300 wsm build for european games, selective hunting in Italy

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone. Until now i had a very prolific career hunting with a .308 here in Italy. That rifle, a bergara b14 with a 2-10x50i khales scope with a standard german IV type reticle, is intended to be used inside 250 yards and i built it in order to be as simple as possible, no need to worry about anything at that distances: from 200 yards below just point, shoot and the animal dies. I am currently using 170 gr geco teilmantel ammo (softpoint basically), which my gun shoots extremely well (0.3-0.4 MOA all day in range conditions). Now i want to try to reach a couple hundred meters further so i am looking at a tikka t3x lite in 300 WSM (but i am open to other calibers suggestions). I am still a bit undecided between a 300 wsm and a 7 rem mag but the possibility to have a shorter action and barrel, better barrel life and the fact that i like 30 cals make me lean towards the 300 wsm, despite the heavier recoil (luckily it seems that i just don't develope a flinch when i shoot, maybe until now ahah). And i would use a muzzlebrake anyway. So i wanna know what you think of this setup before starting buying stuff. Consider that i will hunt mainly roe deer (50 lbs), fellow deer (up to 240 lbs), wild boars (up to 380-400 lbs) and hunts outside my country are possible in the future (but this is not central in my choice now). Ranges would be from 10 to 450 meters (500 yards more or less) on average probably around 300 yards. I don't like the idea to shoot further because of the many variables that come into play and are more difficult to face at distances past 500 yards). I do both stalking and still hunting, depending on the circumstances (50-50 i'd say). So:

-rifle: tikka t3x lite 300 wsm with 4-16 s&b scope (FFP, MIL reticle, uncapped turret for elevation, capped for windage and parallax adjustments) in a PSE composite e-lite stock with a bipod (still have to decide which one), sling and a muzzlebrake. Overall weight will be around 9.5-10 lbs.. a bit on the heavy side but i am young and in good phisical shape and a bit of weight will help with the actual shooting.
-ammo: 180 gr accubonds, so maybe the small roe deer wouldn't explode at closer ranges.

My main questions are:
What do you think of this setup? What would you change?
What about the bullet? How would a 180 gr accubond perform on a small roe deer (50 lbs) at 50 meters and 400 meters? And what about a big 400 lbs wild boar at the same distances?
What about the scope?
What about the muzzlebrake? I have always shot without ear protections while hunting but whit that artillery piece i would do it. Any downside other than that and other than increasing weight and bulk of the rifle?

Thanks guys and greetings from italy (a couple pics for entertainment)

Attachments

• 20230111_075429.jpg
    20230111_075429.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230216_165404.jpg
    20230216_165404.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 20230226_164928.jpg
    20230226_164928.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 91

KenLee

WKR
It won't have a short action receiver. Tikka doesn't make one. The barrel is also longer than many.

Last edited:
OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Uh, won't have a short action receiver. Tikka doesn't make one. The barrel is also longer than many.
What do you mean with the second statement? The t3x lite in 300 wsm has a 24 inch barrel roughly.

And what you mean by saying tikka doesn’t make short action receivers? I guess a 223 or 308 receiver on a tikka is not the same size than a 3006 one, am i wrong?

KenLee

WKR
What do you mean with the second statement? The t3x lite in 300 wsm has a 24 inch barrel roughly.
All my factory 300wsm barrels are 23 or 22 inches long. You mention you want a shorter 300wsm. I do too. Tikka wouldn't be the 300wsm rifle for me.

KenLee

WKR

And what you mean by saying tikka doesn’t make short action receivers? I guess a 223 or 308 receiver on a tikka is not the same size than a 3006 one, am i wrong?
All same receiver length.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
0.7 inch on receiver 2.3 inches on barrel.
Having a long action receiver also restricts many of the scope and mounting options I prefer.

Barrels are meant to be cut.

Defends on how you measure the action. They’re all different designs, but with multiple different makes/models it in shorts actions I get somewhere between .25 and .55 inch difference between the T3 and the SA’s on hand. Regardless, the width of a pinky finger seems a bit silly to get hung up on. If that makes a difference how do you or anyone deal with a 223 or similar on SA’s?

BjornF16

WKR
Don't need a magnum for 500 yards. I would choose one of: 6XC, .243 Win, 7mm-08, 7x64, 7x57

What about the bullet? How would a 180 gr accubond perform on a small roe deer (50 lbs) at 50 meters and 400 meters? And what about a big 400 lbs wild boar at the same distances?
ELD-M or ELD-X bullets will work. I've killed boars with 90 gr TNT out of a 6.5 Grendel short barrel with good effects.

What about the scope?

10x scope would be plenty for 500 yards

What about the muzzlebrake? I have always shot without ear protections while hunting but whit that artillery piece i would do it. Any downside other than that and other than increasing weight and bulk of the rifle?

