45 ACP Large Mammal Defense Round

OP
K

kingsfoil

FNG
From CDFW: The regulations do not prohibit the possession of concealable firearms containing lead ammunition, provided the firearm is possessed for personal protection and is not used to take or assist in the take of wildlife. With the exception of ammunition for concealable firearms possessed for personal protection, hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition.

I guess my reading of the law was incorrect the first time!

Good to know.

I carry Federal HST 230gr +p in my 45. I figure it will work just fine on most anything I may ever come in contact with.

OP
K

kingsfoil

FNG
Get a KKM barrel, a 23 lb. spring and shoot .45 Super , 255 gr. BB hardcast.
This looks good. Not too pricey either. $165 for the barrel. BB says other modifications are needed:

45 Super is externally/dimensionally identical to 45 ACP or 45 ACP +P and is designed to be used in 45 ACP Semi-Auto pistols that have been modified with a stronger than normal recoil spring and a shock buffer, plus a few other modifications. While you can shoot 45 Super out of some stock 45 ACP +P pistols such as the Glock 21, HK USP, or the full-sized all steel 1911, it can cause excess wear and tear on the firearm if you do not have them modified to handle the extra pressure and slide velocity of the 45 Super.
I have a G21 (Gen 3). Any advice on where to find out the other modifications? Could just ask BB or a gunsmith I suppose.

Edit: I am going to guess that all I need is the barrel and spring, but correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
This looks good. Not too pricey either. $165 for the barrel. BB says other modifications are needed:

I have a G21 (Gen 3). Any advice on where to find out the other modifications? Could just ask BB or a gunsmith I suppose.

Edit: I am going to guess that all I need is the barrel and spring, but correct me if I am wrong.
I have a 30SF with a 23lb spring, shooting BB 255 gr. hardcast, works flawlessly.
The KKM barrel is noticeably more accurate IMO.