6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

It’s interesting that in the 223 thread the TMK bullet is the far and away winner for what’s suggested for use but there’s not a clear front runner for the 6’s.

I’ve got a bevy of 6’s but I’m currently leaning towards hunting a 6 ARC in a Proof Elevation MTR. The rifle is very accurate with factory 108 ELD-M’s. I tried loading some 95 NBT’s with CFE-223 but was underwhelmed which surprised me because of the ease of usually finding a load with the Noslers. Not sure I like the CFE a lot…

Anyway, what’s the leaning for this slower 6 bullet wise? I am still going to work up some 95 NBT loads but in the meantime are there other projectiles that would make this cartridge sing? Primarily hunting Texas for deer and pigs.

And how does the 108 ELD stack up. In the thread in all 21 pages I never got a real sense of 108 on game in flesh performance. Is this one of the splashy ELD’s or will it penetrate a little better?

eric1115

WKR
It’s interesting that in the 223 thread the TMK bullet is the far and away winner for what’s suggested for use but there’s not a clear front runner for the 6’s.

I’ve got a bevy of 6’s but I’m currently leaning towards hunting a 6 ARC in a Proof Elevation MTR. The rifle is very accurate with factory 108 ELD-M’s. I tried loading some 95 NBT’s with CFE-223 but was underwhelmed which surprised me because of the ease of usually finding a load with the Noslers. Not sure I like the CFE a lot…

Anyway, what’s the leaning for this slower 6 bullet wise? I am still going to work up some 95 NBT loads but in the meantime are there other projectiles that would make this cartridge sing? Primarily hunting Texas for deer and pigs.

And how does the 108 ELD stack up. In the thread in all 21 pages I never got a real sense of 108 on game in flesh performance. Is this one of the splashy ELD’s or will it penetrate a little better?
That's because there's no 6mm 115 TMK. That would be the bee's knees.

I've had excellent results (though small sample size of two) with the 108 out of the ARC. Pass through (both) at just under 100, lung soup, 20-30 yard run.

That's because there's no 6mm 115 TMK. That would be the bee's knees.

I've had excellent results (though small sample size of two) with the 108 out of the ARC. Pass through (both) at just under 100, lung soup, 20-30 yard run.
That's great to hear. I thought that was about what I would experience, but it's nice to hear of someone who's used the exact combo I'm thinking about. I appreciate the input.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
The 95 TMK NBT is recommended for slower twist .243’s. It was designed for shooting elk with a .243 Win.

@eric1115 is correct…a 115-120 grain TMK would be THE answer.

I shoot the 108 ELD-M from my current 6XC and my previous 6CM…

Last edited:

ThatDUDE

WKR

I picked up a Howa Mini in 6mm ARC. There has been a lot of information on here about the 108 ELDM. I know @Ryan Avery has posted about them when his wife has used them on Elk and Black Bears out of a 6 Creedmoor. I am just going to keep it above 1800 fps for reliable expansion and go kill things.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

There are a bunch of good 6mm bullets that work- 103gr ELD-X, 105gr HPBT, 108gr and 109gr ELD-M, 112gr Barnes MatchBurner, 115gr DTAC, 95/105/115gr Bergers, etc. 95gr TMK if you could find any would be my choice.

The difference is that the 77gr TMK was specifically designed around a certain impact velocity, and to work all the way to very low impact velocities- and by “work” I don’t mean a pretty bullet with high weight retention. There have been no bullets in 6mm designed for that. Yet.

gabenzeke

WKR
There are a bunch of good 6mm bullets that work- 103gr ELD-X, 105gr HPBT, 108gr and 109gr ELD-M, 112gr Barnes MatchBurner, 115gr DTAC, 95/105/115gr Bergers, etc. 95gr TMK if you could find any would be my choice.

The difference is that the 77gr TMK was specifically designed around a certain impact velocity, and to work all the way to very low impact velocities- and by “work” I don’t mean a pretty bullet with high weight retention. There have been no bullets in 6mm designed for that. Yet.
If the 95 tmk is your favorite, but it's not available, what's second best?

Also, if it were up to you, would you choose a 243 ai or 6 creed?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Form, you talked highly of the 95 NBT as well, but it wasn’t in your list above. Something change? I’ve had quite a bit of experience with it and it seems to have the front end fragility for devastating wound cavities but yet also has good penetration qualities. I understood the reasons you liked it from personal experience. And how does the 108 ELD compare?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider

So... if 105 hpbt were $20/100 cheaper than 103/108 eld's in your neck of the woods would you still use the 103/108 ?

BLJ

WKR
So... if 105 hpbt were $20/100 cheaper than 103/108 eld's in your neck of the woods would you still use the 103/108 ?
Interested in this as well. They are cheaper and seem to be more readily available.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form, you talked highly of the 95 NBT as well, but it wasn’t in your list above. Something change? I’ve had quite a bit of experience with it and it seems to have the front end fragility for devastating wound cavities but yet also has good penetration qualities. I understood the reasons you liked it from personal experience. And how does the 108 ELD compare?

It’s a great bullet terminally. The issue is the low BC. At 400 or 500 or so yards max, it’s a good choice.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

For most uses, yes. I personally prefer the tipped bullets. The 105gr Hornady HPBT kills well, and penetrates a bit deer than the ELD-M.

texag10

WKR
It's too bad @Unknown Munitions and @Ryan Avery can't get a bullet maker to do a heavy 6mm. David Tubbs contracts for his bullets correct? GA Precision contracts for their 109 ELDM. I wonder what it would take to get one of the current manufactures to make a heavy 6mm?
Pretty sure DTACs are made by sierra. I wonder why Hornady isn't producing 109s given they have a nice little bump in BC over the 108s for a 1 gr weight increase.

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
That's great to hear. I thought that was about what I would experience, but it's nice to hear of someone who's used the exact combo I'm thinking about. I appreciate the input.
I used a 108 eldm on a white tail buck at about 200 yards. Golf ball sized exit and lungs were absolutely destroyed. As far as tissue damage, I feel pretty comfortable shooting big animals with it.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
So I already have a Remington model 7 243 1-9.125” twist that shoots 95grBT extremely well. But for some reason am thinking very hard about getting a 1-8” Tikka 243. Am I crazy? What would I actually gain? I keep trying to tell myself to just use that money to buy more bullets and components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sveltri

WKR
So I already have a Remington model 7 243 1-9.125” twist that shoots 95grBT extremely well. But for some reason am thinking very hard about getting a 1-8” Tikka 243. Am I crazy? What would I actually gain? I keep trying to tell myself to just use that money to buy more bullets and components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m in the same boat decision wise.