2024 Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Got my second shot done this morning and of course I had to miss. Even though I pulled my shot high I feel more comfortable and confident with this setup than I ever have before. I’ve got a 300 rounds of 223 and another 100 for the creed on the way. I plan on trying the challenge again in a few weeks to see if I can improve. Thank you rokslide staff and sponsors for this ass kicked of a challenge. Now if I can get lucky in the prize pool I’ll really be feeling good.

Got news of this opening from the Rokcast and jarred me out of the work-family-scouting cycle! I'm glad to see this continue with all the great work from Rokstaff and the like!

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider
I was disappointed to see that you weren't shooting an M1 with iron sites. But good work on the AR!
Haha, good point! Unfortunately I'm not sure that my CMP rack grade M1 (with Greek surplus ammo) and I are quite up to that task. I'd love to attempt it with a better example of an M1. Or see someone else try!

lak2004

WKR
Posted my shots last night. I tried multiple rounds before I said to hell with it and posted 2 misses. I think my scope needs a slight windage adjustment. After my 2nd shot I fired 4 more rounds at 590 and hit all four. I thought about starting over again, but I just need to practice my position better. I'm going to sight in and confirm my drop/windage at distance.

Any preference for a rear bag? I shoot off my pack or tripod mostly (no bipod). The rear bag I'm using sucks. It's heavy and not very formable.
56be405fa7e2cdd87abc2c9806a1b2d8.jpg
12cff6454585301805e3b582f4026106.jpg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Posted my shots last night. I tried multiple rounds before I said to hell with it and posted 2 misses. I think my scope needs a slight windage adjustment. After my 2nd shot I fired 4 more rounds at 590 and hit all four. I thought about starting over again, but I just need to practice my position better. I'm going to sight in and confirm my drop/windage at distance.

Any preference for a rear bag? I shoot off my pack or tripod mostly (no bipod). The rear bag I'm using sucks. It's heavy and not very formable.
I might try a fancy rear bag but for the last 5 years I’ve used a whiskey bag stuffed with game bags. Has worked fine and since I carry game bags already, no added weight.

lak2004

WKR
I might try a fancy rear bag but for the last 5 years I’ve used a whiskey bag stuffed with game bags. Has worked fine and since I carry game bags already, no added weight.
I like this idea. I had thought about the mollinator or the new jellyfish since they are form approved, but I can't justify spending $100/each bag. I'm gonna try this and my bino pack as well next outing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Well, that’s what this competitions for I guess.

Remind me your post number. I need to check it out. I can’t tell by this post if you shot two shots on the same day. Probably not but until Justin gets back I’m supposed to check things out.

lak2004

WKR
Well, that’s what this competitions for I guess.

Remind me your post number. I need to check it out. I can’t tell by this post if you shot two shots on the same day. Probably not but until Justin gets back I’m supposed to check things out.
Hey Robby, post #51. I shot on the 14th for shot 1 and 19th for shot 2, just added that. I posted the videos the same day after shot #2. If that's against the rules, I don't mind restarting the challenge, though! I'd probably do better and actually get to move out farther.....

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby, post #51. I shot on the 14th for shot 1 and 19th for shot 2, just added that. I posted the videos the same day after shot #2. If that's against the rules, I don't mind restarting the challenge, though! I'd probably do better and actually get to move out farther.....
OK, I checked it out and Hanks too, I see that you shot on different days. What the confusion was, is you’re supposed to post “each day“ as you shoot. That’s in #4, and implied by instructions to Edit original post, but I realize it’s not very clear.

(There was no problem with doing the follow up shots after your second shot by the way)

You guys should be good but ultimately it’s @Justin Crossley ‘s call. The spirit of the challenge is shoot, post that day, and then shoot your next day, then post.

Sounds like you’re thinking about re-entering the challenge anyways, if you do it, you can just delete your other videos in your original thread if you do. 👊👊

lak2004

WKR
OK, I checked it out and Hanks too, I see that you shot on different days. What the confusion was, is you’re supposed to post “each day“ as you shoot. That’s in #4, and implied by instructions to Edit original post, but I realize it’s not very clear.

(There was no problem with doing the follow up shots after your second shot by the way)

You guys should be good but ultimately it’s @Justin Crossley ‘s call. The spirit of the challenge is shoot, post that day, and then shoot your next day, then post.

Sounds like you’re thinking about re-entering the challenge anyways, if you do it, you can just delete your other videos in your original thread if you do.
Thanks sorry for the confusion.

I just posted my "Day 1". I tried to get a buddy involved (screen shot below) ...

The first time I tried to go out to "The Boonies" for my Day-1 shoot, I got stopped 1/2 mile from the highway exit by some traffic accident (shooting is 10 miles past there, so no, I'm not walking). Googled an alternative route but one of the "roads" was up a creek and the neighborhood watch guy said "you can't get there from here, you gotta turn around." It was 97* by the time I got to the club instead, and super windy so I fired five rounds on the long (300 yds) range and went home.

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 5.53.15 PM - Copy.jpeg

Last edited:

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I just posted my "Day 1". I tried to get a buddy involved (screen shot below) ...

The first time I tried to go out to "The Boonies" for my Day-1 shoot, I got stopped 1/2 mile from the highway exit by some traffic accident (shooting is 10 miles past there, so no, I'm not walking). Googled an alternative route but one of the "roads" was up a creek and the neighborhood watch guy said "you can't get there from here, you gotta turn around." It was 97* by the time I got to the club instead, and super windy so I fired five rounds on the long (300 yds) range and went home.

View attachment 726972
“Um, yeah, so what had happen was, I am quadruple booked already with things, stuff, what-not, and so forth. So as you can see, that’s a lot of goings on to step away from for an hour and perform on demand. Childish really, I don’t put my socks on for less than 800 yards, that’s a good exercise for you though…”

1718994549282.jpeg

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Yea his home range is like 137 yards max. But I can only post the above and rag on him b/c I finally got my act together (well, started to anyway, again)...
You’re good man, just get out there and press the trigger.

It’s especially funny to me because I had two similar reactions from two guys at work when I asked them in May. When they found out it was going to be on video, one gave me the “yeah, oooooh, so, uh, I only have so many hand loads left” and the other was a “10 inches at 600 yards is over 1.5 MOA, which isn’t a challenge because my rifle shoots .5 MOA all day.”

I spit my coffee out and about had a laughing seizure when I heard the second response. Both of them are headed to Idaho for deer this year and I might have overheard some things they were saying, so there is a bit of a backstory on why I specifically asked those two yahoos.