6.5 Creedmoor/260 for Deer, Elk, and whatever else.....

Duh

WKR
I’m a big fan of the 143 eldx in the 6.5 creed and have shot piles of antelope, deer, and elk for years. Prior to this year, my furthest kill has been 440ish yards on a big bull elk. Bullet performed awesome and I’ve been sold ever since. Using factory ammo until this year when I got into reloading.

I’ve shot pretty well out to 1200 yards with my hand loads now. Set up is a 24 inch Howa 1500 in a XLR chassis, Arken EPL 5 in MOA, with a banish 30 suppressor. The load is 143eldx, Lapua LRP, Winchester LRP, IMR 4350 going 2735FPS.

We’ll long story short I shot an antelope buck at 975 yards this year. He was slightly quartered to and I hit him right behind the shoulder, he dropped immediately but got back up right away, took a few steps before tipping over. He died in about 10 seconds after being shot.

Upon gutting him, the onside lung had decent damage (nothing significant), the liver was tore completely apart as well as a kidney. I couldn’t find the exit hole but found the bullet in the offside hind quarter while butchering. Heres a few pics of the bullet I recoverd. I’m not surprised at that distance but based on the internal damage to lungs and liver, I’d say the bullet still did damage (just not what I’ve usually seen from the ELDX). The impact velocity would have been 1667FPS with about 883FT-LBs.

I understand the bullet didn’t frag, mushroom, open up and some might consider it a failure. Just posting my experience. I wish I would have taken pictures of the lungs and liver but I forgot in the moment. In all honesty, it wasn’t devastating but it wasn’t minimal either.

Attachments

• IMG_6294.jpeg
    IMG_6294.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_6295.jpeg
    IMG_6295.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 278

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of the 143 eldx in the 6.5 creed and have shot piles of antelope, deer, and elk for years. Prior to this year, my furthest kill has been 440ish yards on a big bull elk. Bullet performed awesome and I’ve been sold ever since. Using factory ammo until this year when I got into reloading.

I’ve shot pretty well out to 1200 yards with my hand loads now. Set up is a 24 inch Howa 1500 in a XLR chassis, Arken EPL 5 in MOA, with a banish 30 suppressor. The load is 143eldx, Lapua LRP, Winchester LRP, IMR 4350 going 2735FPS.

We’ll long story short I shot an antelope buck at 975 yards this year. He was slightly quartered to and I hit him right behind the shoulder, he dropped immediately but got back up right away, took a few steps before tipping over. He died in about 10 seconds after being shot.

Upon gutting him, the onside lung had decent damage (nothing significant), the liver was tore completely apart as well as a kidney. I couldn’t find the exit hole but found the bullet in the offside hind quarter while butchering. Heres a few pics of the bullet I recoverd. I’m not surprised at that distance but based on the internal damage to lungs and liver, I’d say the bullet still did damage (just not what I’ve usually seen from the ELDX). The impact velocity would have been 1667FPS with about 883FT-LBs.

I understand the bullet didn’t frag, mushroom, open up and some might consider it a failure. Just posting my experience. I wish I would have taken pictures of the lungs and liver but I forgot in the moment. In all honesty, it wasn’t devastating but it wasn’t minimal either.
Great data point to show the real world extrme low for that bullet. I'm happy you got your antelope and he went down hard. Great shot!
That's my go to bullet as well, and after seeing that I will definitely keep it north of 1,700 or maybe even 1,800 fps.

amassi

WKR

I’ve seen a few of those too, although the nose was much more bent over. After reviewing the wound channel it appears due to the range the bullet entered at a very high sharp angle which caused the nose cavity to fold over. All of the ones I’ve seen do that tumbled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duh

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you for sharing this, it is so interesting to see an intact bullet that’s been fired and recovered. I never realized how deep the rifling grooves become. Also neat to see how the tip bent on impact.

Duh

WKR
I’ve seen a few of those too, although the nose was much more bent over. After reviewing the wound channel it appears due to the range the bullet entered at a very high sharp angle which caused the nose cavity to fold over. All of the ones I’ve seen do that tumbled

I don’t doubt this one didn’t tumble. It

I don’t doubt that this bullet tumbled based on the wounds to the lungs and liver. It must have hit nose first into the hindquarter because I couldn’t find significant damage to the meat. The bullet sort of pin holed straight into the meat right in front of the bone.

There was no blood shot meat anywhere.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Antelope hunt turned into an elk hunt.

Bull elk 688 yards

140 eldm @2760 muzzle velocity. Bullet passed through ribs on both sides and stuck in offside hide. By the time I racked another round and was ready to shoot he was already kicking on the ground. Maybe 5 seconds?

Attachments

• IMG_8928.jpeg
    IMG_8928.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_8927.jpeg
    IMG_8927.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 199

TX_Diver

WKR
Is there any compelling reason to use the 130TMK over the 140 Elite Hunter or the 143 ELD-X? I have roughly the same amount of H4350 and Varget.

I am getting roughly 2600 fps with the 140 Elite Hunters and 143 ELD-X out of my 19.25" t3x lite barrel. That hits 1800 fps at 600 yards (at 1k in elevation) which is far...

I can't help but wonder if I'd be able to push the 130s faster and farther though...

