6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Are any of the cup and core traditional deer factory ammo worth a dang in 6.5 cm? Look to set up a new rifle, something 0-300 that's a little bit more cost effective than eldm. The one deer I shoot with bondstrikes barely left any blood. American whitetail? Fusion? I suppose if I've had success with fusions in 30 cal they'd work in 6.5 too?

nobody

WKR
Are any of the cup and core traditional deer factory ammo worth a dang in 6.5 cm? Look to set up a new rifle, something 0-300 that's a little bit more cost effective than eldm. The one deer I shoot with bondstrikes barely left any blood. American whitetail? Fusion? I suppose if I've had success with fusions in 30 cal they'd work in 6.5 too?
Personally, if I wasn't shooting an ELDM or ELDX and wanted cost effective (IE inexpensive) factory ammo, I would go with the Fusions or just the American Whitetail, in that order.

TreeDog

FNG
My GF has knocked the snot out of quite a few animals with the American Whitetail. Shoots 1-1.25 moa in her Tikka.

Using the 30cal logic, I’d say american whitetail would be good. I shot a deer last year at ~100-150 yards with .308 American Whitetail and it left a very nice exit wound and blood trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Core Lokt is a decent bullet in most calibers.

amassi

WKR

129 sst or 129 tipped corelokt

How many did you plan on shooting or missing to make the cost of a pack of bullets make a difference

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
I’m testing the discontinued Speer Deep Curls in .260. These were the precursor to the Fusions. They’ll hammer.

SouthPaw

WKR
6.5cm Tikka/Bravo/SWFA, 135g DRT Terminal Shock
Roosevelt Bull Elk, 452 yards, 2030 fps impact

Bullet entered above onside elbow, clipped front of lungs, impacted/destroyed offside shoulder knuckle with evidence of full fragmentation of the tungsten core. Jacket chunks recovered in offside shoulder. Bull tumbled downhill ~40 yards.

133958.jpg

134034.jpg

172110 (2).jpg

Last edited:

bbell

WKR

I shot some deer with 140gr 260 core lokt which is the same bullet at the same speed and they performed how you’d expect a core lokt to.

The Winchester deer season XP basically performs like a TMK. It expands/fragments rapidly upon energy and liquifies the vitals. The only difference being a lot of fragments will make it into the offside should and basically trash it so expect to lose some meat unless you want to eat sharp copper fragments and lead.

When I first started hunting whitetail in Alabama in 2007 I noticed the older members of the hunting club mostly were using 260s. At the time I was using 270 and a 30-06. Those older guys knew what they needed to kill deer. The younger and middle aged guys looking for something effective but less recoil were going with 7mm08. I bought a 7mm08.
Fast forward to 2023. Old guys and their 260s are gone or no longer hunting. I’m an old guy now and still shooting the 7mm08 but the younger guys shooting 6.5. I will continue on with my 7mm08 but If I buy another deer rifle it will very likely be a 6.5 cm.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any 130tmk and varget or h4831sc loads they're liking.? I don't have any h4350 and I'm not sure if these two options will be too far from optimal to use.

amassi

WKR
Anyone have any 130tmk and varget or h4831sc loads they're liking.? I don't have any h4350 and I'm not sure if these two options will be too far from optimal to use.

Sierra does
bd37868be6c3d841770d1af6bf432b8d.png

Midway had RL17 twice in the last 3 months, it’s a solid load as well

Rooggvc

WKR
I heard a good one at my LGS today.

Two strangers talking.

“I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor but sold it because my buddy said to take that shit back and get a .270. Where we hunt elk in Oregon is thick timber and we want a bigger, slower bullet. “

Made me chuckle.

Last edited: