6.5's for elk

WKR
For me, it is past where I would shoot at my elevations. So I am good to whatever the max range based on the conditions would be. But for me any impact with those above 2000 fps and they will work fine. And not saying below that they will not, just that 2000 and above is my experience.

which would be what velocity in your experience?
It's a general answer for your general question. The answer depends as much on bullet construction as it does anything else. The Accubond is designed, roughly, to expand down to impacts at 1,800 fps, the long range version down to 1,300 fps. I'm sure Berger falls somewhere in that range and mono bullets generally need higher impact velocities to achieve equivalent expansion. You're asking a question with multiple correct answers.

OP
Newtosavage
It's a general answer for your general question. The answer depends as much on bullet construction as it does anything else. The Accubond is designed, roughly, to expand down to impacts at 1,800 fps, the long range version down to 1,300 fps. I'm sure Berger falls somewhere in that range and mono bullets generally need higher impact velocities to achieve equivalent expansion. You're asking a question with multiple correct answers.
I didn't think it was that general of question - I was asking specifically about the bullet you mentioned you have experience with (Berger VLD). Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I have used Berger bullets for a while now. My personal velocity limit for them is 1800fps. Between myself, family and buddies I’ve witnessed a lot of animals taken with Berger’s. The furthest I’ve seen an animal travel is probably 30 yards but was mainly stumbling. Most are DRT and act like a rug was pulled from under them. Vital hits are devastating and destroy them. Even shoulder shots I’ve seen break bones and continue into the cavity.
I completely trust the Berger bullets. I have use the VLD hunting but mainly shoot hybrids. The 195EOL is also quickly becoming a favorite.

I have never had an issue with Berger’s not expanding at distance, but I can’t speak for distance with 6.5 past 650 yards. I have had them pencil hole through on small thin skinned game like coyotes and bobcats at closer distance.

I’ll add that was from an extremely fast 6mm AI with a 105 Berger though. Devastating on white tail.

mcseal2

WKR
Had that happen with the 6mm 87gr also. They need some body depth to expand well. Great for antelope and larger game.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Bullet design or caliber matter much less on spine or neck shots IMO. And the fact that no one is aiming there on purpose at LR I would hope. But I have hit my fair share of animals in the spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3sdad

FNG
I think as close to 2000 fps is a good impact velocity, but as stated above, bullet type/construction is the ultimate factor. For me the 2000 fps is a good general rule of thumb.
Here is a picture of the recovered 143 eldx. Recovered weight was 105 grains.
IMG_20190502_190238657.jpg

IMO most any premium bullet and even most regular bullets if driven at reasonable velocity for their design will perform well especially when placed into the vitals.
I don’t pick my bullet based on the “ what if I make a bad shot or hit it in the wrong spot “ philosophy. Make a bad shot with ANY bullet and it’s still a BAD shot.
I’m confident in my ability and my rifle with my chosen bullet. Most the time that is the most accurate load in my rifle and many times it’s a Berger bullet.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I disagree, big bullets can make up for bad shots. Go read my thread on the 6.5 PRC for elk. No one wants to make a bad shot but it happens just like it happened to me in that thread and I am damn confident in my abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
I was running the numbers today comparing my 300WSM 180 accubond, 375 h&h 300 partition, 270win 150 LRAB and 260ai 140rdf. When I run the numbers at 600 and beyond the 270 and 6.5 walk away from the others. It takes a super slick 30+ bullet and a ton of powder to best what these little things can do.

please show me the numbers. I have all three calibers. 300wsm, 270, 6.5 Creed, and 6.5x47. The 300wsm delivers more energy down range than the other three by far. And even more so 600yds and out. I think your math is very very wrong

I wrote up a big ass article about blah blah this and blah blah that... I don’t own a 6.5mm so mainly because I like to argue..

Whatcha calling a bad shot?

Through the rear legs?

Guts?

To be completely fair there’s been periods of time where a guy will go out and kill something every day just because. Do it enough and the bullet occasionally doesn’t go through the vitals.

I’m not convinced 30 caliber absolves gut shots even at medium range on the small ungulates.

Not gonna lie it’ll rip apart a wallaby if you hit them anywhere in the torso less then 50

but even goats with their guts shot out will try to achieve locomotion with their front legs for a lot longer then you’d think and make a hell of a lot of noise while at it.

The only good thing is it’ll bring the mob back and you can use up the rest of your ammo..

Saving weight yeah??

2017 I shot a fair bit of stuff in New Zealand with 200gr eld-x Not sure exactly but well into The 40 animals for sure in 2 months.

i’d Not trade a 77gr tmk for a 200gr eld-x inside of 450 yards.

Par for the course for the tmk. 2” exit, soupy vitals.

82F48631-2761-4ACC-ADF9-595DA9C6A0AE.jpeg

EBA301C3-3AA3-4FDB-A01C-6CBE0D81D9A1.jpeg

Oh yeah we were talking about 6.5's and elk? no experience there. Carry on.

204guy

WKR
please show me the numbers. I have all three calibers. 300wsm, 270, 6.5 Creed, and 6.5x47. The 300wsm delivers more energy down range than the other three by far. And even more so 600yds and out. I think your math is very very wrong
He's not talking about "ft lbs of energy" there's a pretty big disconnect between wound channels and energy. See Ryan's example above. Impact velocity and bullet construction matter far more, which is what he's getting at. Not to mention windage. About the only useful metric that you can use "energy" for is when comparing very similar bullet design.

Wrench

WKR

These are my own rifles, verified in the field and on the chronograph. 1st is my 300WSM 180 accubond, next is 270win 150 LRAB last is 260ai 140rdf.
Screenshot_2019-05-03-22-54-34.pngScreenshot_2019-05-03-22-54-13.pngScreenshot_2019-05-03-22-53-57.png

Ryan
I don’t disagree big bullets can and do help make up for bad shots. Sure do like the 230s from my 30-378.
My point was I’ve talked to and seen many people state” I don’t shoot Berger because they explode or something to the effect of if you hit bone or make a bad shot I’d rather have a partition,TSX or other Premium hunting bullet.
My point was a bad shot is still a bad shot but I still have confidence in the Berger and it’s ability to destroy bone and tissue more so than the Premium hunting bullets.

Last edited:

bamagun

FNG
Bull last year was 505 with the 150 ABLR and fell forward for two steps. Second last year at 200ish yds went around 75 yards. That was out of the 270wsm. Recovered the bullet from the 505 yarder and it was clear it was starting to run out of steam, but still effective.