What I learned my first Kodiak blacktail hunt

neverenuf

FNG
Excellent write up. Very much appreciated. I lived/worked in Sitka and surrounding areas 25 years ago for the BLM. Planning on going back this fall taking my wife for a blacktail hunt, your article and insight was a good reminder of the conditions that can be encountered. Expedition type gear wasn't as good back then as it is now! Polypro, SealSkins, Caulk boots and ripstop was the name of the game!

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks, and good luck on your hunt. I'll be back in 2024.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I saw that too, I thought it was the whole island but I hope I’m wrong. I likely won’t shoot more than one buck but I’d like to be able to shoot a nice buck and continue hunting for a really big one.

I love to fish but I’m not a duck hunter to fill out the extra days if I tag out early. It’s Alaska, I will love my time there no matter what. I might take a smaller rifle and try for a nice fox if I get a buck early. I will have plenty of spare weight allowance on a boat hunt.

dphunts

FNG
I saw that too, I thought it was the whole island but I hope I’m wrong. I likely won’t shoot more than one buck but I’d like to be able to shoot a nice buck and continue hunting for a really big one.

I love to fish but I’m not a duck hunter to fill out the extra days if I tag out early. It’s Alaska, I will love my time there no matter what. I might take a smaller rifle and try for a nice fox if I get a buck early. I will have plenty of spare weight allowance on a boat hunt.
I had the same thought as you, one buck then maybe hold out for a bomber. it's going to be a great hunt regardless. I've never been to the island but I'm certainly getting excited. Good luck!

@Chumsnagger where are you getting that info? I read the regs yesterday. Maybe they had a bad winter and had already printed the regs?
That is from the AK board of Game meeting several weeks ago. There is another thread about this titled Kodiak deer limit change that explains.

Kodiak deer became the internet deer destination recently.

july 1st is when the new regs will come out with any changes after were accepted during the board of game meeting where residents can submit proposals for new regs. What proposals passed the BOG have a good chance of having a regulation change on July 1st.

dphunts

FNG
july 1st is when the new regs will come out with any changes after were accepted during the board of game meeting where residents can submit proposals for new regs. What proposals passed the BOG have a good chance of having a regulation change on July 1st.
That is from the AK board of Game meeting several weeks ago. There is another thread about this titled Kodiak deer limit change that explains.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Interesting. Thanks for the info

Great article. Not a lot of fluff and drama. Getting ready for our Kodiak bear hunt this year in late October/early November, which will include deer as well. I will be referring back to your article and posts often.

dphunts

FNG
If you have hunted Kodiak or plan on it, this limit change is really going to change things up. As mentioned above, non-residents will only be allowed 1 deer on Kodiak. You have a short window of opportunity to send a letter to Alaska Fish and Game board. Here are all of the board members email addresses.

Jerry Burnett - Chairman [email protected]
Stosh Hoffman [email protected]
Al Barrette [email protected]
Lynn Keogh [email protected]
Jake Fletcher [email protected]
James Cooney [email protected]
Ruth Cusack [email protected]

Keep it short and polite, but by all means, please voice your opinioin!

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the good info, always good to see another organized/detailed group's thoughts and approach to hunt logistics/gear for ideas on tweaks and improvements to my own.

Oct/Nov 2022 certainly was a little more relentless than usual weather wise on the rock (which is saying something). Pilots did an amazing job keeping things moving safely and doing what they could when they could. Most hunters it seems in early November lost 3-5 days of planned hunt time or changed their plans for going back to Anchorage to get more time out there. Also doesn't hurt to have the various local hotels front desk number at the ready when you think you're going home and everybody finds out all at once that nobody is leaving town that day (unplanned Kodiak hotel life hack: - check for bed bugs first thing before even packing a bag into the hotel room).

Antares

WKR
If you have hunted Kodiak or plan on it, this limit change is really going to change things up. As mentioned above, non-residents will only be allowed 1 deer on Kodiak. You have a short window of opportunity to send a letter to Alaska Fish and Game board. Here are all of the board members email addresses.

Jerry Burnett - Chairman [email protected]
Stosh Hoffman [email protected]
Al Barrette [email protected]
Lynn Keogh [email protected]
Jake Fletcher [email protected]
James Cooney [email protected]
Ruth Cusack [email protected]

Keep it short and polite, but by all means, please voice your opinioin!

Engaging in the Board of Game process is a much more effective way of expressing your opinion than just complaining after the fact.

dphunts

FNG
Just returned from my Kodiak trip. What an amazing place! If you are on the fence due to the reduction in deer tags for NR, jump off and go! We were blessed with amazing weather, but what comes with good weather is the bucks are HIGH. Every buck we killed was at or near the top of the 1500 to 2000' peaks. Due to an injury this summer, I was unable to get in the shape that I had hoped prior to the hunt. I know the deer drop down as the snow starts accumulating, but it is tough terrain to walk in.

The originator of this thread has some great info. Pay attention :)

Good luck to all that are heading up there this fall!