SouthPaw

WKR
Is there any compelling reason to use the 130TMK over the 140 Elite Hunter or the 143 ELD-X? I have roughly the same amount of H4350 and Varget.

I am getting roughly 2600 fps with the 140 Elite Hunters and 143 ELD-X out of my 19.25" t3x lite barrel. That hits 1800 fps at 600 yards (at 1k in elevation) which is far...

I can't help but wonder if I'd be able to push the 130s faster and farther though...

130s will have a smidge less recoil, too. Varget should get you to 2750ish with the TMK.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
My calculator shows I hit 1800 fps at 600 still so it seems like the extra velocity doesn't gain me much?

I personally think the TMK are better terminally than the Elite Hunters, but I'd happily hunt with either. Not big sample sizes with either, though, and all my experience has been at pretty moderate ranges. I've never used ELD-X.

Worth noting that there is a nice BC bump with the 140s.

If all three are available, and I'm starting from scratch, I'm buying TMK.

SouthPaw

WKR
My calculator shows I hit 1800 fps at 600 still so it seems like the extra velocity doesn't gain me much?
Having experienced low velocity impacts with both Bergers and the 130 TMK, I'd trust the TMK's wound profile more than the Bergers below 2k fps. At lower speeds upset is still immediate with the TMKs, delayed with the Bergers.

Igloo

FNG
Form et al,

Since it rare that i shoot big game past 200-250 meters would I be correct in saying that a 6.5 Grendel starting a 130 TMK at about 2400-2500 fps or so (20" bolt gun) would be WELL within the wheelhouse of some of the longer shots you guys are making with them from a 6.5 CM or similar? Or is there more to it than I am getting?
Cause those wounds even at decent ranges look way better than some I am seeing from larger caliber cup and core etc.

At face value would not feel undergunned at all if a 130gr TMK from the Grendel hits a moose at 2200-2000 fps. Or again, am I missing something important?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form et al,

Since it rare that i shoot big game past 200-250 meters would I be correct in saying that a 6.5 Grendel starting a 130 TMK at about 2400-2500 fps or so (20" bolt gun) would be WELL within the wheelhouse of some of the longer shots you guys are making with them from a 6.5 CM or similar? Or is there more to it than I am getting?
Cause those wounds even at decent ranges look way better than some I am seeing from larger caliber cup and core etc.

At face value would not feel undergunned at all if a 130gr TMK from the Grendel hits a moose at 2200-2000 fps. Or again, am I missing something important?

Bullet and impact velocity. It does not matter if the bullet starts out of a 26 Nosler, 6.5 PRC, 6.5CM, or 6.5 Grendel- if it impacts from each at 1937 fps the results are identical.

So yes, it works great out of a Grendel.

Igloo

FNG
Bullet and impact velocity. It does not matter if the bullet starts out of a 26 Nosler, 6.5 PRC, 6.5CM, or 6.5 Grendel- if it impacts from each at 1937 fps the results are identical.

So yes, it works great out of a Grendel.
Thank you.

Happy to hear it offers legitimate moose options.

TX_Diver

WKR
I personally think the TMK are better terminally than the Elite Hunters, but I'd happily hunt with either. Not big sample sizes with either, though, and all my experience has been at pretty moderate ranges. I've never used ELD-X.

Worth noting that there is a nice BC bump with the 140s.

If all three are available, and I'm starting from scratch, I'm buying TMK.

C'mon man. I was just thinking I wouldn't need to buy any of the TMKs 🤣

@Formidilosus From a 6.5CM any preference for a TMK w/ Varget (or another powder) over a 140 berger elite hunter of 143 ELD-X over H4350? The 140s MV are about 2600. Not sure what I'd get out of the 130s. 19.25" barrel.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
C'mon man. I was just thinking I wouldn't need to buy any of the TMKs 🤣

@Formidilosus From a 6.5CM any preference for a TMK w/ Varget (or another powder) over a 140 berger elite hunter of 143 ELD-X over H4350? The 140s MV are about 2600. Not sure what I'd get out of the 130s. 19.25" barrel.

I prefer the TMK wound profile slightly over the 143gr ELD-X, and I prefer both over Bergers. The 130gr recoul just a touch less than 140+, which is also good.
I prefer the bullet to start upsetting immediately (TMK/ELD-M/X) versus delayed upset of Bergers. There is nothing really wrong with Bergers- they kill well, just a preference.

Where the TMK differs from the ELD-X and M is that it has a slightly thicker jacket which slightly helps penetration, yet also has a markedly larger tip and nose opening which helps lower velocity impacts. Having said that, the 143gr ELD-X is probably the best all around mass available 6.5mm bullet on the market.

Last edited:
I prefer the TMK wound profile slightly over the 143gr ELD-X, and I prefer both over Bergers. The 130gr recoul just a touch less than 140+, which is also good.
I prefer the bullet to start upsetting immediately (TMK/ELD-M/X) versus delayed upset of Bergers. There is nothing really wrong with Bergers- they kill well, just a preference.

Where the TMK differs from the ELD-X and M is that it has a slightly thicker jacket which slightly helps penetration, yet also has a markedly larger tip and nose opening which helps lower velocity impacts. Having said that, the 143gr ELD-C is probably the best all around mass available 6.5mm bullet on the market.
How many people did you just send on a wild google-chase looking for ELD-C bullets?