.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

hunterjmj

WKR
Lotta good entertainment in this thread for sure!

I promise you’ll be thrilled with you he value a .223 brings to your riflemanship journey. You’ll shoot it exponentially more than any other centerfire rifle you own. Plus, with correct bullet selection, there is no compromise in terminal performance.
I have zero doubts about your setup. I've slowly built a rem 700 300wm over the years and I love that rifle. Killed many animals with it using the 215 Berger and I just know my rifle. That said, I'd love to add a .223 to the mix now that i've read this. Like many, I grew up being taught bigger is better even though I know better. I still love the 30 cals, magnums, etc. Calibers, bullets, reloading and all that is very fascinating to learn and will be a lifelong endeavor. I appreciate this thread and the things it's made me think about. Good stuff!

hunterjmj

WKR
hasn't been updated in 80 pages or so, but here's a summary of this thread with links to the posts about elk

Way cool. For whatever reason I always thought of a .223 as a coyote pickup packing gun. 🤯 Won't happen now but I'm definitely going to pick up a .223.

WKR
The 77gr TMK is the king for .224 caliber, the 130gr TMK is similar for the .264? Does this apply to 6.5 cm and something like the 6.5 PRC equally?

What's the bullet recommendation for situations where lead isn't allowed?

ElPollo

WKR
The 77gr TMK is the king for .224 caliber, the 130gr TMK is similar for the .264? Does this apply to 6.5 cm and something like the 6.5 PRC equally?

Yes on the 130 TMK.

On the nonlead, I have not personally used this one, but its what I would try if I had to go back to them.

atmat

WKR
maybe ya'll should ask for a poachers subforum. in the mean time, let's keep the conversations here centered on legal hunting methods.
Yeah I can’t believe it’s even a conversation. The general public is already skeptical of hunting and gun ownership without folks saying “hmm, but could we get away with it?”

JCMCUBIC

WKR

I've had good results on deer with the 62 TTSX and TSX in .223/.223AI. I much prefer the TTSX to the TSX. Those are the only non-lead I've used. After a fair bit of experience with them, I wouldn't leave lead for them unless legally required.

xsn10s

WKR
Hmm I came late to the show so I don't know all the details. I don't poach, and I don't hunt where there are lead restrictions. My guess is wildmills and solar plants kill far more than hunters using lead bullets. Now back to the original program. I want a bolt .223 lol.

The Guide

WKR
How many folks have been checked for lead bullets while hunting?

How do they check for that?
I imagine it would be similar to the way they check people waterfowl hunting for nontoxic shot. Can not have any lead projectiles on your person or in the firearm while in the field but it can be in your vehicle. Most approved nonlead bullets are pretty easy to spot. Might ask you see the ammo on your person or in the gun, ask you the brand/name of the bullet, and then see if it matches their profile type. Might need to show them the box. Not sure about handloads though.

Jay

i've seen non-toxic waterfowl loads checked with a magnet, but that was before TSS and bismuth were are prevalent.

lead-free bullets are pretty easily identifiable with a minimal amount of LE training.

hunterjmj

WKR
So this thread has got my wheels turning the last couple of days. The rifle I've been hunting with the last 6-7 years is a Rem 700 in 300WM. I put a Timney trigger in it, Seekins muzzle brake and a bedded McMillan game scout. My thought is a Remington 700 SA set up identical with exception of a brake. The only concern I would have is factory barrel twist. They look to be 1:12. To shoot those 77's or similar I'm guessing I'll need to be 1:9?