.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

so last fall due to this thread I loaded up some 77 gr tmk and gave them to a buddy to try, sounded like the perfect round for his kids who are getting into hunting, and are needing something light recoiling. We both have tikka 8 twist 223s. I tried varget, h 4895, and imr 8208 before settling on 8208 cause thats the only one i could bet 2800+ out of. I have since switched to tac with the same speeds and accuracy and its findable. I was never able to get better groups than a consistent 1 inch 5 shot group. Despite both our guns shooting much much better accuracy with a lot of other bullets, mostly 50-55 gr varmint bullets, never tried heavier. I have aftermarket mags which allow me to seat anywhere I please, everything was tried.

So all together they shot 6 deer with them and here is where it gets interesting. Low 2800s muzzle velocity.

All shot broadside behind shoulder at 90 yards and under. No big whitetail bucks, all does and spikes. 3 went down fast. 1 stumbled 50 yards and left a lot of blood. 2 ran 50 to 60 yards and left 0 blood . 0 of 6 bullets exited. Nothing really found under the hide or inside besides shrapnel. Big holes in first lung, a lot smaller hole in second. No bones hit besides ribs. bullets seemed very splashy, not alot of penetration at these closer ranges. Honestly a tough 55 gr sp from speer, sierra or hornady(they all make a tough sp 55gr 22 cal) does better penetration wise.

eric1115

WKR
so last fall due to this thread I loaded up some 77 gr tmk and gave them to a buddy to try, sounded like the perfect round for his kids who are getting into hunting, and are needing something light recoiling. We both have tikka 8 twist 223s. I tried varget, h 4895, and imr 8208 before settling on 8208 cause thats the only one i could bet 2800+ out of. I have since switched to tac with the same speeds and accuracy and its findable. I was never able to get better groups than a consistent 1 inch 5 shot group. Despite both our guns shooting much much better accuracy with a lot of other bullets, mostly 50-55 gr varmint bullets, never tried heavier. I have aftermarket mags which allow me to seat anywhere I please, everything was tried.

So all together they shot 6 deer with them and here is where it gets interesting. Low 2800s muzzle velocity.

All shot broadside behind shoulder at 90 yards and under. No big whitetail bucks, all does and spikes. 3 went down fast. 1 stumbled 50 yards and left a lot of blood. 2 ran 50 to 60 yards and left 0 blood . 0 of 6 bullets exited. Nothing really found under the hide or inside besides shrapnel. Big holes in first lung, a lot smaller hole in second. No bones hit besides ribs. bullets seemed very splashy, not alot of penetration at these closer ranges. Honestly a tough 55 gr sp from speer, sierra or hornady(they all make a tough sp 55gr 22 cal) does better penetration wise.

Do you think a 55 SP would have given you quicker kills than the 3/6 DRT and 3/6 50ish yard runs?

Also, if you want exits there's no need to push speed. I've gotten good exits out of that bullet on 200 yard shots. If those 100 to 200 (even 300) yard shots are the norm for the kids you're loading for and you want exit holes, just dump a mild load of varget (or tax or whatever you like) in, shoot them at 2500 or 2600 MV and follow your 50 yard blood trails. You only need to chase that velocity of you want upset velocity at 400+.

Do you think a 55 SP would have given you quicker kills than the 3/6 DRT and 3/6 50ish yard runs?

Also, if you want exits there's no need to push speed. I've gotten good exits out of that bullet on 200 yard shots. If those 100 to 200 (even 300) yard shots are the norm for the kids you're loading for and you want exit holes, just dump a mild load of varget (or tax or whatever you like) in, shoot them at 2500 or 2600 MV and follow your 50 yard blood trails. You only need to chase that velocity of you want upset velocity at 400+.
the tough 55 gr sp kill very well. Either exit or nice mushroom on the other side under the hide.

eric1115

WKR
the tough 55 gr sp kill very well. Either exit or nice mushroom on the other side under the hide.

No doubt they do fine. But aside from the pretty shape of the mushroom, do you think they kill more effectively?

Like based on those 6 (which I'd say are well within the window of what I expect to see given that impact velocity), if you saw video of 20 deer dying that way and 20 the way you expect with a 55SP, and you couldn't inspect bullets afterwards or know which was which, in what way does the deer's behavior after the shot differ?

