Mono Wound Channels vs Match Bullets

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
That cartridge hasn’t been invented yet.
The fastest I pushed mono’s was 3450 mv, 3400 impact velocity, and it was nowhere even close to the tissue damage that I get from an ELD m at 2200 impact velocity.

I am your people. I just realize your listing criteria out that won't result in "plotted lines crossing". I'm not really sure how it isn't clear that a bullet with bent petals and frontal area pushing through an animal will NEVER have the same effect on tissue as one that has fragmented and is cutting through tissue in tension due to the hydrostatic shock thus damaging more tissue in a pattern a petal peeling mono will never replicate.

This isn't bagging on monos, I hunt monos, I just accept what they are and how they perform and deploy them accordingly.

I suspect it might not be exactly where you guys have been looking.

Been doing more muzzy hunting in recent years, taken 7 animals in the range of 20 yards (1600ish FPS impact velocity) to 125 yards (1200ish FPS impact velocity) using an interesting bullet the federal bor lock. It’s copper with a sliding sealing skirt of sorts, but with what looks relief cuts in the bullet to facilitate disruption. At 20 yards it is a little too destructive for my taste, losing more rib meat than I like. At the end of it’s supersonic range (just before it goes transonic) it’s pretty great, caliber sized entrance and turns the lungs completely to liquid and jelly with very little meat damage. I also have recovered most of the bullets.

If you read my posts in this thread I have actually said nothing about monos, just talking about the bullets along the continuum of destructiveness of which mono’s lay. While I have hunted with monos, I don’t get religious attachment to bullet designs. I was just hoping labeling them projectile X and Y would help people.

Macintosh

WKR
No fragments=no large hole. As a theoretical excercise, sure, I'm certain you could accomplish the same thing (or effectively the same thing) with a solid mono...I just think no one would want to use one becasue it would knock the crap out of even the uber-manly "recoil doesnt affect me" crowd, it would be expensive, and since the existing options work so well already it would be functionally irrelevant. I've used some mono ML bullets that expand pretty wide at low velociy...but they still dont create such a big hole as a fragmenting 223, and they also recoil a heack of a lot more, have crappy BC,s, etc. What that says to me is that if you are looking for a large wound channel, regardless of what the bullet is made of, a bullet that stays together by design is probably not the best way to arrive at that result unless you enjoy having your fillings knocked out by recoil.

I also vehemently disagree with the poster who said rather categorically that monos suck and are a waste of time--to me that is simply false becasue it's easily proven that they kill reliably at ranges that most hunters shoot game at, and they have advantages that I prefer, ie less meat loss. Dont confuse "not for me" with "not for thee". I dont get shot opportunities in the open hardly ever, and not many to begin with, so its simply not possible to be so selective with shots as to not hit a shoulder some significant-enough % of the time. I strongly prefer to not waste the meat. If others have different priorities or situations, fine--but that in no way renders them a universal waste of time. not everyone WANTS a fist+ sized hole in their critters.

WaWox

FNG
Sometimes mono's can do unpredictable things. This is the front shoulder of a large bull elk and i already cut some pieces of destroyed meat off. The 139 gr lrx (500 yard shot) entered the bone, turned it into a grenade that destroyed 50% of everything above the shank, and then went into the lungs. Full expansion too, found the bullet in the opposite shoulder

Attachments

• 20241007_152209.jpg
    20241007_152209.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 2