.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

PSA has 77 TMK back in stock. Picked up a 1000. Also 8 shot first 4 was zeroing it in with the 77. Second 4 was the grouping at 100. The 4 grouping was done under 20 seconds per shot. I would like to mention I had to rezero from 75 black tip to 77 TMK. Shooting out of a 20in wyde Ar-15. At 300 was sitting at 3 moa with a 3 shot grouping you see at the picture. I just point and aim didn't account for drop. I was impressed with ACC. I wasn't so much with 75 Sabre but could be me though, 300 yards with 10 mph NE winds shooting from the South. I'm not a good shooter but I was having trouble with Sabre as you can see. I was aiming at the bolt head.

Attachments

• IMG_20240929_160642599~2.jpg
    IMG_20240929_160642599~2.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240929_163643061_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240929_163643061_HDR.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240929_165556075_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240929_165556075_HDR~2.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 24
PSA has 77 TMK back in stock. Picked up a 1000. Also 8 shot first 4 was zeroing it in with the 77. Second 4 was the grouping at 100. The 4 grouping was done under 20 seconds per shot. I would like to mention I had to rezero from 75 black tip to 77 TMK. Shooting out of a 20in wyde Ar-15. At 300 was sitting at 3 moa with a 3 shot grouping you see at the picture. I just point and aim didn't account for drop. I was impressed with ACC. I wasn't so much with 75 Sabre but could be me though, 300 yards with 10 mph NE winds shooting from the South. I'm not a good shooter but I was having trouble with Sabre as you can see. I was aiming at the bolt head.
Are you all shooting the 556 in a 223 REM barrel?

Yes, this is what I got and that's the ammo I use.

77TMK

FNG

Late to th Cult of 77 TMk
Unfortunately they are using 77 SMK which is incredibly unreliable for fragmenting below even 2200 FPS. Past 200 yards from even an 18” barrel, it’s going to icepick often and almost certainly once past 300. Great target bullet, crappy at everything else. Mystified because it’s a tad better than the M855 junk it was paired with for military use.

MEwaters

FNG
@Formidilosus I believe mentioned AAC in the last FF on shoot2hunt
Are you able to help point me in that direction? I tried searching but only came across the “calling form out” thread. I bought 200 of 73 eldm to gear up for November but I would also like to continue reading on this subject. I see he has recommended 73 here and didn’t mention aac.
I bet AAC tmk would be a great option, just curious why 73 eldm was recommended to purchase vs sourcing AAC Tmk from a few members here in response to those questions.
Don’t mean to boggle up this thread with repeats

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Are you able to help point me in that direction? I tried searching but only came across the “calling form out” thread. I bought 200 of 73 eldm to gear up for November but I would also like to continue reading on this subject. I see he has recommended 73 here and didn’t mention aac.
I bet AAC tmk would be a great option, just curious why 73 eldm was recommended to purchase vs sourcing AAC Tmk from a few members here in response to those questions.
The hornady ELD-M is a great option but tends to be more readily available even at local shops. (Also more expensive...) both the ELD-M and TMK are great performers. TYPICALLY the ELD-M is mentioned when TMK is unavailable or if they need ammo in a couple of days or less due to wide spread availability.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Any factory round offering the TMK is generally more difficult to find. The Hornady Match 73grn ELD-M is pretty easy to find on almost any sporting good store shelf and is generally much cheaper. Most of us would be hard pressed to notice the difference in terminal performance between the two as we simply don't see enough animals killed with either of them in our life time of hunting. Both bullets work extremely well! Form has stated multiple times that if all you could get was 73's then shoot them without hesitation. The 73's really are an easy button!

Wish me luck, boys and girls, I’m heading to deer camp Thursday. Opening day here in Oregon for rifle deer is Saturday the 5th.

Gonna use the Tikka Varmint with 75 gr ELDM again this year.

Hope to A. Get a buck and B. Bigger than last year.

Flying solo for the first time in a loooong time. Kinda nice to be first shooter for the first time since 2013.

P
Good luck! I’ll be out in Oregon this coming week as well. Leaving tomorrow. I’ll be using something slightly larger though. Only because I don’t have a 223.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s on the shoot2hunt podcast Form Friday - FF.EP.18 “meat loss with match bullets?”

He talks about a few topics but in there he mentions suitable ammo for 223 practice and mentions AAC in their various offerings. While not a “go buy this ammo” it’s an off the shelf TMK offering that is half the cost of black hills. Will I still use BH as my primary - yes. But I’ll shoot just about anything 69 grain and up for practice. And if I really had to - I would practice with 55 grain.