6.5 Creedmoor for my wife

My wife has said that she wants to get a rifle for hunting here in Montana, would be for elk mukeys wolf and bear.

I was thinking the Ruger M77 chambered in 6.5? Should be fairly light, with enough performance from the cartridge to put down anything here in MT...

Any other gun model in 6.5 I should be lookijg at for her? She is 5'4" I believe and is small in stature. She isnt afraid of guns, shoots the Rem 7mm mag my grandfather gave me with no problem.

I was hoping to find a lighter gun so she can tote it around the woods, but not so light that it causes more felt recoil.

Thanks for any advice!

RMLamp

FNG
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round and the Browning A Bolt rifle I have it in is becoming my "Go to" rifle for most of my hunting needs. Even with that being said there's nothing hunting wise that the 6.5 does significantly better than the 260. I don't own a 260 (yet) but may end up adding one to the lineup simply because brass and cartridges are more readily available and if need be I can re-neck 308 or 243 for reloading. Get the 6.5 if you want something different, get the 260 if you want an established caliber and all the advantages that come with that.

I got my wife the Savage Lady hunter in 6.5 creed moor. With factory Hornady 120 Amax getting close to a .5 moa. I have her ringing steel at over 500 yards and will be leaving today to find her a bull. Awesome guns, low recoil, fits my little wife great, and makes for a great mtn gun when i don't want to pack my mag all day.

I will be hand loading harder hitting loads this winter but it'll do the trick for anything under 400 yards.

Jake

Kay9Cop

FNG
Ruger compact in 260 Remington. My adult daughter shoots this and loves it. More ammo choices than Creedmor.

Shrek

WKR
I forgot to mention that the last two Ruger M77 II and a Hawkeye were both rough cycling and so so accurate for a factory rifle. Triggers are yuck ! and the after market one I bought for the Hawkeye wasn't much better. The MK II I sold after about 30 shots but the Hawkeye stuck around a season and I shot a half dozen deer with it. I worked on loads and put a trigger in it but it was still creepy and the action wasn't smoothing up. It got traded for my last encore. I'm over trying to make Rugers work for me. Savage 16 , 10 , or 11 in whatever flavor is what I'd buy for an accurate value rifle. I don't think Tikka does a 6.5 but they are nice enough. Miroku makes a fine A Bolt for Browning.

Am partial to the winchester featherweight compact, for all of their advertized reasons plus it just looks and feels good. Have 243 but any 308 based round would get my attention

Savage has a lady hunter 6.5 creed moor. Has a higher comb since women typically have longer necks.

6.5 creedmoor 129 GMX factory loads, 402 yards, dropped dead in 30 yards

IMG_20141020_113753_zps790cce07.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Camo_Man

FNG
I'm interested in a light weight mountain rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmor. I'm looking at the Howa Alpine and Kimber Mountain rifles but would like suggestions on other manufacturers/ models. I would like to stay in the $1500 or less price range. Really like the Kimber but the reviews out there are extremely mixed, scaring me away. Haven't picked up the Howa yet. My budget includes scope.

Thanks in advance.

dotman

WKR
I'm interested in a light weight mountain rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmor. I'm looking at the Howa Alpine and Kimber Mountain rifles but would like suggestions on other manufacturers/ models. I would like to stay in the $1500 or less price range. Really like the Kimber but the reviews out there are extremely mixed, scaring me away. Haven't picked up the Howa yet. My budget includes scope.

Thanks in advance.

If your looking at the Howa I would just get the barreled action and slap a manners stock on it. Your over paying for their alpine. The new Manner mcs-eh8 is 22-24oz and the barreled light weight action is 4.75lbs, so you would end up with a 6lb ish setup without scope and have a much better stock.

jb79

WKR
I was just looking at a new ruger America predator today in 6.5 and almost pulled the trigger but wanted to do a little more looking. The rifle is nothing special but for a sub $400 gun I thought it would be great for predator and my sons/wife's gun when needed.

Seemed like there was plenty of factory ammo on the shelf and quite a bit of reloading options in stock.....

Would love to here thoughts on the ruger and the 6.5 as well. This would not be a dedicated hunting rifle just an all around truck gun.

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
Bought my wife the Savage Lady Hunter when they brought it out in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shoots great and she loves it.

Camo_Man

FNG
Dotman - thanks for the suggestion. I was unaware you can buy the barrel/action/trigger separate from the stock? Is it pretty easy to install or are there links to instruct how to do it? This is my first rifle being a bow hunter.

dotman

WKR
Dotman - thanks for the suggestion. I was unaware you can buy the barrel/action/trigger separate from the stock? Is it pretty easy to install or are there links to instruct how to do it? This is my first rifle being a bow hunter.

Yup they just bolt together but you will probably want to have a gunsmith bed the action in the stock. It is easy to do but sounds like you may be better off having a smith do it :). Just google Howa Barrled Action, think it is legacy sports that sells them, the lightweight action and barrel only comes blued from them but that is what the Alpine uses, they just cerakote it.