as well.

I didn't realize a 6cm chamber cleans up a 243 chamber.
Not sure what you mean by “cleans up”, so I’m not sure how to address the statement. When I rechambered it, they do have to cut some of the barrel for the rechamber but it took it from a 22” barrel down to about a 21” barrel.

The reason I didn’t stay with the 243 is that I wanted to shoot the 108s and I didn’t want to have to reload for it. Can’t get the 243 with that load as a factory option but could with the 6CM.

I stalked the forum for 7 or 8 years before posting. Not sure how OP went 11. Lol

I have hunted with a .243 since forever. I wanted a new rifle and wanted to try something new so I got a Tikka in 6.5 Creed. I'm enjoying it, shooting 143 ELDx hand loads. Inalso tinker with 123 ELDm but didn't think the recoil was that much less. The muzzle moves around more than my 243 with 85 Nosler Partitions but not enough to make me hate it. I'm personally going to shoot the creed for a couple years, get it out to an NRL Hunter match or 2 them after I get trigger time I'll decide if I want to drop it back to a 6Cm or 243.

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Just put together a Tikka in 8 twist .243 that Morgan with Class 3 Machining in the Dallas area shortened to 16” and threaded for me. Take off barrel I picked up from J&A. With UM 103 gr ELD X handloads it’s averaging 2850 fps. Quickly becoming my favorite rifle to shoot. Even cheap 100 gr Hornady Interlocks group amazingly well and make predictable hits out to 500. Only taken the ELDs to 800 on steel but they are deadly accurate. Have an 18” Carbon 6 6 CM cf barrel in the works. Will be a while and had to scratch the 6mm itch in the mean time.IMG_2364.jpeg

Last edited:

Hydra6

FNG
Slight thread drift but I lucked into some takeoff Tikka CTR 260 Remington barrels - one OEM at 20 inch and one OEM but cut and threaded to 16 inch. If you run across a deal on a Tikka 260...................