6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

There are plenty of pictures of elk through out this thread; a lot past 400 yds

I was asked about a specific post. In that post it was even mentioned that he doesn’t get an exit. I want to make sure it’s understood that I prefaced my statement with “I think..”

I like having Exit wounds, and good blood trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Drank the koolaid and ordered a T3X in 6.5CM. People I trust tell me I'll be undergunned for elk. Hope to find out that's not true this fall.
This thread has put that worry to bed, I think.

It's worth noting what makes it work well, though. The cartridge is not magic in itself. It's merely a round that allows people to shoot a lot in a relatively affordable manner and without a lot of recoil, which results in good shot placement, which results in dead animals.

It will not make up for lack of practice, unreliable scopes, or bullets that aren't optimized to it's velocity band.

Wishing you good luck! Post your results in this thread!

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has put that worry to bed, I think.

It's worth noting what makes it work well, though. The cartridge is not magic in itself. It's merely a round that allows people to shoot a lot in a relatively affordable manner and without a lot of recoil, which results in good shot placement, which results in dead animals.

It will not make up for lack of practice, unreliable scopes, or bullets that aren't optimized to it's velocity band.

Wishing you good luck! Post your results in this thread!
Will do. The whole idea was cheap ammo, low recoil, and lots of shooting. Shot a 270 a bunch this summer but never could get it to group better than 3" and decided I wasn't interested in putting more money into it.

ETA: 2000 rounds through a T1x and 150 through a 270 this summer. No illusions that 6.5 is a death ray. Goal was sufficient for 400y elk, not ready to go all in on a 223.

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR
Drank the koolaid and ordered a T3X in 6.5CM. People I trust tell me I'll be undergunned for elk. Hope to find out that's not true this fall.
The people you trust likely had issues with smaller cartridges due to poor placement or selecting the wrong bullet for the job. We‘ve had good results from a 260Rem on Elk. It likes 140gr factory core-lokts. So we keep distances moderate and take broadside shots. If your gun shoots it well, the 147gr eld-m mentioned here will give you more flexibility on distance than the core-lokt we use.

BAKPAKR

WKR
This is a 147 gr ELD-M from a bighorn ram at a little over 400 yards. It went in right behind the shoulder. The ram dropped in his tracks. The bullet started at 2625 fps.

My daughter used the same bullet out of a PRC to drop two elk in their tracks last year - one at 250 and one at a little over 500.

IMG_1204.jpeg

Kinda feel like a broken record, but here’s sheep number 6 from the 6.5 CM, this year the Fieldcraft barrel was cut down from 21” to 18” and shooting G9 Defense 113g Long Range Hunter ammunition.

Prepared for a 730 yard shot, but couldn’t get the right presentation. Got above him and took the shot at 70 yards, Quartered to me. Entry in front left shoulder. The petals came off of the two part brass projectile as designed and caused massive damage to the bone in that shoulder, ie. completely shattered. The shank of the bullet continued through the body and lodged next to the right rear hip.IMG_8249.jpegIMG_8839.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow that’s fast. My 16” with imr 4350 at the same charge weight is 2620fps

I know H and imr are not identical but they are quite close

That's because despite what some on here believe, there is a higher velocity loss per inch of barrel once you get to a certain point. Below 20" on a 6.5 CM is where it really starts picking up but 18" isn't bad, 16" is slow AF and I've had cut rifled 16" 6.5's and even they were still slow. Also if you're comparing velocity from the typical Tikka barrel on here, they're slow barrels too whereas DTA barrels are not. A better barrel and 18" vs 16" can easily equal a huge difference. The logic on here will have you thinking you can cut a 24" barrel with a 2700fps load down to 1" and only lose 600fps but that's not at all how that shit works.

