6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Is there much of an air gap between tip and top of lead in the 140mb?

I am becoming more and more of a believer in the otm match bullets yaw and tear off the front ~1\3 of the bullet as form has said many times as opposed to opening from the front. If this is true the more supported the nose of the bullet is by lead the harder it would be to tear off.

Here is 2 front 1/3 portions of 109 berger showing the tip did not open in gel.
View attachment 752518
FWIW, here is the only MB I’ve recovered, out of the 2 I’ve killed with.

112 MB at 2,800 fps into the front shoulder of a Blacktail and lodged under the offside hide. It definitely opened from the front and performed beautifully in my opinion.

IMG_4501.jpeg

So did the 109 perform in the gel by tumbling? Or did it not perform at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looked like a typical berger to me. I don't know for a fact but I think they yaw (turn sideways) the front tears off leading to fast deceleration/fragmentation until velocity slows to a point fragmentation stops and whatever is left (if anything) keeps penetrating.

It looked like a typical berger to me. I don't know for a fact but I think they yaw (turn sideways) the front tears off leading to fast deceleration/fragmentation until velocity slows to a point fragmentation stops and whatever is left (if anything) keeps penetrating.

Thanks for the info. I myself have been wondering if the tip on bergers collapse or break causing the initiation of fragmentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently got back from my fourth Snow Sheep hunt from Siberia’s far east where I took this ram:
IMG_8365.jpeg
As usual, I took my Blaser K95 single shot rifle, this time using its 6,5x57R barrel.
I used a 127gr LRX bullet pushed by Vihta’s N560 at 2,870 fps.
Below is a picture of the exit in the carcass, and from the outside with the front leg removed.

IMG_8384.jpegIMG_8385.jpeg

6.5 creed tikka cut to 18” with ss pro 4 brake. Maven RS 1.2 and UM lows mounted to factory rail. Rokstok arca/pic on a Leofoto tripod. Shooting Hornady ELDM 147. (8.1lbs)

Garmin chronograph 2482 fps avg.
Around 1800fps at 600 yards.

Moved scope so I finished zeroing today. Dialed and knocked down a few standing silhouettes. Setup 20 silos from 300-624 yards. Dialed and dumped them. Missed twice at 600 however had a decent mirage from barrel. Then proceeded to shoot at a 600 yard range to verify elevation dialed as I thought it may be a touch low. Shot ten overall. Gun now verified for elevation. A good day at the range!

This gun hardly kicks. Can spot most shots. Cannot wait to draw blood over the next few months.

Attachments

• IMG_7528.jpeg
    IMG_7528.jpeg
    825.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7526.jpeg
    IMG_7526.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Please forgive me if this was mentioned. Has anyone killed with the factory 120 eld-m or that bullet in general? My 16” tikka loves it. BC compromised significantly of course. Just concerned with terminal.

-J

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2487.png
    IMG_2487.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 33
Obviously not quite the same but I gave the 123 Amax a try in the 260AI a decade or so ago and it was a shitshow with almost zero penetration on hogs

Back