Nothing wrong with muzzle brake; but I would wear ear protection when shooting

Taudisio

WKR
My main questions are:
What about the scope?
I think it’s great if you want a new gun.
Your 308 will do what you described.
The Accubond may be a bit tough for a little deer so make sure you plan for a pass through. Good bullet for the boars. No experience with the scope-heard positive things about them. From what you described, I would not want it to have a brake for hunting without hearing protection, I’ve done it and it makes it way worse.

I am never one to discourage buying a new rifle, but I would have confidence in your 308 doing what you described. The wsm will add some umph behind it.

KenLee

WKR
Barrels are meant to be cut.

Defends on how you measure the action. They’re all different designs, but with multiple different makes/models it in shorts actions I get somewhere between .25 and .55 inch difference between the T3 and the SA’s on hand. Regardless, the width of a pinky finger seems a bit silly to get hung up on. If that makes a difference how do you or anyone deal with a 223 or similar on SA’s?
I don't fool with a 223 bolt action. Safe full of 22-250s from way back.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
All same receiver length.
I see, thanks for the info! So what rifle would you pick? I mean, i love brands like remington and winchester but their quality seems not to good these days and bergaras are awesome but they are a bit heavy considering all the stuff i wanna put on this rig. With a tikka would be already around 10 pounds which is ideal for me but I wouldn't want to be much more. Oh and I hate blaser and sako new designs

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Don't need a magnum for 500 yards. I would choose one of: 6XC, .243 Win, 7mm-08, 7x64, 7x57

ELD-M or ELD-X bullets will work. I've killed boars with 90 gr TNT out of a 6.5 Grendel short barrel with good effects.

10x scope would be plenty for 500 yards

Nothing wrong with muzzle brake; but I would wear ear protection when shooting
Mh i prefer a bit more magnification, it can be handy also for understanding age and gender of games even if I have a spotting scope. And for 500 yards on a small roe deer 10x is not enough in my opinion..

I don't stricly need a magnum but those cartridges are a bit anemic at distance. And i thought a magnum is generally more versatile if i wanna increase range a little bit or go for red deer sometimes.. but yeah, 7x64 is an option.

Couldn't Eld-x be a bit too much esplosive at close ranges on a small roe deer?

Thanks!

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s great if you want a new gun.
Your 308 will do what you described.
The Accubond may be a bit tough for a little deer so make sure you plan for a pass through. Good bullet for the boars. No experience with the scope-heard positive things about them. From what you described, I would not want it to have a brake for hunting without hearing protection, I’ve done it and it makes it way worse.

I am never one to discourage buying a new rifle, but I would have confidence in your 308 doing what you described. The wsm will add some umph behind it.
You are right but i like the idea of my 308 as it is now. Compact, relatively light, simple, no bdc or ballistic turrets, point and shoot up to 200 yards. But with strong wind i have seen the deficiencies of the caliber and i prefer more velocity. I am sure 308 is enough for shots up to 500 yards but it's not ideal. Inside 200 m it's the best caliber around in my opinion: cheap readily available everywhere, accurate, low recoil, great stopping power.. but for longer shots i prefer something else. A magnum will have much more energy at 500 yards and this is never bad, with a muzzlebrake recoil will be comparable with the one of my 308. I will have to put ear protection before every shot and i don't like the idea but I will do it.

Taudisio

WKR
Couldn't Eld-x be a bit too much esplosive at close ranges on a small roe deer?

No, it should crush them. Try a 150-165gr Hornady sst in your 308 and it should give you similar results. Shoot them in the ribs.

Taudisio

WKR
You are right but i like the idea of my 308 as it is now. Compact, relatively light, simple, no bdc or ballistic turrets, point and shoot up to 200 yards. But with strong wind i have seen the deficiencies of the caliber and i prefer more velocity. I am sure 308 is enough for shots up to 500 yards but it's not ideal. Inside 200 m it's the best caliber around in my opinion: cheap readily available everywhere, accurate, low recoil, great stopping power.. but for longer shots i prefer something else. A magnum will have much more energy at 500 yards and this is never bad, with a muzzlebrake recoil will be comparable with the one of my 308. I will have to put ear protection before every shot and i don't like the idea but I will do it.
The 6.5 prc will check all of your boxes (then some) and give you similar recoil to your 308.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 prc will check all of your boxes (then some) and give you similar recoil to your 308.
I know, that's a great option too but laws here force me to use 7 mm and above, in exception for 270 win.. what a nonsense

gerry35

WKR
I know, that's a great option too but laws here force me to use 7 mm and above, in exception for 270 win.. what a nonsense
Nothing wrong with the 300 WSM but what about the 7x64? It is chambered in the Tikka and from my days guiding European hunters here they said it's pretty popular over there.