.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I just got her behind a pellet gun this summer, and recently added a 22 to the mix. So not anytime soon. My intentions with the Howa was to put it in an MDT Oryx youth chassis with an arca rail to be able to attach it to a tripod. The T3X compact is a great idea!! Funny you say that because I was actually thinking that the other morning driving to work, that a 223 compact would be a good rifle to move into in the future.
100% Tikka of choice for a young, new centerfire shooter.

Do you have a suppressor for her? If not, start the process now and make it your first priority.

The 62 and 64 bonded used on deer both had exits with 50 cent sized exit wounds. Easy blood trails but deer didn't run 20-30yds.

Below .223AI Barnes 62gr TTSX 2,947fps exit @ 120yds. 7pt buck ran about 60yds.

099937AA-221E-49A2-9023-94A48462AC3A.jpg

Entrance

E7C3C9D5-3A42-4DCA-911C-9D4DB3D137E0-15511-00000EEC045E5D1D.jpg

.223AI Barnes 53gr TSX 3,546fps shot about 60 yds exit.
2010-11-26_09-14-04_443.jpg

Entrance and exit through the ribcage.
Entrance on right exit left.
0EA42B08-80CD-43E5-A8D2-9D28570951D4.jpg

wyosam

WKR
Sure it would. Is there any 6mm stamped brass that a guy shooting 223 could neck down? Asking for a friend of course....

If you’re going to break the law just do it and deal with the consequences if they arise. Trying to hide it isn’t going to help you with any sort of leniency. The wardens I know would definitely cite you for that, in addition to anything else they could find. Expecting them to be stupid probably won’t end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re going to break the law just do it and deal with the consequences if they arise. Trying to hide it isn’t going to help you with any sort of leniency. The wardens I know would definitely cite you for that, in addition to anything else they could find. Expecting them to be stupid probably won’t end well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure most Conservation Officers/Game Wardens could immediately tell the difference between a .22CF and 6mm. For one, most of them have a broader knowledge of firearms that beat cops. Second, there's probably a good number of them on here reading about this little trick. It'll spread to his buddies and their buddies pretty quick. Third, this guy probably isn't the first person to come up with this idea. I like being able to buy a hunting license and tags every year. Not risking that for anything.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
good
I just got her behind a pellet gun this summer, and recently added a 22 to the mix. So not anytime soon. My intentions with the Howa was to put it in an MDT Oryx youth chassis with an arca rail to be able to attach it to a tripod. The T3X compact is a great idea!! Funny you say that because I was actually thinking that the other morning driving to work, that a 223 compact would be a good rifle to move into in the future.j in

I just got her behind a pellet gun this summer, and recently added a 22 to the mix. So not anytime soon. My intentions with the Howa was to put it in an MDT Oryx youth chassis with an arca rail to be able to attach it to a tripod. The T3X compact is a great idea!! Funny you say that because I was actually thinking that the other morning driving to work, that a 223 compact would be a good rifle to move into in the future.
PNWGATOR is spot on and a good dude with good advice.
I would add; search hunting rifle drill here on the forum and start practicing that with the kiddo. It’ll be helpful for both of you.

PA HUNTR

FNG
100% Tikka of choice for a young, new centerfire shooter.

Do you have a suppressor for her? If not, start the process now and make it your first priority.
Not yet. I have been looking around and researching different options. Never really considered one until recently with getting her into shooting.

PA HUNTR

FNG
good

PNWGATOR is spot on and a good dude with good advice.
I would add; search hunting rifle drill here on the forum and start practicing that with the kiddo. It’ll be helpful for both of you.
Appreciate the info. I’ll definitely look into that. Thank you.

Unclecroc

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using 22 cals on deer for several moons now. I’ve always had more varmint oriented rifles so I was limited to slow twist rifles mainly 1-12 and 1-14 twist.
I’ve had great success with a Sierra #1365 55 gameking soft point in 22-250 and 223. They don’t always exit but I haven’t seen any deer go far from the shot when using them.
This is a doe I shot with my favorite 22 cal deer load. This was a 22-250 1-12” twist 50 grain Barnes ttsx starting at the muzzle at 3850fps.
The shot was 180 yard tucked to the shoulder and she death ran for 8-10 seconds. Tremendous shock on the entrance side which is pictured.
The hammer offerings are also very good on deer and I’ve seen the 35gr kill way above its paygrade and it’s rated for 1-14” twist.
If you have a slow twist 22 don’t feel like you’re handicapped on deer there’s some great options out there to keep your favorite varmint rifle out in deer season too.
And yes I have read most posts in this thread, especially the ones with pictures lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 73

mt100gr.

WKR
Not yet. I have been looking around and researching different options. Never really considered one until recently with getting her into shooting.
I have 3 daughters, all quite petite. 2 that are old enough to hunt now. They started with BB guns and a savage Rascal, etc. Then the T1x....and .223s. My oldest hunted her first 2 years with an unsuppressed .223. She shot it well, but the bark was obviously a turn off. We'd mostly shoot the .22 thats an exact duplicate of the .223. Once I got our first suppressor it was night and day. On the .22 we laugh at how quiet it is. And the Tikka Compact .223 is both girls' favorite to shoot (mine too). My oldest has told me many times that it's so much easier to crawl in behind the rifle knowing that the suppressor is there. And both are rookie enough that communication is key when we're lining up an animal - the suppressor makes it so easy and comfortable.

My oldest killed her 4th buck this year at 285 yds. One and done bang/flop, watched it drop in the scope. My middle daughter killed her first this year at 225yds. One and done bang/flop, watched it drop in the scope.

Honestly, knowing my girls, the .223 (and now with a suppressor) is the reason they're still interested and having fun with it. I really think they'd have drifted away from the idea if I had put a larger cartridge in front of them.

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Don't mean to clutter the thread but....
I'm desperate for a 223 tikka bolt. Shoot me a pm to keep it off this thread if u have one to sell. Just thought I might be targeting the right crowd 🙂