6.5's for elk

204guy

WKR
Nooooo, not Chuck the dunce of the shooting world.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Put another way, aside from energy what is the difference between a 6mm Accubond and .338 Accubond traveling the same speed if it's not energy?

Volume. and it’s accompanying ability to displace fluid etc.

2 examples on a macro scale that I can give you are being passed by a motorcycle as opposed to passed by a semi going the same speed. The increased volume of the truck is noticeable as it displaced enough air to push your vehicle with it as it goes by.

Another example would be if you are in a large boat or a small one with otherwise identical hull form going the same speed- the big one will push a substantially larger wake.

Translate that to bullets and it equates to (without factoring bullet upset/ fragmentation) wound volume and tissue loss/disruption/ disolcement etc and accompanying loss of blood pressure and subsequently life

Last edited:
Volume. and it’s accompanying ability to displace fluid etc.

2 examples on a macro scale that I can give you are being passed by a motorcycle as opposed to passed by a semi going the same speed. The increased volume of the truck is noticeable as it displaced enough air to push your vehicle with it as it goes by.

Another example would be if you are in a large boat or a small one with otherwise identical hull form going the same speed- the big one will push a substantially larger wake.

Translate that to bullets and it equates to (without factoring bullet upset/ fragmentation) wound volume and tissue loss/disruption/ disolcement etc and accompanying loss of blood pressure and subsequently life

I don't think anyone is arguing that a larger bullet going the same speed as a smaller bullet is going to kill better. Personally, I have transcended such barbaric methods and prefer to take my animals using the technique of "hard nihilism"--persuading them that their lives are meaningless, until they, slowly over time, reach peak existential-crisis and take their own lives after writing me a suicide note that provides me with their GPS coordinates.

Bull last year was 505 with the 150 ABLR and fell forward for two steps. Second last year at 200ish yds went around 75 yards. That was out of the 270wsm. Recovered the bullet from the 505 yarder and it was clear it was starting to run out of steam, but still effective.
What are your personal opinions on the ABLR? I bought a box to work up a load for but now I’m reading things that concern me about their performance especially at short distances. Is there any truth to it? I was going to use the 175s in my 7mm. They don’t make the regular Accubond in that grain

bamagun

FNG
What are your personal opinions on the ABLR? I bought a box to work up a load for but now I’m reading things that concern me about their performance especially at short distances. Is there any truth to it? I was going to use the 175s in my 7mm. They don’t make the regular Accubond in that grain

I dont have a ton of experience with them (probably 20 or so animals), but each one Ive killed didnt move more than a handfull of steps and most had great exit holes (with the exception of that bull last year at 200 or so yards and he made it to 75 or so yards, but hey, thats a grown bull with a 270). I think Ive heard (and assuming its what youre talking about) that they like to break up, but in my amateur opinion unless youre shooting a buffalo through some bone I dont see where a whole bunch of holes going through vitals is an issue. I shoot the ABLR and AB for the most part out of the 270wsm and have never not recovered an animal within eyesight of where the animal was hit so Ill continue to use them (but Ive also killed critters with core-loks that were banged all to hell too). Amateur opinion again, but find a bullet your gun shoots MOA ish, point straight, close your eyes, yank the trigger, then go skin the animal. I think people (myself included) get too caught up in details that, at the end of the day, in the woods or side of the mountain, dont really matter much.