.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

hunterjmj

WKR
i'd go 7.5" twist iffn starting from scratch with a new barrel.
I have lots to learn. I'm thinking 22" barrel but I don't really know why other than that is what some of my other rifles have. Is there an optimal length. 😆 I don't plan on a suppressor either.

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
Rifles can definitely take you down a rabbit hole. I'll get with the gunsmith after hunting season and make a plan. If I buy an ADL just to take apart for the receiver I might be ahead just buying a receiver. 🤷‍♂️

hunterjmj

WKR
We have had decent luck with a couple of ADL's. Bedding and trigger work and they werent bad
My 300 was/is an SPS. Replaced stock with a bedded McMillan stock and a timney trigger and it's a shooter. I'm sure someone behind the trigger better than me could get better results.

BLJ

WKR
Rifles can definitely take you down a rabbit hole. I'll get with the gunsmith after hunting season and make a plan. If I buy an ADL just to take apart for the receiver I might be ahead just buying a receiver. 🤷‍♂️
I’d get an ADL Varmint, cut it to 20” and thread that.
If it don’t shoot, then get a barrel. IMO.

xsn10s

WKR
Website says every 700 has a Timney in it. Wonder if its a decent trigger or if it just has their name slapped on a POS?
I have a new Remarms 700 ADL 7mm RM with Timney trigger. It breaks at 3 lbs 12 ounces right out of the box. Fairly clean break, some times I feel a slight amount of creep. I'd say it's a decent trigger for a factory hunting rifle.

kkp005

WKR
Shot some of my guns the other day after getting some more trijicons and putting them on tikkas. My tikka 223 was by far the most pleasant and easiest gun to shoot.

Earlier in the week I walked up on some hogs wallering around at the edge of a pond. Got within 40 yards and shot the first sow square in the shoulder and dropped her. Shot another hog on the trot in the front half. Shooting 77gr tmk out of a 16” larue upper.

Never found the 2nd hog and didn’t see any blood. She ran in a thicket so I didn’t look to hard. I’ve had nothing but fantastic results with the 77gr tmk in both 223 and 22-250 but now I’m slightly hesitant to shoot it at animals near the edge of thick brush

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Look at alot of folks on here. If I didnt know better, I would think it was near impossible to kill something without a tikka, 6xswfa, and some tmk's.

Ask a question or say something slightly different and folks spaz out. Pretty sad to be honest
Do you have any idea how many deer I've killed with a Core Lokt out of a 700 with a Leupold duplex?!

More than one.

Critical thinking and the ability to question and have an open mind and figure out what works and why and how is liberating.