.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Did the "legitimately wants to understand they why of something" not come across? Whatever, its an interesting thread. Its funny to see the defensive fangs come out when someone questions or asks about it. I'll go back into my hole and leave you to it now.
Follow the quotes to the original. I’m talking about the S-3 post coming in hot while admitting to not looking at any of the previous 350+ pages.

ElPollo

WKR
I'd love 2 things from this thread.
1. A bit more of a teacher's mentality from the "believers", rather than the bullying if you are skeptical/unsure

2. A hot link straight to the wound channels. I am interested in hunting accuracy and seeing what the bullets do on flesh and blood. I hop around the thread trying to find posts from September to December, but there's a lot of fluff in between. It's worth finding them, but I like seeing dead stuff and would love to see a higher density of obliterated lungs per post.

good thread! Wish Ohio wasn't a straightwall state. So many different ways I wanna kill things, but can't.
1) It important to understand that this thread is about data, not opinions or feelings. Often time being confronted with data that contradicts strongly held opinions and feelings can make people defensive. Likewise ignoring data that contradicts strongly held opinions and feelings can make other people defensive. But ultimately those defensive feelings hopefully make us question and test our beliefs and help us become better at what we do.

2) There is a source for hot links to the wound channels. At the top of the thread there is a link to the cheat sheet, which is a post that contains hotlines to a lot of the kills recorded in the tread by species. You can find it here:

KHntr

Lil-Rokslider
No I have read various parts of the post , but the sheer volume makes it difficult to ring out useful information, it really doesn’t help that my .223 is a old
1:12 twist and can’t stabilize a oversized heavy for caliber bullets
But I have tried to glean from this one
Won’t spin the 62 TTSX either. You’ll have better luck with the 45 or 50 TSX.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Short on time to reload. Has anyone tried the Hornady Critical Defense 73gr FTX? Looking for a kid friendly black bear load until I can find my 77 gr TMKs and free time to reload. If it's horrible we stick with the 6.5 Grendal

brockel

WKR
I shoot a 53 vmax on groundhogs with my 22-250. Rarely do they exit 8-10 pound pigs under 250 yards with a muzzle velocity of 3650fps.
I’m not discrediting what youre saying but I would like to see pictures of carcasses and internals when hit with 45-55gr class varmint bullets in the ribs.
Does anyone here have on game experience with this?
Have done it with a 35 grain Berger varmint hollow point out of a 204 straight on shot. Looked like a blender in the chest cavity. Was before had a camera phone and never carried a camera with me. Was my fur load for coyotes.

Last edited:

BigNate

WKR
No I have read various parts of the post , but the sheer volume makes it difficult to ring out useful information, it really doesn’t help that my .223 is a old
1:12 twist and can’t stabilize a oversized heavy for caliber bullets
But I have tried to glean from this one
The 62gr Barnes isn't very stable if at all out of the 1:12, it's long.

The better choice would be 64gr Win PP, Nosler bsb, or the 50gr Barnes TTSX. But none of these give the same reach as the 77gr TMK

Unclecroc

FNG
Have done it with a 35 grain Berger varmint hollow point out of a 204 straight on shot. Looked like a blender in the chest cavity. Was before had a camera phone and never carried a camera with me. Was my fur load for coyotes.
Good deal. That impressive penetration on a frontal shot. You’re not the first person I’ve heard of to shoot a deer with a 204 in the chest cavity.

S-3 ranch

WKR
The 62gr Barnes isn't very stable if at all out of the 1:12, it's long.

The better choice would be 64gr Win PP, Nosler bsb, or the 50gr Barnes TTSX. But none of these give the same reach as the 77gr TMK
Thank you for the kind reply, I found some barns 50gr & some tsx 55gr
It’s going to be a ranch truck gun and lead is no issue here for hunting

SBR Sarge

Lil-Rokslider
With the Barnes 50 gr, be sure to read what you are getting.

Black Hills loads an ‘optimized’ 50 gr for LE use. That bullet is apparently made stouter than the regular 50gr.

If you buy Black Hills, that is what you’ll get. If you buy Barnes ammo or loose bullets, you should be getting the regular stuff, which is what you’d want.

ElPollo

WKR
Not a thread I expected to have 368 pages. Yikes
Check out the cheat sheet that is linked on the first post. It will help navigate to the important stuff. If your initial response is BS, you’re in for an interesting ride. It may change a few of your preconceived notions about ballistics.

Beauseph

FNG
Check out the cheat sheet that is linked on the first post. It will help navigate to the important stuff. If your initial response is BS, you’re in for an interesting ride. It may change a few of your preconceived notions about ballistics.
I'm not one to discount any theory, claim, or the like without some research and experience. I was just surprised at the vastness of this discussion.