6.5's for elk

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
ive personally seen 3 good sized bull elk taken with 129 lrab's at 250 and 350 yards with the creedmoor. im not sure on mv's as they werent my guns/loads.

Wrench

WKR
Not really an apples to apples comparison with bullet selection for each but to your point you'd probably need a pretty stoutly loaded 200 MatchKing or so in that WSM to hang.
Agreed.
So 140's at 1800 fps., according to most bullet specs... ?

That's not a lot of energy. Does the SD make up for that in your experience?

It's just shy of 1050 ft/lbs.

To be honest, energy doesn't make as much difference to me as most. I know that I've killed bulls at 50 feet with a 300rum and 375's and they ran like hell even though the energy should have left them in a smoldering gravel pit. I know that 1000 ft/lbs is the internet magic number for energy. I know that you nor anyone you know can balance a 500 lb weight on your body if it's. 264" wide and pointed. I know that every elk I've ever pointed my 6.5 at has died less than 100' from where I hit it, and most within 20. I know that 1800fps will mushroom a 140rdf and matchburner because I've done it....one time I killed a bull, rowed a shell in handed my rifle to my pard and he stacked another bull right next to mine. Those were with mb's at 740 yards.

I don't take low percentage shots as a rule and would rather watch a bull walk away than chase it around hurt.

Okhotnik

WKR
In my experience, you want to be careful using the 6.5 on elk, and choose shots that give you a high percentage of a hit behind the shoulder, double lung. I would be hesitant to use the 6.5 at longer ranges (400+??) with anything less than perfect conditions.
yep

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
In my experience, you want to be careful using the 6.5 on elk, and choose shots that give you a high percentage of a hit behind the shoulder, double lung. I would be hesitant to use the 6.5 at longer ranges (400+??) with anything less than perfect conditions.

I could not agree more. Here is my experience from last year. Read post #52

Wrench

WKR
I've watched them soak up a stupid amount of lead when things don't go well.

It is nice when you know that you aren't going to scatter a scope or base because your rifle is a creamer puff.....but it's got its price too. There's no ass to teakettle shots with the mini magnums.

All the animals I've shot eldm at have died but the bullet performance has left something to be desired. This was 168 gr 308 at 305, frontal on s whitetail this fall. He was dead before he hit the ground but the bullet didn't do much to give me faith in it.
4a5c112ffad491e7f0953ca4bbd5c974.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t suggest using a target bullet that isn’t meant to expand for hunting. I would try the eldx or even better the SST

Wrench

WKR
I wouldn’t suggest using a target bullet that isn’t meant to expand for hunting. I would try the eldx or even better the SST

I have a friend who's taken a lot of critters with the eld x & m. His experience says that the m has been consistently more effective. The x has had a fail to expand and just bent the nose over.

Small sample size....I know.

I have a friend who's taken a lot of critters with the eld x & m. His experience says that the m has been consistently more effective. The x has had a fail to expand and just bent the nose over.

Small sample size....I know.
That is interesting as it seems to contradict the pic that sram posted. With how accurate modern day hunting bullets and rifles are I don’t see the benefits of shooting match ammo in the field. If your hunting ammo can do sub moa at the range that’s more accurate than most if not all of us after climbing a mountain all day is how I look at it.

Wrench

WKR
That is interesting as it seems to contradict the pic that sram posted. With how accurate modern day hunting bullets and rifles are I don’t see the benefits of shooting match ammo in the field. If your hunting ammo can do sub moa at the range that’s more accurate than most if not all of us after climbing a mountain all day is how I look at it.

If you kept the impact speeds up....I whole heartedly agree. Once the speed scrubs off the tables turn.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

I disagree, I’ve either shot or witness way to many elk get shot with target bullets with deadly results. Especially when they are heavy for caliber.

I use to hang around with two Indian brothers, both hunted with 30-378 Weatherby’s. One shot a 180 Partition the other 180 BT. The 180 BT was almost always a one shot DRT. The Partition shot elk always seemed to run a ways then pile up. And i watched them shoot a lot of elk and deer. No real science here but outside of large predators, I’m using target bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
I disagree, I’ve either shot or witness way to many elk get shot with target bullets with deadly results. Especially when they are heavy for caliber.

I use to hang around with two Indian brothers, both hunted with 30-378 Weatherby’s. One shot a 180 Partition the other 180 BT. The 180 BT was almost always a one shot DRT. The Partition shot elk always seemed to run a ways then pile up. And i watched them shoot a lot of elk and deer. No real science here but outside of large predators, I’m using target bullets.

I think this is the logic behind the popularity of the Berger VLD's if I'm not mistaken? I confess when I learned about that, it did surprise me since it went against all conventional wisdom.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I think this is the logic behind the popularity of the Berger VLD's if I'm not mistaken? I confess when I learned about that, it did surprise me since it went against all conventional wisdom.

It’s very hard for some people to grasp how effective they are. But truthfully I’ve never shot a VLD Berger, only their Target bullets with a thicker jacket. :)

Wrench

WKR
My experience mimics yours Ryan. I've sent a bunch of tsx's through elk and they reacted pretty much like you described. Ran off and died.

The match bullets are like a bomb going off inside. As you know, the key is giving them that necessary 6ish inches of soft tissue to upset the bullet and make the bomb go off.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I don't like to bullshit anyone or say that all target bullets work. Last year I lost a bull. I shot him at 1365 yards. I hit him three times out of four shot. My first two impacted right behind the shoulder. The third shot missed because my bipod collapsed in the snow. The fourth shot hit him high and knocked him down. All shots on video. I knew he was dead. I got over there found where he went down, lots of blood, no elk. Looked for a day and a half there were so many elk tracks I could not figure out which way he went. Knowing I killed him I punched my tag. Six days later my buddy found him 650 yards up the mountain. It was puzzling because it was super steep. On inspections, it looked like none of the bullets opened. Impacted Velocity was around 2075. The bullet was a 230 SMK. NOW that is a bullet failure and my failure. I was lured in by that BC. I have little doubt a 230 Berger or 225 ELD-M would have anchored him. And let's not get all high and mighty about LR. The last animal I lost(elk) was with a bow ten years ago. That SMK has a tapered tip and will not open easily. SO please don't use them on animals.

Heres the bull.. What a ******* shame. I hung him over my computer desk so I can look at him every day and remember...

20181025_112112.jpg