That's because despite what some on here believe, there is a higher velocity loss per inch of barrel once you get to a certain point. Below 20" on a 6.5 CM is where it really starts picking up but 18" isn't bad, 16" is slow AF and I've had cut rifled 16" 6.5's and even they were still slow. Also if you're comparing velocity from the typical Tikka barrel on here, they're slow barrels too whereas DTA barrels are not. A better barrel and 18" vs 16" can easily equal a huge difference. The logic on here will have you thinking you can cut a 24" barrel with a 2700fps load down to 1" and only lose 600fps but that's not at all how that shit works.
Maybe so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m not unhappy with my velocity(2620) as it’s slightly better than what I was expecting when calculating 25-30fps per inch loss from sierras load data with my bullet and powder/charge in a 24” (2800)

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR

If you look at the data that is out there on rifleshooter and ballistics by the inch. There isn’t anything that supports significant differences in velocity loss between similar rifle cartridges of different calibers (eg 308 vs 6.5 cm) or supporting anything other than a linear trend in loss between 26” and 16”.

Here are some examples:

The data does have significant shortcomings. They are shooting 5-round strings at each length which establishes a trend but does not allow for direct comparisons of individual barrel lengths.
But the take home appears to be that there is no magic caliber or barrel length, or combination thereof. If you shorten the barrel on one of your centerfire rifles, expect to lose a somewhere around 20-30 fps per inch for a given load. And it doesn’t matter what caliber it is.

This isn't the point of this thread, but on this topic of barrel length vs velocity, there is a point at which you can cut your barrel down where the powder is not getting a full burn and the velocity is dropping off at an exponential rate. This is typically not seen on standard calibers because people aren't cutting to SBR lengths, but it is more of an issue with magnums, particularly the long, slender case old designs. New case geometry with short, fat cases and steeper necks have several benefits over the old long, skinny cases - for instance you can run a shorter barrel on a 300WSM than on a 300winmag before you run into exponential velocity loss, at least (or particularly) with factory ammo. Magnums will tend to see that exponential velocity loss at lengths longer than SBR barrels so people do run into that issue sometimes.

If someone cut their 6.5 creedmoor down to 12", they'd see a drastic change in velocity that is not linear.

Is there?

6.5-CM.jpg

6.5-CM-2.jpg

Last edited:
shooting G9 Defense 113g Long Range Hunter ammunition
Im really interested in these. How do you like these compared to the barnes so far? I'm assuming this is your first season with them, so hoping you can add some more to the thread as the season rolls along. Nice sheep!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
This isn't the point of this thread, but on this topic of barrel length vs velocity, there is a point at which you can cut your barrel down where the powder is not getting a full burn and the velocity is dropping off at an exponential rate. This is typically not seen on standard calibers because people aren't cutting to SBR lengths, but it is more of an issue with magnums, particularly the long, slender case old designs. New case geometry with short, fat cases and steeper necks have several benefits over the old long, skinny cases - for instance you can run a shorter barrel on a 300WSM than on a 300winmag before you run into exponential velocity loss,

That’s a myth. There is nothing magical about the 300wsm over a 300wm in barrel. I have used multiples of each shorter than is being discussed.

If someone cut their 6.5 creedmoor down to 12", they'd see a drastic change in velocity that is not linear.

Actually, again no. I use 12.5” barreled 6.5CM’s. The 20-30fps per inch of barrel holds true to at least 12.5”.

That’s a myth. There is nothing magical about the 300wsm over a 300wm in barrel. I have used multiples of each shorter than is being discussed.

Actually, again no. I use 12.5” barreled 6.5CM’s. The 20-30fps per inch of barrel holds true to at least 12.5”.
Particularly in factory loads, yes, the velocity will experience a sharp drop at a certain point based on powder and bullet. Different cartridges experience barrel lengths at which point velocity loss becomes exponential. A .223 can lose 25fps per inch down to about 16-12” or so, varying by the load. Below this, velocity loss per inch becomes a steep change. I’m quoting the same reference as has been shared before, and unfortunately they only have factory loads to show data with, and not hand loads that buck the trend better.

Factory magnum ammos can have pretty slow burning powder and lose a lot of velocity at barrel lengths that standard cartridges won’t.

Most people have no want to go that short on a gun though. I am offering a point of clarity, and not trying to argue on the general use case people will have.

Last edited: