.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
3 deer shot with 77 TMK last evening. 200, 230 and 250 yds. Tikka .223 and 2900 mv.

!st hit a little far back but exit angled through back of crease. It bolted 80 yards. Bullet was just under skin on opposite side.
2nd was tight behind shoulder. Did the .223 stagger and dropped within 5 yards. Bullet was pricking through the skin on opposite side ( base first-see pic).
3rd was smashed shoulder joint and bullet under off side skin. Bolted 10 yards. Its the projectile that shed its lead.
Hardly a drop of blood on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_9206.jpeg
    IMG_9206.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9232.jpeg
    IMG_9232.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9218.jpeg
    IMG_9218.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9199.jpeg
    IMG_9199.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9187.jpeg
    IMG_9187.jpeg
    717.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9209.jpeg
    IMG_9209.jpeg
    545.6 KB · Views: 108

ElPollo

WKR
Don't mean to clutter the thread but....
I'm desperate for a 223 tikka bolt. Shoot me a pm to keep it off this thread if u have one to sell. Just thought I might be targeting the right crowd 🙂
Eurooptic still has them on sale through the end of the year @ $799 for stainless and $699 for blued, plus a $75 rebate from Tikka. That’s as good a deal as you’ll find anywhere on a new one. I picked one up.

robtattoo

WKR
Eurooptic still has them on sale through the end of the year @ $799 for stainless and $699 for blued, plus a $75 rebate from Tikka. That’s as good a deal as you’ll find anywhere on a new one. I picked one up.
Yup, me too. I'm kinda wishing I'd gone stainless instead of blued, but I can cerakote it for less than the price difference.

I'm ditching my ought-six to cover the cost (hintetty-hint-hint.....)

BLJ

WKR
RAR in 5.56. 77 TMK @2562 MV. Impact was at around 65 yards which would put velocity around 2428.

EntranceIMG_2944.jpeg
Exit
IMG_2949.jpeg
Entrance on right. Exit on left
IMG_2947.jpeg
Heart and lungs.
IMG_2948.jpeg

This was my attempt at a high shoulder shot. I don’t think I was high enough. Arched her back and jumped at the shot. Ran approximately 40 yards.
Actually had some blood this time compared to the tight behind the shoulder/in the crease that I used last year, but still not a lot. But, she didn’t run very far either.
Based on my (2) kills with this bullet on deer, I’m going to stay behind the shoulder/in the crease.
I’m not complaining about it running 40 yards. But when I shot the last one behind the shoulder it ran about half of that distance after the shot. And the heart and lungs were both completely destroyed.

ElPollo

WKR
Yup, me too. I'm kinda wishing I'd gone stainless instead of blued, but I can cerakote it for less than the price difference.

I'm ditching my ought-six to cover the cost (hintetty-hint-hint.....)
I got the stainless one for the extra hundred bucks because I can’t have nice things for long. Like you I am selling a Tikka in 300 WSM to a friend to cover this one. I just don’t need the bigger gun anymore. I already have a 6x SWFA in Sportsmatch rings for the 223.

BLJ

WKR
“High shoulder” is at about 9:30, 2.5 to 3 inches from your shot.
I’ll admit that I was tip toeing into it. I hadn’t studied the shot placement enough to fully commit.
I’d really prefer for them to go down immediately if possible. And I’ve always understood that the high shoulder is the “off switch”. Maybe next year.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’ll admit that I was tip toeing into it. I hadn’t studied the shot placement enough to fully commit.
I’d really prefer for them to go down immediately if possible. And I’ve always understood that the high shoulder is the “off switch”. Maybe next year.

I generally prefer a bit farther forward, versus higher and forward

Here-
IMG_5332.jpeg

That flops them.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think @Moosehunter is looking for a Tikka .223 boltface. Not a 223 bolt gun.

Probably better to buy the whole t3x and pull the bolt out, sell off the rest.
That's the problem
Have the funds for the bolt and that's all I need. Ges I'll hafta dig deep
Those bolts are like gold🤦

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus. Do you still catch the top part of lungs with that shot placement?

Yes sir. The front half of them will be severely damaged. I prefer that slightly forward shot, because a “high shoulder” is about 2 inches from being over the spine and not entering the chest cavity at all. The forward placement I showed with the dot- if you hit it- it’s an instantaneous bang flip. A bit high, same, and bit forward- same as you catch the spine at the base of the neck. And a bit back is a solid lung shot.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
I generally prefer a bit farther forward, versus higher and forward

Here-
View attachment 648898

That flops them.

That’s exactly where I shoot deer too although I’m still using the larger rounds.

This is yet another example that proves to me that Form is the real deal. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else recommend shooting them that far forward. My Dad and Uncle told me years ago that a shot there took out their front running gear and the deer has a hard time running without front legs. This has been my experience with bang-flops over and over.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Eyeing my last tag and following this thread, I wanted to participate and see for myself what the fuss is all about. I switched barrels and bolts from 6.5 Creedmoor to 223 Remington and loaded some 77gr Sierra TMK bullets.

I loaded with 25.5 grains of Accurate 2520. I have some H4895 and IMR 8202 but I figured I'd start with the cheap and plentiful material.

The brass is 1.750, OAL is 2.660...

I was rushing to get in the stand so I confirmed zero but didn't set up the chronograph. I am zeroed for 73gr ELD-M and this load shot to the same point of impact so I'm thinking this load is around 2800fps. I'll come back and edit this when I chrono it.

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg

I tagged out with a 112 lb doe which is about as big as they get around here. The shot entered the other side of the deer than was photgraphed and did not exit. Impact occurred at 42.6 yards. The result was a bang-flop and the doe was dead right there. I think this would qualify as a high shoulder shot.

IMG_2231.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2244.jpgIMG_2243.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg