.25 Cal (Quarter Bore) / Big Game Success - 25 Creed, 25-284, 25-06, 25 PRC, 25 SAUM

Anybody been able to get 3,000 MV with the 134 or 135 in an 18" barrel? If so, I'd love to hear about the cartridge and load. My daughters 18" 7-08 is the ideal length IMO to run suppressed in a hunting rifle, and eventually I want to build a .25 that can run close to 3,000 at this length as well.

NVM- I just found the other thread with @sportsmans challenge results with his 22" 25/7 PRC. Subtract 100 FPS for the 18" barrel and a guy should be able to get 3,000 fairly easily.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
For the 25 SAUM are you just necking down 6.5 SAUM brass?

For the 25 MAX are you fireforming the 25 SAUM brass?

Thank you in advance for your patience with all my questions.
Like Sportsman Challenge I'm necking down ADG 6.5 SAUM for my 25 SAUM one pass .284 bushing. It's about as easy as it gets.

Isn't the 25 Max a straight SAUM improved with 40° shoulder, it doesn't have the shoulder pushed back to increase neck length or anything like that correct?

The SAUM case, like most short fat cases, is already relatively straight so I can't imagine you gain much case capacity but a 40° does hide pressure better so maybe that's where the increased velocity comes from.

Piercision Rifles

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
For the 25 SAUM are you just necking down 6.5 SAUM brass?

For the 25 MAX are you fireforming the 25 SAUM brass?

Thank you in advance for your patience with all my questions.
No worries. For the 25 saum Im just using a bushing with the 6.5 saum brass and necking it down. For the max Im necking it down from 7 max and will be neck turning it. Necking down that much will make the necks a bit thicker and I want to get them uniform. A guy could use regular saum brass and form it out though. I just want something that says max on the base so i don't get em confused.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
My son shot a whitetail doe with his .257 Weatherby Mag. The rifle is an out of box vanguard with a 26” barrel topped with a vx3 3.5-10 leupold. The load:
95G hammer hunter tipped
68.5G IMR4350.
CCI 250 primer
Weatherby Brass
Without a chronograph velocity is just an estimate (3500ish? at the muzzle probably). The shot was 288 yards.

The deer was quartering to us pretty hard. There was a 3/8” hole in the hide on entry. The flesh just under the hide, the rear part of the shoulder meat, had a hole that looked almost like a lot of exit holes (sorry didn’t get a picture of this). The bullet entered the left side of her rib cage dead center vertically between the 6th and 7th rib. Where the bullet entered the rib cage, rib 4 was broken in one place, ribs 5 and 6 were completely smashed and splintered 2” above and below the rib cage hole, rib 7 was intact. The hole in the rib cage was around 7/8” wide and about 1 1/4” tall. There was a good sized hole through one of the lungs, probably 2”x4”. At that point through the liver area into the stomach it became hard to follow the wound channel as it was reduced to .257 very quickly. After leaving the body cavity the bullet went into the right hind quarter, leaving a .257 diameter hole becoming lodged on the skin. Other than the nice hole in one lung, the other lung and other major organs seemed heavily bruised but intact with minimal internal bleeding. One other item of note, there seemed to have been a large amount of pressure inside the body cavity, we found grass and stomach matter pushed back through the entry wound and layers of meat in the front shoulder and rib cage, it was a real mess between the hide and rib cage on the entry side.

On the shot the deer launched forward into 6’ tall grass and disappeared. For the penetration, energy, and knock down power disciples this should have been a lights off switch, it wasn’t. The bullet penetrated roughly 36 inches. 20 minutes after the shot we found the animal 30 yards away, alive but unable to move as we were looking for blood. It took a finishing shot to the head neck junction.

It seems like the bullet shed its petals and did its work in the first 6”. This shot should have turned everything inside of the deer to slush but it did not. The wound looked like it was mostly severe bruising leaving the animal very uncomfortable but not dead as quickly as it should have. IMG_6953.jpegIMG_6957.jpegIMG_6968.jpegIMG_6970.jpegIMG_6958.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6969.jpeg
    IMG_6969.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 3