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
No doubt they do fine. But aside from the pretty shape of the mushroom, do you think they kill more effectively?

Like based on those 6 (which I'd say are well within the window of what I expect to see given that impact velocity), if you saw video of 20 deer dying that way and 20 the way you expect with a 55SP, and you couldn't inspect bullets afterwards or know which was which, in what way does the deer's behavior after the shot differ?
I think it would be useful for the 77grn TMK mist to be cleared from some people's eyes. As much as this thread illustrates they work very well it also shows that there is a cluster of other projectiles that are also very effective. We shouldn't be blinded to that. They don't need to be listed 'cos as the fans say, "read the thread".
I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if the only projectile I could use on deer in my .223 was a Gameking. The weight wouldn't concern me much.

I think it would be useful for the 77grn TMK mist to be cleared from some people's eyes. As much as this thread illustrates they work very well it also shows that there is a cluster of other projectiles that are also very effective. We shouldn't be blinded to that. They don't need to be listed 'cos as the fans say, "read the thread".
I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if the only projectile I could use on deer in my .223 was a Gameking. The weight wouldn't concern me much.
yup the 55 gr 1365 and the bigger version, is it 65 gr? those are about the most versatile hunting bullets all around in 22 cal there is. unless you need the new high bc stuff. and they shoot groups 1/3 the size in my guns as the 77 tmk

eric1115

WKR

The only 77TMK mist I have comes from rock chucks.

There are lots of good .223 bullets for 200 yard and under shots on deer. There aren't many that are good to 400+ with .223rem MV's. That's the unique thing about this bullet, 400+ yard terminal performance with .223 recoil exists with 77TMK, 73ELDM, and that's about it if you're loading to 2.25 mag length.

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
The only 77TMK mist I have comes from rock chucks.

There are lots of good .223 bullets for 200 yard and under shots on deer. There aren't many that are good to 400+ with .223rem MV's. That's the unique thing about this bullet, 400+ yard terminal performance with .223 recoil exists with 77TMK, 73ELDM, and that's about it if you're loading to 2.25 mag length.
There's a whole cluster of bullets in that 70-80 grn class that you could throw a blanket over for performance.

I have some of the 6.5mm 107 grain models and the external ballistics are nearly identical to the 107 TMK. I bought them to shoot in my 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini. They do not have the cannelure like these do though.

Unfortunately I do not have any on game performance data to compare though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Igloo

FNG
From the sound and pictures, I think I'd like what the TMK does starting around 2600 fps or so much more where its less splashy.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
From the sound and pictures, I think I'd like what the TMK does starting around 2600 fps or so much more where its less splashy.
If you are hunting in the woods or if you can choose the yardage where is animal is standing, yes.
I would rather load faster and go for the part of the vitals where "spashy" doesn't matter, I almost always can in the woods. Then at distance I will have the remaining velocity to get the job done!

Igloo

FNG
Yeah it fits your needs or it doesn't. At 300 yards its still doing fine if it starts at 2600 fps and thats several times farther out than woods range :)

Don't care beyond that at all. Someone else may.

Thats why I said for me, and didn't speak for everyone.

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
For a couple years I shot crop damage with a 223. Sierra gameking worked decent. As stated above vitals are very important. I did mainly head shots. Obviously not my first choice for hunting. My 308 is my go to

I also dropped a 225 lbs black bear with it. Head shot. From a blind over bait

That was a savage 12fvss with a 26” barrel

Tahr

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another perspective. 60 grn Hammer Hunter at 175 yards. This is purely collecting meat for a charity.
I have another .223 that is sighted in for the 77TMK.

Goat with same at 145 yards

Last edited:

Igloo

FNG
Almost like shooting things in the spine drops em right there or something ;)

Nice shooting

BLJ

WKR

2562 FPS muzzle velocity. Impact about 65 yards and ran around 40 (or really close to that).

1) Heart and lungs.
2) Chest cavity
3) Entrance
4) Exit

I’m at 1800 around 415. It’s a very effective load for where I hunt.

Thought you might want some visuals from around that velocity.

IMG_2948.jpegIMG_2947.jpegIMG_2944.jpegIMG_2949.jpeg

Last edited:

Igloo

FNG
Reactions: BLJ